Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, that might have been the case then, but what I propose is a work for housing program. As has been suggested, even filling potholes works.

I used to work in a shelter and always took issue with the "empowerment" model. Women would come in and get free shelter and food and not have to look for work. I disagree with this.
Good afternoon, I updated my post to give you a more detailed answer and included solutions. I also responded to your single payer comment with a solution that might work for people who want it and people who don't.

I don't have a problem with your solution in general, I just don't know if I want the federal government in charge of it because it will NEVER come to an end. I'd rather see a state or county government implement this or whatever solution they see fit, since states and counties can't keep borrowing money to keep programs going. They have to either cut or eventually go bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Yes, I am. You would not believe the tough stuff I've had to do. I would have zero problem exiting someone out the door who was not willing to look for work or do some sort of community service.

What I DID have a problem with was putting moms and kids out on the street which, yes, I had to do. It wasn't my choice. I ended up quitting as I just couldn't live with putting babies out on the street for stupid reasons.
So you DO want workhouses for the poor..
http://www.cottontimes.co.uk/poorlawo.htm

Now back to the topic of paying for it....are you personally willing to pay $60 out of every $100 you earn to taxes?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Fourth Turning is an excellent read on history as repeating cycles that happen every 80 years or so.

The last turning was the Great Depression. Do the math....
Exactly. Thom Hartmann (brilliant and VERY reasonable liberal talk show host) has talked about this before and I posted a thread about this very subject here but there was very little interest.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Exactly. Thom Hartmann (brilliant and VERY reasonable liberal talk show host) has talked about this before and I posted a thread about this very subject here but there was very little interest.
I have posted often about this as well. That book really opened my eyes.
I try to push it whenever the opportunity arises..like it did with that post.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So you DO want workhouses for the poor..

Now back to the topic of paying for it....are you personally willing to pay $60 out of every $100 you earn to taxes?
No, I don't. I just believe that one has a responsibility to look for work when receiving free room and board on the state.

I would be ok with a 40% tax rate off the top of my head. I don't know what the tax rate is over in Scandinavia exactly, but if pressed, I'd go higher.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I understand dependency and comfort zones made people less likely to move on as times got better. Which can be a trap they get themselves caught up in.

Not sure what the solution is, but it should be a solution that benefits America as a whole, short term relief and long term benefits for the country.

I'm almost tempted to say a funded community farm where they put in a days work for food and boarding and also take education classes for different skills at night, where they would have a better paying job to look forward to.

But, since they would be funded, the people running it would have a vested interest in keeping the gravy train going, like for profit prisions.
Dishonesty and Corruption is rampant.

It also almost sounds like Fema Camps, which I don't advocate either.

A think a lot of the problems we face today is our loss of morals.
I'm not part of any religion, but I can see how the conditioning could help society if people believed someone was watching over them, to be honest with one another in all affairs and to help one another.

Instead we live in a society where its profits and materialism at all costs over anything else.
I don't mind your solution, I just don't want the federal government put in charge of it. I'd rather a state or county undertake this project. What's best for one state's citizens and unemployed may not be best for another state. The citizens on another side of the country may not even agree with that program, which is why it should be locally funded.

We Americans need to stop thinking straight up to federal government whenever there's a problem. It's hard for a big daddy government to effectively meet the needs of 50 different states with dozens of counties and cities within those states with different needs.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:17 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
No, I don't. I just believe that one has a responsibility to look for work when receiving free room and board on the state.
Uhh, yes that is what a workhouse was....

Quote:
Just what was the workhouse? Put simply, it was a public institution which housed and fed people who were unable to support themselves.
If these people were otherwise fit, they were put to work.

Quote:
I would be ok with a 40% tax rate off the top of my head. I don't know what the tax rate is over in Scandinavia exactly, but if pressed, I'd go higher.
Just under 58%.
SO for every $100 you earned,you would get to keep $42.
Is that good with you?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
We once had poor farms in this country.....very scary thought.
HISTORY
Thanks for the link.

It almost seems like these poor houses were not voluntary in some cases (guilty of begging) and makes me wonder what kind of controls and restrictions were placed on the occupants there.

That would not be inline with what I was thinking.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have posted often about this as well. That book really opened my eyes.
I try to push it whenever the opportunity arises..like it did with that post.
Here's a good link to it. Looks like you can read a lot online.

The Fourth Turning: An American Prophecy Study Guide | William Strauss | BookRags.com

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
You better believe if I had the say I would have kicked them out. I always thought these women should have had to look for work a minimum of two or three hours a day.

I volunteer teaching homeless youth as well as the food bank, and each morning the youths are required to hit the pavement as part of being able to stay at the shelter.
You would kick them out, but would the politicians in charge? Remember, they always have an upcoming opponent or opposite party waiting to pounce on them with a story in the media of them "kicking poor people out of housing". It won't say the person reached their limit or was lazy. That possibility creates inaction, extensions, and exemptions.

Once again, I'm fine with your solution, just not at the federal level. If your state wants it, I applaud you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies