Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Question: Why is Medicare, designed to provide affordable health care system to the elderly, is unaffordable?
Quote:
The real problem is the soaring costs of health care that lie beneath Medicare. They’re costs all of us are bearing in the form of soaring premiums, co-payments, and deductibles. Americans spend more on health care per person than any other advanced nation and get less for our money. Yearly public and private healthcare spending is $7,538 per person. That’s almost two and a half times the average of other advanced nations.
Mr. President: Why Medicare Isn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
AMERICA HAS LOST MILLIONS OF PERMANENT JOBS. They are not coming back. Never. Gone. No solution.
And who's to blame for that? We are.... we all are 100% to blame for that because we as a country elect completely corrupt morons to run this place. Why would we expect these same morons to fix something when they broke it?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM

8,896 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
^this. We can save money while taking the moral high ground as well- so who would object?
Governments have never been good at saving money. This government shows no talent for this skill.

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have never, ever, understood this argument. In the US, more people would be paying into the system as well. I'm not sure what, if anything, population density has to do with it. I work in health care, and the action is in the big cities. These days, there are fewer and fewer rural hospitals. People are either cared for at home, or in a big teaching hospital.
Why would the government put a top notch hospital in fly-over land where 18% of the US lives? How is that efficient? The whole argument for UHC is it cuts cost and provides better care.

Well, Katiana, they have to cut cost somewhere.

As Mircea repeats quite often it's related to the same reasoning behind economies of scale.

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Indeed. But I want one of those who see the brilliance and a success story with long term rosy aspects in American system as it existed until HCR came about to respond to it.

2,852 posts, read 6,486,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
You do realize your are already being taxes as many dollars for health care as a UHC sysyem would cost, don't you?

Well, the UK does have much better results than the USA. People live longer, their health lifespans are longer, infant mortality is lower, mothers have half the chance of dying in childbirth that they have in the USA, amendable mortality is less. So it'd probably be much better.

Those are all facts, btw. So I'm not going to take the anecdotal rants of someone anonymous on the internet too seriously.
And what I personally experienced and witnessed in the UK health system are FACTS! I would love to have the time to scan and upload the full reports on the criminally negligent dental care I received. I would also love to be able to FULLY describe to you what happened to me in their hosptials, not once, not twice, not three, but FOUR times, all different medical emergencies, but it is still very traumatising. Two of those incidents nearly killed me. My son nearly died under their hospital care and also now has permanent damage to his foot, where nearly every bone was broken and then badly healed, because they "didn't see" the broken bones in an x-ray. Until you lived what I did, don't accuse me of making anecdotal rants. You aren't the American doctors and dentists who now have to work with me and deal with the emotional and mental trauma a simple teeth cleaning or shot can cause!

Folks, look it up for yourselves. There IS a post code lottery in the UK when it comes to certain treatments. Also look at the high incidence of women under age 40 dying from breast cancer. As I've explained to others, and my BRITISH husband will back me up on this...the British, who constantly complain about the poor health care system, will, when critisized by Americans, become very defensive and do a flip flop, declaring that their system is the best in the world.

1,733 posts, read 1,822,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Unless everyone is paying it makes no difference if everyone is covered or not. How are my premiums going to be lower if they are now going to be covering more people who aren't paying? We know how that will be done, I can take a lower quality of care to cover others who aren't paying.
Actually, it is important that you are getting the same fraction of GDP in, not if the same amount of population is paying. In a coutry with greater income equality, we'd expect fewer people to be paying into the system while still getting the same funding.

Quote:
one of the great drivers for increased medical care cost is innovation. C-pap machines, Lap-bands, mechanical hearts weren't FDA approved just a decade ago. Now these expensive devices are prolonging life and enhancing quality of life, but also adding to premiums.
That is true, but other countries systems result in greater quality of life and longer lifespan for half the cost.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
So now I should be paying for everyone else's college as well as their healthcare?
First off, why do people always assume they PERSONALLY are going to be paying for things? Second off, do you not believe you PERSONALLY derive any benefit from a civilized and well educated society?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Governments have never been good at saving money. This government shows no talent for this skill.
Yeah, the self-defeaters NEVER get in the way.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
First off, why do people always assume they PERSONALLY are going to be paying for things? Second off, do you not believe you PERSONALLY derive any benefit from a civilized and well educated society?
People like myself assume that I will personally be paying for things because I pay taxes and last time I checked the gov. doesn't make any money other than what it takes from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies