Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
But what you are failing to address is how the current Category Ranking system works with vet preference. Because of the large amount of preference applicants applying to federal jobs, often the cutoff score for each individual vacancy announcement (for external announcements) is greater than 100. This means that NO non-preference applicants will be referred to the selecting official, no matter how highly qualified the non-preference applicant is.

This is not to mention that all a 10-point preference applicant needs to do is score an 80 to be referred over all non-preference applicants scoring even a 100. This is a huge difference in terms of qualifications on a numerical scale from 70-100. As you should be able to see, your best (and most qualified) applicant could be a non-preference applicant, but you as a selecting official would never even get to see their resume because the non-preference applicant would never even be referred under this new system.

So that brings us to the question, are we trying to determine the most qualified applicant, or are we just trying to give a preference applicant a job? The latter (and how the system is currently operating), sounds more like a job welfare program to me more than anything else.
you said scoring 80 and then getting a 10 point preference gets you ahead of someone with a 100? How does that compute.?
Even if you are hired there is a probation period. If you cannot do the job you are not retained.So if you keep the job..........correct me if wrong. but that would mean you are qualified........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 AM

169 posts, read 193,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
you said scoring 80 and then getting a 10 point preference gets you ahead of someone with a 100? How does that compute.?
Even if you are hired there is a probation period. If you cannot do the job you are not retained.So if you keep the job..........correct me if wrong. but that would mean you are qualified........
It doesn't compute, that's my point. Under the new category ranking system, all a 10-point preference applicant has to do is find their way in the top two categories, and they will receive consideration before ALL non-preference applicants due to the float rule. The same thing occurs with a 5-point preference applicant in the best qualified category.

Under the old numerical ranking system, cutoff scores could still be established over 100 (meaning no non-preference applicants could be referred), but there was no float rule, so non-preference applicants stood a little better chance on external vacancy announcements.

As for your comment about the probation period and being qualified, the goal of the federal government should be to hire the BEST qualified, not just someone who is minimally qualified. As I said before, all you have to do to be found "qualified" (which really means MINIMALLY qualified in HR terms) for a federal job is to score 70 on a numerical scale from 70-100. Often for GS-7 positions and below, this literally means being able to type 40 words per minute, or use basic computer software programs.

Now for an example of how the category ranking system works, let's just say you have a GS-5 Office Assistant position open. One applicant is a 10-point preference candidate with very basic computer software experience, but has enough experience to score an 80. The other applicant is a non-preference applicant with 10 years of directly related experience, and because of this experience, scores a 100 for a NOR score. Since the 10-point preference applicant scored in the top two categories with their score, this applicant automatically floats to the top of the best qualified category, and ahead of the non-preference applicant with the years of directly related experience. The preference applicant MUST be considered before the non-preference applicant, and if there are enough preference applicants, the non-preference applicant with all of the directly related experience will not even receive any consideration for the job at all.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
For those who said no, how do you feel about race and gender getting preferences (like points added for a government job) in hiring? It's well known that applying for many government jobs that if you're a black woman then you almost have the job right there. Funny the OP has a problem with vets getting this benefit but not race and gender.

Last edited by sailordave; 07-06-2011 at 01:37 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your first sentence is garbage and unproveable.
Here you go, I'm a vet and I didn't enlist for blind patriotism. So much for your ALL... And I know lots of people who joined for military benefits and job skills.
Do not tell me what I think or what my mentality is. But, at least I have one.

What are we fighting in the middle east for? OIL? Resources? What does our eternal war have to do with the US?
Really? What branch did you serve? What division/job and when? For someone who claims to have served, you sure do have a lot of hatred towards the military.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why don't you ask all the politicians, both repubs and dems, who voted for it and continue to supply the funds?
Because the person I was discussing this with said it was for something else. If he knows so much, he should respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Good question for July 4th. The Veteran EARNED his Preference points because both you and he/she knew that those points were there before hand. If the Announcement says you need certain education to qualify you can either take them and qualify or not. Likewise, if you know that by being a Veteran you will get either 5 or 10 points that becomes part of the qualifications, it is up to you whether you do something for your country. The 10 points he/she EARNED required he/she become partially disabled.
You're not really asserting that the only way to do soething for your country is to be a veteran, are you?
That's laughable.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
The GI Bill is not free, veterans pay into that program.
The VA does not give home loans, they merely act as a co-signer for the vet. The biggest advantage for me getting a VA loan was no PMI, similar to putting 20% down.
Not that big of a deal unless you're uninformed.
And this is significant.
I bought my first house with my GI bill.

Here's an idea... no more double dipping.
If a retired vet gets a federal job, their retirement pay is suspended through their period of federal employment.

________

Don't a lot of people, especially on CD, whine about incompetent federal employees? Then they are the same ones who support dumbing down to the least common denominator and away from the best and brightest.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
[quote=chielgirl;19898220]Because the person I was discussing this with said it was for something else. If he knows so much, he should respond.

You posted the question,

What are we fighting in the middle east for?
OIL? Resources? What does our eternal war have to do with the US?

If you want an answer, ask those that voted for it. Don't make partisan assumptions.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
This morning on the news they mentioned a special job fair for vets only.
I believe for many public service jobs you get points added on to your test score for military service.
I think there was a time when we had the draft and young people did not have a choice but to be drafted into the military it was fair.
But does that still hold true in today’s world where we have an all voluntary army.
not going to take time to read all the responses, but yes, they should. No, they shouldn't be given a job without others being considered so a "vet only" job fair might not be the answer, but if it comes down to two individauls, Vets come first.

NIta

Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not going to take time to read all the responses, but yes, they should. No, they shouldn't be given a job without others being considered so a "vet only" job fair might not be the answer, but if it comes down to two individauls, Vets come first.

NIta
Agreed.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
No way we can let these greedy business owners decide who is qualified and who isn't.

The regular folk can fight for the scraps after those who have served the king are fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies