Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times

Advertisements

Begging for medical care | CJOnline.com

If you were among those without insurance, you either forwent care as long as you could, at a substantial risk to your life, or you asked for charity, never a pleasant task for an elderly person who has always taken pride in paying their bills. So many died from delaying care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
...and those are the days Ryan and the Republicans want to return us. There was a good reason my Dad used to call the "reactionaries" and the "Party for the rich."

Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,240 times
Sounds like this "pre-medicare" doctor already "has his living made", and won't have to endure the government, price-controlled healthcare that is coming.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

If you were among those without insurance, you either forwent care as long as you could, at a substantial risk to your life, or you asked for charity, never a pleasant task for an elderly person who has always taken pride in paying their bills. So many died from delaying care.

But the GOP in its current form would LOVE to return to those good old days, because working Americans are no longer their concern.

Give them credit; they're working like hell for their constituency.

Meet the boss

Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:

If you don't value your health enough to save up to take care of yourself, then why should I care?

Liberals hope to run up as many bills as they can and then die leaving the payment for the next generation to deal with. That is the definition of selfish greed.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 AM

1,027 posts, read 825,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you don't value your health enough to save up to take care of yourself, then why should I care?

Liberals hope to run up as many bills as they can and then die leaving the payment for the next generation to deal with. That is the definition of selfish greed.
Yep "save up" for the hundreds of thousands end of life care will cost you.

I just wish more republicans would actually SAY THIS IN PUBLIC!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Sounds like this "pre-medicare" doctor already "has his living made", and won't have to endure the government, price-controlled healthcare that is coming.
Let me join in with you on this attack of the messenger since I know a bit about him from fairly close up.

Having lived in Kansas all my life and certainly since 1957 when I got out of the Army I think I can tell you some things about "Dr" Bill Roy that I really believed in when Medicare came into existence but since I changed political parties in 1972 much of that thinking in support of Bill Roy did an about turn.

I remember Old Bill as a strong Democrat leader in a strong Republican state. He was a Republican until about 1970 when he changed to run for the US House of Representatives. He was in the House as a Democrat, a thing that doesn't often happen in Kansas, for two terms and then he tried to get into the Senate. He ran against Bob Dole and lost and then lost to Nancy Landon Kassebaum and lost again.

I will tell you a bit more about Bill Roy that I took from Wikipedia, which I really don't like to do but am lazy this morning.

Since 1989, Roy has been a regular columnist for The Topeka Capital-Journal. His columns often reflect a liberal perspective, including support for abortion rights[2] and opposition to the policies of President George W. Bush.[4] His 2001–2002 columns in The Topeka Metro News[citation needed] rallied sentiment to stop the sale of Kansas Blue Cross Blue Shield to Anthem of Indianapolis (now merged into Wellpoint).[5]
[edit]

Yep, old Bill became a very solid Democrat and just as much against the GOP as I am against his new party. The funny part of it all is that we made our switches about the same time.

I don't think Roy had a lot to do with the failure of Anthem to take over Kansas BC/BS. Nope, I always blamed that success on the then Insurance Commissioner, Kathleen Sebelius, who later became the Governor and now serves The Anointed One as Secretary of HHS and will be very important in the bureaucratic decisions about all health care if Obama manages to win again. I voted for her for all those offices above but she couldn't get my vote for city dog catcher since all her lies about Obamacare have been told.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:

How long did you have to search to find that opinion piece from that relatively obscure Kansas newspaper? I am using that attack the messenger tactic you libs like so well. Does it feel good to get it used on you?

According to the Wikipedia article about Bill Roy, it seems that he practiced medicine few years after Medicare came into existence. In fact he was elected to the US House Representatives, as a Democrat, about 1970 and after two terms was unsuccessful in runs against Bob Dole and Nancy Landon Kassebaum. He did practice a bit in those years but not much.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post

How much do you have saved up? To do that would require a person to have a second job all through adulthood. My FIL had gall bladder surgery 4 years ago and, due to his age, required 18 days in ICU and 7 weeks in a rehab nursing home. His retail cost bill would have been over $120,000. Now he's sick again and has been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes for the past 3 months. Just how much money do you think a person should save up? Where is the average American going to get that much money?

Realistically, you have to mean that each and every American can save $1,000,000 above and beyond what is needed for retirement living.

Somebody that believes this: Please explain how it is possible.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:

WRONG..

Medicare is NOT the same as the law which requires people to be treated at hospitals.

Are the only important people in your mind the elderly because it sure sounds like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies