Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Uhh, yes that is what a workhouse was....

Just under 58%.
SO for every $100 you earned,you would get to keep $42.
Is that good with you?
You're wrong. I merely say that someone must spend some time each day looking for work for free room and board, as is the requirement at the homeless shelter where I volunteer.

Yeah, if it meant universal health care and the other benefits, I could live with higher taxation. REALLY. So you can stop asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon, I updated my post to give you a more detailed answer and included solutions. I also responded to your single payer comment with a solution that might work for people who want it and people who don't.

I don't have a problem with your solution in general, I just don't know if I want the federal government in charge of it because it will NEVER come to an end. I'd rather see a state or county government implement this or whatever solution they see fit, since states and counties can't keep borrowing money to keep programs going. They have to either cut or eventually go bankrupt.
Well, I say let the Feds manage it, or you are going to get people going to states where the requirements are different and that might not work so well.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
You're wrong. I merely say that someone must spend some time each day looking for work for free room and board, as is the requirement at the homeless shelter where I volunteer.
I posted what a workhouse was,it is where you worked to pay for your room and board basically,just like you suggest.

Quote:
Yeah, if it meant universal health care and the other benefits, I could live with higher taxation. REALLY. So you can stop asking.
I believe you are allowed to pay more to the gov. now if you choose to....

Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 PM

If everyone is taxed 60 cents on the dollar,won't you be making more people who will need help?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You would kick them out, but would the politicians in charge? Remember, they always have an upcoming opponent or opposite party waiting to pounce on them with a story in the media of them "kicking poor people out of housing". It won't say the person reached their limit or was lazy. That possibility creates inaction, extensions, and exemptions.

Once again, I'm fine with your solution, just not at the federal level. If your state wants it, I applaud you!
I am the one who took issue with kicking out moms with babies and I would have been the one to contact the media. Not one person ever didn't leave, as the police would have been called. But I tell you, you have no idea how hard it is to put a mom and family out on the street with nowhere to go. I had to leave that job.

While I see your reasoning for keeping it at the state level, I also see room for potential abuse.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Fourth Turning is an excellent read on history as repeating cycles that happen every 80 years or so.

The last turning was the Great Depression. Do the math....
That provides momentary relief and introspection, that what were going through has happened many times before, only, my fear is we now have power to destroy the world many times over.

While war is common and happens often, and depressions also happen every 80 years, how often have civilizations wiped themselves out?

Given that man has been on the planet for 200,000 years, or 2.2 million if you count homo genus, I wonder how many times we have wiped ourselves out?

Its all speculation, but some say there have been nuclear wars in the past.

Belief in Prehistoric Nuclear War Reveals Modern Fears

Old 01-14-2011, 03:30 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
I don't mind your solution, I just don't want the federal government put in charge of it. I'd rather a state or county undertake this project. What's best for one state's citizens and unemployed may not be best for another state. The citizens on another side of the country may not even agree with that program, which is why it should be locally funded.

We Americans need to stop thinking straight up to federal government whenever there's a problem. It's hard for a big daddy government to effectively meet the needs of 50 different states with dozens of counties and cities within those states with different needs.
I agree with this assessment that it should be locally funded by state governments. The federal government seems to only make things worse, or there is a hidden agenda to suit their needs.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No, it isn't, but that doesn't mean they cannot at least use the FEMA camps as you mentioned. They are all over the country just sitting empty.
I'd rather sleep in my car. Do you really trust the government that they'll be letting people leave if they don't like it? If these places are out from populations how do the homeless become not homeless cut off from everything. Do you know how fast the survival mode hits when you walk into a room of fifty people sleeping on a concrete floor in little 1/4 inch mats and you are next? How short a time until you hit maintaince mode when the unbelievable is "normal" and the time before is, well, the time before?

And if you take these people there on busses with what they can carry (how else do they get there if they don't have cars) and they get "processed in" and someone is telling you what you can and cannot do all the time and there is some kind of barrier just what DO you call this place? Is this an image you really want in your head? Do we want government run "refugee" camps sitting there waiting for the next family who fell through the cracks?

And what if you decide you don't like this and would rather take your chances on the street? Do you get to leave on the next bus? And if the "instituionalized mode" hits so fast in a shelter in the middle of a city where tomorrow you don't have to come back and can leave anytime you want, just imagine the psychological effect of this psudo military detention camp.

A place in a park where people camp out and watch out with the city's blessing is a far far cry from that. But its visible. People hate seeing it. If instead you could have the bus waiting and get the reminders out of town so many would like the idea so much more. Until it got them.

Yes, we need a solution. This is not it. This is nightmares.

The idea than is to have workhouses where,in exchange for room and meals,a person works doing something.

Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
That provides momentary relief and introspection, that what were going through has happened many times before, only, my fear is we now have power to destroy the world many times over.

While war is common and happens often, and depressions also happen every 80 years, how often have civilizations wiped themselves out?

Given that man has been on the planet for 200,000 years, or 2.2 million if you count homo genus, I wonder how many times we have wiped ourselves out?

Its all speculation, but some say there have been nuclear wars in the past.

Interesting stuff. There are too many unexplaineds to summarily discount anything that might seem "out there." Thanks for posting the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies