Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

The doctor roably is part of why medicare cost have risen for deacdes and is on a unsustainble path. Keepig it the same is not a option as the trustees report pointed out.Its like knowig you will be broken soon and yet wanting to keep your house with a high mortgage.Hiding head i sand until the foreclosure comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
...and those are the days Ryan and the Republicans want to return us. There was a good reason my Dad used to call the "reactionaries" and the "Party for the rich."
LIES, LIES, LIES. Those are the days that the Democrats want us to return to. If we adopt the Ryan plan, Medicare will change, not end. If we continue on the current path, Medicare will end. It's a given. 2024. Mark that down. Now who's the party that wants to kill grandma?

Your dad sounds like a union shill. Or a govt employee. My dad used to call dems "long haired hippies", "domestic terrorists" and "commies". I just call them delusional.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The way to handle increasing expenses for Medicaid/Medicare is to mandate treatment and they require payment at a level that covers direct expenses, mostly salaries, but limits return on phony real estate investments. The other way is a Universal Health Care system that eliminates private sector administrative overhead and profit for both insurance companies and huge medical centers. The government owns the facilities and pays administrators government salaries instead of the Millions wasted on insurance company CEO's.
Having been on Medicare for over 13 years I find myself wondering how all this UHC and Single Payer crap works. Could you explain it to me, since you seem to be able to get through to me on most things whether I agree with you or not.

The thing that worries me most is how we manage to keep doctors who have spent all their money going to school and have to pay back loans practicing when they can't make more than any other employees. Also, I wonder how many people will want to become doctors unless the government pays for them to go to school.

May I say that I think the Medicare people in Bill Roy's home city aren't really very realistic in that they seem to be willing to pay people about what they were paying them 10 years ago although their payment methods have caused the care givers to raise what they as for. I just noticed a year ago that the man who has done my endoscopies for ten years asked for more than he had all along and got about $50 less than he did five years ago. I blamed that part on the Affordable Care law, facetiously.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you don't value your health enough to save up to take care of yourself, then why should I care?

Liberals hope to run up as many bills as they can and then die leaving the payment for the next generation to deal with. That is the definition of selfish greed.
What a "let them eat cake" attitude.

On this forum is a topic about the minimum wage, which most conservatives are against raising.

Tell me, how is the average worker supposed to save up hundreds of thousands of dollars for end-of-life care when wages are either stagnant or falling for most people (except the top?)

Obviously, we need to control health care costs, which the free market is not succeeding to do. In other industrialized countries, HC costs are 1/2 of the costs here.

It would seem to me that if the hard-right is serious about keeping costs down instead of stuck in a fixed ideology, they'd be the first to advocate for that plan. But no, they're slaves to the ideology and everything else is not important.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
LIES, LIES, LIES. Those are the days that the Democrats want us to return to. If we adopt the Ryan plan, Medicare will change, not end. If we continue on the current path, Medicare will end. It's a given. 2024. Mark that down. Now who's the party that wants to kill grandma?

Your dad sounds like a union shill. Or a govt employee. My dad used to call dems "long haired hippies", "domestic terrorists" and "commies". I just call them delusional.
Yes, Medicare will not end but I can replace the system that we have now with a system that gives you only two aspirins and call that Medicare -- but it won't be the same system.

What Ryan's Plan does is replace today's Medicare with a system that provides vouchers worth about 1/3 the cost of insurance and sends future seniors out into the marketplace to buy insurance. Worse, is that as time goes on, the voucher amount doesn't keep up with the cost of insurance.

It's a disingenuous plan that presumes that there are insurance companies willing to insure senior citizens at a price that they can afford. That was the reason Medicare was created in the first place -- seniors couldn't get insurance!!!

To say that Medicare is going to die anyway ignores the fact that budgets are choices. The Ryan Plan, along with savaging Medicare, also reduces tax-rates on the rich from 35% to 25%. That illustrates exactly GOP priorities -- cut taxes on the rich and declare that they have 'no choice' but to cut people's benefits. Well, there is a choice. Tax the wealthy and corporations that aren't paying any taxes enough to provide for the general welfare of our seniors.

By the way, my late Dad was a decorated World War II veteran (who volunteered on Monday, December 8, 1941) who fought the Nazis in North Africa so that you can have the freedom to mouth off here using your First Amendment rights. You should have more respect for brave men such as he.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:

Your father sounds like a really "deep" thinker; I can only wonder about the quality of the conversations in your household

Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The way to handle increasing expenses for Medicaid/Medicare is to mandate treatment and they require payment at a level that covers direct expenses, mostly salaries, but limits return on phony real estate investments. The other way is a Universal Health Care system that eliminates private sector administrative overhead and profit for both insurance companies and huge medical centers. The government owns the facilities and pays administrators government salaries instead of the Millions wasted on insurance company CEO's.
Good post; we are headed for single-payor insurance anyway; some may argue about it, but it seems inevitable..

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The doctor roably is part of why medicare cost have risen for deacdes and is on a unsustainble path. Keepig it the same is not a option as the trustees report pointed out.Its like knowig you will be broken soon and yet wanting to keep your house with a high mortgage.Hiding head i sand until the foreclosure comes.
I have been blaming Medicare, and will continue to do it, for much of what is wrong with our system. Here is why. The doctors and hospitals ask for a certain amount of money and Medicare pays them somewhere between 50% and 60% of what they ask for. Then they ask for much more for those who have insurance knowing that the company will probably pay. I say that all this is caused by having all those statewide bureaucratic groups called Medicare Boards deciding what they will pay. Honestly, they paid the surgeon who did my last endoscopy less than they had been paying him for 10 years.

I talked with a lady who had no insurance, about three years ago, and found that they charged her the amount for an endoscopy that was equal for what they asked for from insurance. She had to have the procedure or probably die so she had to form a monthly payment procedure with the hospital.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:

Then why does Ryan's plan wait until about the dooms day? What would be so wrong about it that it couldn't be implemented within 2-4 years and without special considerations to certain age group?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How long did you have to search to find that opinion piece from that relatively obscure Kansas newspaper? I am using that attack the messenger tactic you libs like so well. Does it feel good to get it used on you?

According to the Wikipedia article about Bill Roy, it seems that he practiced medicine few years after Medicare came into existence. In fact he was elected to the US House Representatives, as a Democrat, about 1970 and after two terms was unsuccessful in runs against Bob Dole and Nancy Landon Kassebaum. He did practice a bit in those years but not much.
I am inclined to say HEY GOOB why are you attacking me for no good reason. I won't do that though, i will say "Hey Sir". You refer to the newspaper as obscure. You might be right. The newspaper is "The Topeka Capital Journal Online" AND it took me about no time to find it because i read it daily. True though Kansas is rather obscure to most. Why attack
because you didn't like the article? There is no need to attack me personally because you don't have a good refute to the article. Are you saying that he is lying?
I like a good debate and you Sir do not seem up to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies