Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No you didn't.
It's apparent that you started this thread simply to bash AA.
Have at it.
AA will be there long after you, and if you need it, the doors will always be open to people looking to recover.
I understand you are a diehard AAer and so be it. I don't care.

Believe it or not, the world is changing. AA will not be around forever. You're right. It may not go away in my lifetime, but it will, much like blood-letting for depression went away centuries ago.

You just do not obviously understand that SOME people want to see addiction science advance. Eventually, it will. Just like the snake pit went away as did the lobotomies.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Maybe I misunderstood. Didn't you say you wanted anyone who got a DUI to get medication instead of a program? That would be a judge calling for that, then, not a doctor.

And instead of squashing a program that works so that another that you prefer gets on its feet, why don't you let "survival of the fittest" work its magic?

As for your story (if it is true) - I'm not sure if it's legal or not to put fliers on a car, if you touch MY car, you're in for a world of hurt. Don't touch my property, especially to put trash on it. Trash I never asked for. But because a group of people that had a problem with that called this woman out on it, you want a group that you obviously hate because of religious reasons to "take a back seat for awhile"? Do I have that right?
Yes, you did misunderstand.

I don't believe in survival of the fittest, rather survival of those who perservere and have the money to do so.

It is perfectly LEGAL to put flyers on cars (in this town). Whoo, tough guy, are ya?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

I don't believe in survival of the fittest, rather survival of those who perservere and have the money to do so.

It is perfectly LEGAL to put flyers on cars (in this town). Whoo, tough guy, are ya?
I realize that I'm in your exalted "ignore list" (or so you claim), but it would seem that the medication that you so advocate isn't working in your case.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't get it. Seems like AA works for a lot of people. I have a friend who goes to one that is Buddhist oriented. Looks like from what it says in the local paper there are gay and lesbian meetings, meetings for those over 55, all sorts of different groups including Christian church groups. I would think that the emotional support recieved from others going through the same thing would be a higher power in it's own right.

Since I'm on Misty's ignore list along with anyone else who dares to disagree with her, maybe someone else can answer this....why is it up to her to decide these things? If something works, it works.
Because she knows best about everything, don't cha know.

Not sure what I'd do without her, though. I'd have to start doing aerobics, to get my heart pumping like her comments do. LOL

Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
I am reading because this is fascinating to me. But, this struck a chord about discredited treatments.

Quote:
mistygrl092..snipped...Furthermore, look at the strides that have been made with respect to mental illness. Ever hear of the snake pit and lobotomies? Thank God those are things of the past. Granted, psychiatry is still a hit or miss "science," but at least it's moving in the right direction. Addiction science is trying to, but when people keep sending people to XA it's going to take that much longer to really make progress in the field of addiction science.....snipped
I have an elderly client(74) that is very intelligient but has OCD and a host of other quirks. His wife finally gave up and had him put in the hospital because he was driving himself and everyone else crazy. They recommended electric shock therapy, which I had understood had been a discredited treatment several years ago. Well, bless Betsy, he had them and is like a new man. He has gone back to teaching and is much calmer and less compulsive. Now, I speak of this in regards to old therapies turning out to have some merit. Subsequently, I read that they have found shock therapy to benefit some, of course, not all. Now, regarding lobotomies...uh uh...I don't think so....

Old 01-29-2011, 05:15 PM

It is illegal in our town to put flyers on cars in a shopping center parking lot. It is private property.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Default Baclofen is a highly addictive drug...

Withdrawal from Baclofen is just like withdrawal from severe alchoholism or from any other drug addiction...

Quote:
Withdrawal Symptoms from Baclofen

Withdrawal symptoms are more likely if baclofen is used for long periods of time (more than a couple of months) and can occur from low or high doses. The severity of baclofen withdrawal depends on the rate at which baclofen is discontinued. Thus to minimise baclofen withdrawal symptoms the dose should be tapered down slowly when discontinuing baclofen therapy. Abrupt withdrawal is most likely to result in severe withdrawal symptoms. Acute withdrawal symptoms can be stopped by recommencing baclofen.

Withdrawal symptoms may include auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations, tactile hallucinations, delusions, confusion, agitation, delirium, disorientation, fluctuation of consciousness, insomnia, dizziness, Nausea, Feeling Faint, inattention, memory impairments, perceptual disturbances, anxiety, depersonalization, hypertonia, hyperthermia, formal thought disorder, psychosis, mania, mood disturbances, restlessness, and behavioral disturbances, tachycardia, seizures, tremors, autonomic dysfunction, hyperpyrexia, extreme muscle rigidity resembling neuroleptic malignant syndrome and rebound spasticity.

Overdose from Baclofen

Symptoms of a baclofen overdose include vomiting, weakness, drowsiness, slow breathing, seizures, unusual pupil size, and coma.
Baclofen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trading one drug for another does nothing to fix the underlying issues.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-29-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

Didn't you say "I don't see why not...of course, some people have to work and if they're working they might be better served by attending either the CBT or REBT groups I mentioned. At any rate, I think medication should be mandatory while attending." What part of mandatory medication did I misunderstand?

And isn't "survival of the fittest" the same as "those who persevere"? And you think only those with money should survive?

I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I am reading because this is fascinating to me. But, this struck a chord about discredited treatments.

I have an elderly client(74) that is very intelligient but has OCD and a host of other quirks. His wife finally gave up and had him put in the hospital because he was driving himself and everyone else crazy. They recommended electric shock therapy, which I had understood had been a discredited treatment several years ago. Well, bless Betsy, he had them and is like a new man. He has gone back to teaching and is much calmer and less compulsive. Now, I speak of this in regards to old therapies turning out to have some merit. Subsequently, I read that they have found shock therapy to benefit some, of course, not all. Now, regarding lobotomies...uh uh...I don't think so....
I am glad he had good results. The ECTs of today are not the ECTs of before. Nowadays they use a drug (I don't recall) with it but the patients are sedated for the process.

There are so many therapies out there today for depression apart from drugs - ECT, Vagus Nerve Stimulation...well, my point is that we should allow addiction science to move forward to make the same strides.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Good for him. I once went to an OA meeting. The concept of having to call my sponsor because I ate one cookie too much was too much for me.

Weight Watchers is a great alternative.
Yeah, he tried WW. He just finds that the concepts espoused in a 12 step program worked really well for him. He also has a severely alcoholic parent and the 12 step program helped him to come to terms with his anger with that parent. I dont think my nephew is particularly religious, he is a lapsed Catholic, but nothing else has worked for him. I am not sure what he considers his "higher power", he has made reference to that in conversations with him but I don't think it is "God" per se. Maybe it is a better, stronger something in his subconscious that is more powerful than what he can drag up consciously...I don't know. It works for him and that is all that counts....who cares, really.

eta: are you researching and writing a book ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies