Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Huh? You should learn something about the program before you post this stuff. AA believes in relying on a higher power to help you get sober. Some people in AA stay fervently agnostic or atheist and choose their group as their higher power, whereas many others choose God as their higher power.

It's very basic AA philosophy. Any many people can't get sober without a higher power in their life.

It's interesting how the concept of a higher power threatens or challenges peoples beliefs and makes them uncomfortable. What do you care how people choose to get sober?
My higher power is psychopharmacology.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Huh? You should learn something about the program before you post this stuff. AA believes in relying on a higher power to help you get sober. Some people in AA stay fervently agnostic or atheist and choose their group as their higher power, whereas many others choose God as their higher power.

It's very basic AA philosophy. Any many people can't get sober without a higher power in their life.

It's interesting how the concept of a higher power threatens or challenges peoples beliefs and makes them uncomfortable. What do you care how people choose to get sober?
I've got almost 30 years sober in AA and I'm atheist.
So I guess you don't need a god thing to get sober.
I have no higher power.
You don't need one to get sober.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

Your post no. 100

Quote:
Me too, someone is living inside a world of anger and bitterness. I have close friends this program has helped and the fact Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob founded AA is a miracle. With the nonstop attack machine running full bore against God in this country I'm not sure it ever could happen today.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
I don't get it. Seems like AA works for a lot of people. I have a friend who goes to one that is Buddhist oriented. Looks like from what it says in the local paper there are gay and lesbian meetings, meetings for those over 55, all sorts of different groups including Christian church groups. I would think that the emotional support recieved from others going through the same thing would be a higher power in it's own right.

Since I'm on Misty's ignore list along with anyone else who dares to disagree with her, maybe someone else can answer this....why is it up to her to decide these things? If something works, it works.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Oh please, enough with the patronizing. Why don't you try addressing my valid points? Furthermore, if you can't say anything other than "good luck" basically in every one of your posts, why bother. This is a discussion around addiction and how to treat it.
If I thought that you were making valid points, I would be the first to address them.

Reading through this thread, I've certainly developed an opinion about what's going on here but I don't plan to share my thoughts.
If you don't appreciate the fact that I'm trying to stay positive toward you, and sincerely want wish you well, I can't help you out on that.

No doubt, drugs are needed as treatment for some mental illness. Alcoholism isn't one of them.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
I am enjoying reading these posts and I would like to make a comment. I have been involved in AA but not on a regular basis or even occasionally but I am a firm supporter of the program. My own feeling is that the makeup of the group is very important, just like in any other group situation. If you don't like that group or feel at home, the meetings are everywhere. I have met some real a..h....s that were AA regulars. I have met some genuine converts that were very down to earth and helpful.

The bottom line, we get out of it what we put into it and I willingness to be open to change. I agree that there should be other avenues open for treatment but I don't see any program having a lead on a cure rate and AA is cheap for everybody. And substituting one drug for another is stupid to me. I know a fellow that attended AA meetings and they all smoked pot. He said that was better than the alcohol and did less damage........really weird.

I will read on.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
If I thought that you were making valid points, I would be the first to address them.

Reading through this thread, I've certainly developed an opinion about what's going on here but I don't plan to share my thoughts. If you don't appreciate the fact that I'm trying to stay positive toward you, and sincerely want wish you well, I can't help you out on that.

No doubt, drugs are needed as treatment for some mental illness. Alcoholism isn't one of them.
LOL, and you would know this how...gosh, even a high priced shrink could not make such a statement...

Look, I started this thread as a way to really look at what we do in the world of addiction or addiction (hopefully science) to treat these disorders. If you don't want to speak to this issue specifically, I can't help that.

And, btw, you might want to google on Naltrexone and Campral for starters, if you think drugs have no place in this whole discussion. Oh, and Baclofen, while not used much in the USA, is another interesting drug that has helped many people.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:55 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
I would like to add, I have a nephew that uses a 12 step program for his eating disorder. It worked for him so who am to judge his method. He is a wonderful fellow, by the way, very bright, down to earth and 48 years old.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
LOL, and you would know this how...gosh, even a high priced shrink could not make such a statement...

Look, I started this thread as a way to really look at what we do in the world of addiction or addiction (hopefully science) to treat these disorders. If you don't want to speak to this issue specifically, I can't help that.

And, btw, you might want to google on Naltrexone and Campral for starters, if you think drugs have no place in this whole discussion. Oh, and Baclofen, while not used much in the USA, is another interesting drug that has helped many people.
No you didn't.
It's apparent that you started this thread simply to bash AA.
Have at it.
AA will be there long after you, and if you need it, the doors will always be open to people looking to recover.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I would like to add, I have a nephew that uses a 12 step program for his eating disorder. It worked for him so who am to judge his method. He is a wonderful fellow, by the way, very bright, down to earth and 48 years old.
Good for him. I once went to an OA meeting. The concept of having to call my sponsor because I ate one cookie too much was too much for me.

Weight Watchers is a great alternative.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
You can see whatever you want to see and I say projection much?

I'm not calling for an end, maybe a back seat for a while so these other programs can get on their feet, but not an end.

A judge is not a Dr. and should never prescribe drugs. Likewise, no member of any XA group should ever tell another member to stop taking Dr. prescribed drugs and this was commonplace years ago, to the extent XA had to come out with a publication telling its members to knock it off.

Still, and to this day, there are members in 12 step meetings who will not reveal they take meds for fear of judgment.

ETA: I have a story about this. There is this woman who heads up a SMART meeting. So she decided to go to the local AA club and put flyers on cars to promote SMART (as one never knows - perhaps for some it would have been a better fit). So she is all of 5 feet and 100 lbs. This guy comes out of AA and threatens her calling her a POS and then goes back in for reinforcement. She calmly explained to both of them that what she was doing was legal and asked them why they would not want people to have more choices. If you ask me, that woman had guts. I, personally, would not have done it for fear of getting beaten up or something. This is why I'd like to see XA take a back seat for a while.
Maybe I misunderstood. Didn't you say you wanted anyone who got a DUI to get medication instead of a program? That would be a judge calling for that, then, not a doctor.

And instead of squashing a program that works so that another that you prefer gets on its feet, why don't you let "survival of the fittest" work its magic?

As for your story (if it is true) - I'm not sure if it's legal or not to put fliers on a car, if you touch MY car, you're in for a world of hurt. Don't touch my property, especially to put trash on it. Trash I never asked for. But because a group of people that had a problem with that called this woman out on it, you want a group that you obviously hate because of religious reasons to "take a back seat for awhile"? Do I have that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies