Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
This morning on the news they mentioned a special job fair for vets only.
I believe for many public service jobs you get points added on to your test score for military service.
I think there was a time when we had the draft and young people did not have a choice but to be drafted into the military it was fair.
But does that still hold true in today’s world where we have an all voluntary army.
I'm surprised vets have a hard time getting hired. When I was at B-school recruiters made it known that they had a preference for veterans. All of the vets at my school had multiple job offers at graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownster View Post
The ironic part? So many of those who hold themselves out to be troop-supporting patriots are of the exact same political stripe as those who think "right to work" states are deities themselves, far superior than any state that allows such job protections.
I agree, Clown. Some have become so preconditioned by an ideology that they will support the right of capital above all else. I fully expect to be hearing arguments for slavery within the next few decades ... of the "voluntary" sort of course, some system where poor slobs are conned into thinking that signing a contract of indentured servitude is a good idea.

You're wrong about the service though. A decade is a long time. You'd be hard pressed to find a Soldier or Marine who served over the past 10 years who hasn't been in harm's way. Sailors and Airmen have been doing their part too. I don't think a few extra points on a federal hiring application is a lot to grant.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
They put their lives on the line for our country, but they don't deserve a special job fair? Or a few points on a test score?
Many are misguided into thinking that they are putting their life on the line for our country by fighting in a war halfway around the world against a people that can't even read and write that have no idea what 9/11 is or what happened, all they know is that their country has been invaded by a military that has led to many deaths.
I don't think we have to worry about any of these people forming an army and invading our country.
If people want to buy into what the Military Industrial Complex and the people in Washington that do their bidding is not our fault.
These kids get brainwashed by the military the moment they meet a military recruiter; see link below.

http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/...onLitFinal.pdf

Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 PM

43 posts, read 25,501 times
If we really want to help vets, we should help them help themselves, by offering more expansive support programs to combat PTSD, depression and all other potential consequences of being deployed to combat zones. That should be the focus, not some mandate that vets be held in higher esteem insofar as private-sector employment is concerned. Obviously, a veteran's war experience will have natural benefits on a resume, and thus they already receive "preferential" treatment in that manner. But they should not be given some artificial, "technical" legal boost above and beyond that of someone who served in the Peace Corps, or Teach for America or devoted a lot of hours to Legal Aid or something. Believe it or not, firing guns at people is not the be-all end-all test for patriotism.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I think what he's saying is that it isn't that these people are "problem employees", they have just been effectively replaced during their absence. So, they bring them back on-board just long enough to satisfy the law and then lay them off, since they already have someone doing that job.

It happens to good workers. I promise.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've seen it happen plenty over the last decade.

1,167 posts, read 2,171,127 times
I think they should be given the tools to make them competitive. Which they are.

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Also remember that not all servicemembers get a veteran's preference. My husband served for 8 years active duty, and finished the remaining time in the National Guard. Never saw combat, didn't serve during any combat period, so he gets no veteran's preference.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:58 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,127 times
You're still considered a veteran even if you don't see combat.

Hell, the overwhelming majority of the Air Force and Navy don't even know what a gun looks like but they are veterans.

43 posts, read 25,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree, Clown. Some have become so preconditioned by an ideology that they will support the right of capital above all else. I fully expect to be hearing arguments for slavery within the next few decades ... of the "voluntary" sort of course, some system where poor slobs are conned into thinking that signing a contract of indentured servitude is a good idea.

You're wrong about the service though. A decade is a long time. You'd be hard pressed to find a Soldier or Marine who served over the past 10 years who hasn't been in harm's way. Sailors and Airmen have been doing their part too. I don't think a few extra points on a federal hiring application is a lot to grant.
They already get these points by virtue of having that service on their resume. Nothing stops them from impressing interviewers with an incredible account of their harrowing experiences when the employer asks "how have you dealt with pressure situations." That serves as its own merit in comparison with someone who merely handled a tough lunch-rush while a server at Applebee's.

I don't like the idea of automatic "points" altering the hiring methods. The experience already does that in terms of a wow-factor for the hiring personnel.

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
If they learned anything while in the service I would think they already have a leg up on someone with little experience. I guess I can see if, all things being totally equal, someone might give the nod to a vet, but no way in hell do I want to see any kind of laws dictating such a thing. We don't more of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies