Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM

46,310 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownster View Post
Wanna back that up with a link? And deployed....where, exactly? 99% ended up in Afghanistan or Iraq?
I will regress a little say I'm talking about the Army....

But,
I just retired, and a little common knowledge, so I do know a little more than what you think...

Hell, even units from South Korea have deployed....this is the reason they made CABs in the Army...

It's very rare to not see a combat patch, these days...and those that don't are either in A.I.T. or lucked out in their first assignment and got a TDA assignment...

So, are YOU going to provide me a link that can prove me wrong...I have friends right now that are on thier 5th and 6th deployment......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Many are misguided into thinking that they are putting their life on the line for our country by fighting in a war halfway around the world against a people that can't even read and write that have no idea what 9/11 is or what happened, all they know is that their country has been invaded by a military that has led to many deaths.
I don't think we have to worry about any of these people forming an army and invading our country.
If people want to buy into what the Military Industrial Complex and the people in Washington that do their bidding is not our fault.
These kids get brainwashed by the military the moment they meet a military recruiter; see link below.

http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/...onLitFinal.pdf
I'm not supporting the war. I'm supporting men and women who are offering themselves to defend our country if necessary, who are put in danger for causes both just and unjust. I was vehemently against the Viet Nam war, but watching the struggles of some of its veterans over the years has really shown me how the government is willing to use its young people for its needs and then turn its back on them when they have problems caused by their service. Being ahead of the game in getting a custodial job at the Post Office is more than justified.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I was in the military and I think that the experience is desirable for prospective employers. However, I think that employers should hire based on who would best fit the job - bias for military members should be based on the employer's judgement, not on public policy.
Well said. I too am a vet. I am grateful too those who serve today. In my experience vets tend to be easier to train and more reliable. This said I do not believe that they should receive preferential points for hiring. Their service should be used as a tie breaker.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I think vets get too much preferencial treatment when it comes to government hiring. I spent 2 years trying to get an entry level federal job, and some job listings I was competing against 10,000 other applicants. Some of those jobs had minimum scores of over 100, meaning it's absolutely impossible for a civilian to get them (only military vets can score over 100). Most of the other scores were 96-100, which meant vets were still the most likely to get them.

People with Ph.Ds and 10-20 years of experience are getting turned down for vets who don't meet nearly the same qualifications.

I've basically given up trying to get in the federal government, because unless you have 1) connections 2) lots and lots of experience and/or 3) are a military vet, it's too hard to get a federal job.
I am sure you would have been "hired" if you had went to an Army or Marine corp recruiter............after all they need a "Few good men"
Then you also would be entitled to the veterans preference. Just consider it part of your "Education"

Old 06-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,832 times
Yes.
And a combat vet trumps a peace time vet.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
They already get these points by virtue of having that service on their resume. Nothing stops them from impressing interviewers with an incredible account of their harrowing experiences when the employer asks "how have you dealt with pressure situations." That serves as its own merit in comparison with someone who merely handled a tough lunch-rush while a server at Applebee's.

I don't like the idea of automatic "points" altering the hiring methods. The experience already does that in terms of a wow-factor for the hiring personnel.
I guess you forgot about all those Ex-hippy,military hating,people who did NOT join the military and had their pick of those power jobs while the others were serving their time in hellholes.
when these sailors and soldiers finally return to find a job.... these same people doing the hiring are more than likely to NOT hire them simply because they are Ex-military.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
WestCobb has a bone to pick with you. I just made this point, and got shot down.

No one's saying they're not veterans. We're merely arguing with the assumption that they're in mortal danger all the time like Army vets coming out of Restrepo. Again, I submit that cops and teachers in rough neighborhoods probably have higher injury/mortality rates than the armed forces as a whole.

Those cops and teachers are also accumulating senority,and much higher wages while the military people are not

Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Not that I'd paint all, or even most military veterans with this brush, but every single kid I went to high school with who ended up in the military did so because of (a) total lack of other options and/or (b) he was encouraged to do so by exasperated parents and teachers who couldn't handle the scumbag kid anymore.

Probably shouldn't have even brought that up, considering how veterans respond when you say this, but it's true in my experience.

It was even more true with the draft in the 60s, when college deferments didn't work for working-class kids who weren't college-ready. You ended up with insanely high drug-use levels in the military, and a low-morale force.
You are so uninformed it is ridiculous..........

Old 06-23-2011, 03:22 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,552,222 times
Yes, yes they should. If not, then increase their pay for when they fight for the military.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That makes no sense. Why would an employer give a good employee their job back only to fire them after fulfilling the minimum requirements under the law? Businesses want to keep good employees, they do not look for the first opportunity to be rid of them.

You live under a rock?
Those employers hate having an employee leave for extended periods of time. they have to replace them.Then they have to allow the military person to return to their old job.Simpler for them to just lay off or fire all the military people they have working for them. Its all about production you see..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies