Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It certainly explains her comments about wanting drugs prescribed for alcoholism instead of personal responsibility....

It is sad.
No, what it is, if anyone would take the time to read up on it, is that all of our efforts should be focused on treating psych issues from a scientific approach, not hocus pocus religion.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Your experience and reference proves that meeting people from singles dating sites may be dangerous -- and that criminals are known to have substance abuse problems -- not that AA is filled with these types.

You made the choice to date this person...

It really comes down to personal responsibility... yours.
Ok, let's look at this comparison, shall we?

The Rotary Club Challenge – Stinkin' Thinkin'

Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I don't assume that at all and I really don't care what you think of me. What I do care about is seeing that these other programs have a chance of getting off the ground in a 12 step dominated world. I am not the only one. If if were not against the rules here, I could post quite a few links of forums devoted to this purpose.

As to the rest of your post, you have proven yourself to NOT be of character to question anyone's reason for doing anything.
Why the personal attack?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
No, what it is, if anyone would take the time to read up on it, is that all of our efforts should be focused on treating psych issues from a scientific approach, not hocus pocus religion.
AA is meant to be a support group for people who want to quit drinking. The only thing that is required for "membership" is that you work the steps and want to quit drinking.

You've made it very clear that you want someone to prescribe a drug for you that will cure your problems. Good luck with that.

I sincerely wish you luck on your journey. You're going to need it.

WC out

Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why the personal attack?
No personal attack. I just think that it's a cheap shot to try to discredit MY character in an effort to diminish the message I am trying to get across.

And let's not forget that other incident the other day when you claimed I'd made some statement I had never made that was quite the serious accusation. Remember that? I told you I had made no such statement and that if I had I would have certainly received an infraction and that it was something that could have even been reported to the authorities. I did not appreciate that. You said you had "reported it" but that somehow the mods had deleted it, yet I never heard peep from the mods. This, to me, indicates questionable character.

And this is really OT and should be taken to DM if you want to further discuss this.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
AA is meant to be a support group for people who want to quit drinking. The only thing that is required for "membership" is that you work the steps and want to quit drinking.

You've made it very clear that you want someone to prescribe a drug for you that will cure your problems. Good luck with that.

I sincerely wish you luck on your journey. You're going to need it.

WC out
What I have made clear is that I want other alternatives available to people in a 12 step world.

In the hypothetical world of "what do we do with these DUI offenders" I suggested a couple of other ideas.

And I do believe that at times drugs are quite useful not just for those who want to stop drinking but for those who have other issues as well.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
What I have made clear is that I want other alternatives available to people in a 12 step world.

In the hypothetical world of "what do we do with these DUI offenders" I suggested a couple of other ideas.

And I do believe that at times drugs are quite useful not just for those who want to stop drinking but for those who have other issues as well.
Several times in this thread you've made that assertion.

It's no wonder that you hate AA. They don't offer drugs as an alternative.

They make you take personal responsibility for your actions and force you to look at your life and how your personal decisions have harmed you and those around you.

AA is not your problem... You seem to be wasting your time fighting the wrong battle.

In the end, it's your life -- your choice.

I sincerely hope you find answers to the important questions and the problems in your life. I wish you well.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-29-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
No personal attack. I just think that it's a cheap shot to try to discredit MY character in an effort to diminish the message I am trying to get across.

And let's not forget that other incident the other day when you claimed I'd made some statement I had never made that was quite the serious accusation. Remember that? I told you I had made no such statement and that if I had I would have certainly received an infraction and that it was something that could have even been reported to the authorities. I did not appreciate that. You said you had "reported it" but that somehow the mods had deleted it, yet I never heard peep from the mods. This, to me, indicates questionable character.

And this is really OT and should be taken to DM if you want to further discuss this.
Really????

You are here to teach???

Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
My mother in law runs a recovery clinic in Alameda County. Both for drugs and alcohol abuse (yes, before some smarta$$ says it, I know alcohol is a drug). I'm often brought in and help teach during certain parts of the courses (this includes DUI schools).

While the 12 Step Program maybe old and outdated, like it or not, it HAS worked for MILLIONS of people, across the world. Due certain things need to be updated, again, probably; however, how about coming up with the changes you would like to see, and put forth them? Whining about it won't change anything.

In so far as criminals being in these meetings, yes, you are correct. They are quite often court ordered to go; why? Because it works? Where I live, there are many female meetings only. Predators? Well, aren't you an adult? You are there trying to get clean/sober, not find a date for Friday night. If you can't say "no," or turn that person off, you have bigger issues then being in a 12 Step Program. Predators are everywhere.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Several times in this thread you've made that assertion.

It's no wonder that you hate AA. They don't offer drugs as an alternative.

They make you take personal responsibility for your actions and force you to look at your life and how your personal decisions have harmed you and those around you.

AA is not your problem... You seem to be wasting your time fighting the wrong battle.

In the end, it's your life -- your choice.

I sincerely hope you find answers to the important questions and the problems in your life. I wish you well.
First question, how would you know what AA does or does not do?

Second question, wanting to promote other choices is no waste of time. This battle won't be won by people not having more choices.

Third point, are you aware that in AA people have been told to quit their meds prescribed by their Drs. in the name of "that's not "real" sobriety" only to commit suicide?

Fourth, this isn't about ME, it's about all the people out there who have been brainwashed by AA to believe they have two choices - go to AA or drink and die.

Now, I really look forward to your answering my questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies