Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Oh wow, man...

YOU:
Black Americans/African Americans/Nubian Americans are all one and the same people and we are all aware of the atrocities that occurred to our forefathers as far as the rapes and mistreatment

ME:
Really? That statement makes you a racist. You just said that all Black Americans are the same. Factually and logically, that is a racist statement. What happened to your forefathers at the hands of BOTH EUROPEANS AND AFRICANS was truly a shame. I mean that, but it's time you faced the truth of who did what.

Did slavery exist? Were Africans victim of it in america? Statement true
Not racist...fact

However, lets go back to the start of your horrible post:

YOU:
Whats the probelm? The man is biologically of mixed decent but is identified as being black by EVERYONE in this country, he identifies himself as being black, so again I ask whats the probelm?
ME:
The problem is when he denies his White side, that's racist against Whites. Sorry boo,it just is.

Please show me were a prominent person of color parading around as a white person and is accepted as such by whites in society. This was done in the early parts of the century it was called "passing". This was the reason (initially) why blacks started straigthening their hair. By the way he did not deny being part white, he identifies himself as being black.

YOU:
This is strictly an observation but whenever a black person with an obvious questionable racial mixture does well, he/she considered to be bi-racial.

ME:
You are reading too much into it. Actually, if posed with the question of the ethnicity of a human with a white parent and a black parent, the answer is a MULATTO. Every time. As to your accusation about ownership being considered on success, you're really reaching. I'm sure its happened in the past, but your using a huge blanket statement.

In this day and time (well maybe some areas in La.) I have not met any blacks that call or even considers themselves as "mulatto". If I'm using a huge blanket you are using a sheet.

YOU:
When that same person does something horrific he/she is looked at as being black. My case in point, when was the last time that you heard a newscaster describe a suspect as being bi-racial?

ME:
WOW? So, let me get this straight...a NEWSCASTER is who you used to represent all of soceity, or all whites? Your logic is flawed to say the least. Breaking it down: which newscaster? What year? Who cares? How many whites agreed with that? How many blacks? Did you do a poll? Can I see your work product? Did this newscaster also write for a paper? What it "The Call"? Was it a KKK paper? Give us details, because your vague use of a "Newscaster" is not a theory make.

Answer the question! When was the last time that you heard the word "bi-racial" in a description of a person of color in the news? Truth, you have'nt. I used the media because that is the way most people get their information from, good and bad. "he who controls the media, controls the world" look that quote up and you will see that it was not a black man either
YOU:
He/she is either Hispanic, Black, Asian or White.
ME:
Oh, I almost forgot, are you using the MAINSTREAM MEDIA as an example? They are too offended to speak the truth. Oh, they are also often only using examples given to them. OH, YOUR OWN LOGIC GOES AGAINST YOU. So,lets use Barack as an example. He does look more black than white, as most mulattos do. A person quickly describing someone visually, a suspect, only sees their skin. I'm sure they didn't have the chance to ASK THE ROBBER THEIR FAMILY HISTORY. That's unfair, but I'm just applying logic, which you seem allergic to. Wow, this post isn't going well for you!

Oh boy, you really don't get it do you? When that crazy chick claimed that a blackman car jacked her and took her kids, the police rounded up blackmen regardless of the shade of their skin. She did not describe her attackers as being "mulatto" or bi-racial she said "Black". People in this country look at appearances rather you like it or not. If not we would not spend billions of dollars on physical appearance products?

YOU:
Another thing, a person of color can claim that he/she is white and have black features but still will not be accepted as white person.

ME:
Really? By who? Blacks or whites or both? Also, if one is mullato, they are both WHITE ....AND BLACK. hence, both features.

By whites, we as blacks (most of us) have been conditioned to accept pretty much anyone into our families due to the history of this country, this does not hold true for many whites.

YOU:
Adversely that same person would be accepted into the black community without question.
ME:
Ah..I see what you did here. On the white side, you said this:

"Another thing, a person of color can claim that he/she is white and have black features but still will not be accepted as white person. "

You're unclear...do you mean accepted as a white person biologically, or accepted within the community. Because, conversely, you said:

"Adversely that same person would be accepted into the black community without question."

ok, so what is your point? Many whites still do not care for blacks and this is the reason that hate organizations have flourished throughout the history of this country

So, you're saying two different things. if you mean not accepted within the white community, says who? You? Have you done a poll of ALL white people? Can you show us your work product? Oh, on the accepted into the black community, now I know your reaching. I grew up in a VERY mixed area and the mulattos I knew had to FIGHT other blacks. Honestly, they seemed to like hanging with whites more, because they were more...accepted.

Did you ask them why? Seriously, if you don't know what you are talking about just let it go. I have a latinos sister in law as well as a polish one and one who is of german descent. Our family has accepted them, but in each of their families there is still some resentment towards my brothers

This post did not go well for you. Not the least of which you tried double speak and thought you wouldn't get caught.
Do you really think that I give a damn what you think of my post? I'm speaking from a perspective that you could NEVER understand except through the eyes of your own "mulatto friends"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 PM

785 posts, read 619,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Do you really think that I give a damn what you think of my post? I'm speaking from a perspective that you could NEVER understand except through the eyes of your own "mulatto friends"
WOW WOW WOW !

You just up and QUIT! Nice! I honestly expected some kind of fight! You can't address my points so you quit? For real, you might want to engage a bit more, because you, me, and society learns through these discussions. I really thought you would at least try, but instead you quit? I'm almost speachless on that....

Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
No I did'nt, if you were black you would proably understand but since you are not, you won't. Every black in this country has their own unique experiences with whites and there are some things that we all have shared with each other. Did I every mention anything about Colin Powell's self identification? What he perceives himself may not what america percieves him as being, this hold true for anyone who is actually bi-racial or multiracial. For every bi-racial person that marks "bi-racial" there will always be someone else that identifies themself as being "black".
You didn't address my points at all. Biologically, Barack is mulatto. Not one or the other, he's both. I addressed your bizarre "YOU'RE ALL RACISTS BECAUSE..." arguement, and you can't counter? See, I understand your points, but they don't address or relate to the direct points I made, and ones I made discrediting your arguments and positions.

VERY revealing.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I disagree with you on that point because it is based solely on exposure, if you have not been around the different type of people of asian descent you would not be able to tell one from another. I say Chinese simply because that is the asian race that many people identify with (I could have said japanese, filipino ect) Ask a Latino how many times have they been "mislabeled" as being of another nationality other than what they actually are.....it happens more than you think.

Oh by the way thank you for correcting me, it is not that I don't know the difference between the two....I just can't type
No, it's based on common sense. Anyone of basic education at least knows Asians are a plural lot. I am a white man and I can tell the difference among Asians quite well (but obviously not all the time). I realize others can't. I've often dated enough Asian women, and have enough Asian friends (I'm in NYC) to know how upset it makes them when people say variations of "Whats the difference, chinese, japanese, etc". It does happen a lot, that I agree with, and it is unnecessary. However, it doesn't automatically mean someone is a racist, often, just unneducated.

Oh, I'm a white dude, and I've often heard us all called....just WHITES. Um, don't you all know we have variations too? Italian, Russian, British, French, Spanish, etc etc etc.

Gotcha on the typing, it happens to me all the time. I'll leave that stuff alone in the future.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
No, it's based on common sense. Anyone of basic education at least knows Asians are a plural lot. I am a white man and I can tell the difference among Asians quite well (but obviously not all the time). I realize others can't. I've often dated enough Asian women, and have enough Asian friends (I'm in NYC) to know how upset it makes them when people say variations of "Whats the difference, chinese, japanese, etc". It does happen a lot, that I agree with, and it is unnecessary. However, it doesn't automatically mean someone is a racist, often, just unneducated.

Oh, I'm a white dude, and I've often heard us all called....just WHITES. Um, don't you all know we have variations too? Italian, Russian, British, French, Spanish, etc etc etc.

Gotcha on the typing, it happens to me all the time. I'll leave that stuff alone in the future.
I noticed that people from New York (city) sometimes take for granted that they have a sample of pretty much every nationality imaginable, but what many of you don't realize OUTSIDE of New York the rest of the country is not as diverse. In some cities there are people who have never seen an asian person neverless can tell the difference between them.

I don't recall ever calling you a racist either. I feel that you are trying to educated me on something that you learned second hand. Just for my own understanding I called a few of my friends and co workers from Pittsburgh to Atlanta and asked them what they thought of being called a "mulatto". Believe me it was not nice. Being called a mulatto for some of them was just like being called a "negro". It is an outdated term that can be considered to be offensive. Personally, I really don't believe that you are racist, it bit misinformed but not racist

Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
WOW WOW WOW !

You just up and QUIT! Nice! I honestly expected some kind of fight! You can't address my points so you quit? For real, you might want to engage a bit more, because you, me, and society learns through these discussions. I really thought you would at least try, but instead you quit? I'm almost speachless on that....
I did not "quit" but I realize trying to get you understand what it is to be black, outside of the few blacks that you know is like a women trying to explain to a man what it is to be pregnant. You can't understand. Blacks from different parts of the country have different experiences than the ones that you know. Since you mentioned that some of them were getting beat up by other blacks, have it ever occurred to you that they may not be (trying to word this correctly) mainstream blacks. Or in terms that some other blacks can understand.......people who have lost who and what they are

Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
How do blacks like yourself know what other black people think or feel,it isn;t like you have any real connection to the people HERE on this little island in SC for example....

Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How do blacks like yourself know what other black people think or feel,it isn;t like you have any real connection to the people HERE on this little island in SC for example....

What I said is that most blacks have had similiar experiences that only we can relate to. Of course there are a few exceptions but are basically regional and vary among age groups. If you don't believe me ask one of your bi-racial friends how they feel about being called a "mulatto"........I will wait

I can no more tell you how a brother in LA may think, or a sister in Nebraska, but there are some things that we especially blackmen have in common besides the color of our skin.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
do you consider him half-white or half-black. almost like the glass thing

Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
do you consider him half-white or half-black. almost like the glass thing
How about "half breed"? Happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies