Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Geeoro, one thing to think about is the issue with the States. Keep in mind the US contains 50 sovereign States. This would make the revamping of the US healthcare delivery system a bit more tricky than most other nations I believe. One can conclude that it should be left to the 50 states to come up with their plan to overhaul HC. However, if that happens, and has to a very small degree, the function of the federal government then comes into play in which a lot of animosity derives from. Many Americans do not trust the fed to do the correct thing. I think many people forget about the State they live in and focus too much on the fed instead. At one time in America citizens were more devoted to their state and had little regard for the fed. This was especially true during and before the American Civil War. This sounds a little off topic but in away it's not. Another words the US really is separate, not united as one would think pertaining to borders and politics. This is a good thing but does have big drawbacks and this topic is one example.
Now I am greatly interested to see his solution to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Now I am greatly interested to see his solution to this.
Then read my post!!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I agree to a point jm but other huge Countries with differing states now have succesful UHC's even though they put up all the same arguments as some in the USA. Australia fought tooth and nail to stop a NHS but now have a really good system.
Maybe the way forward is to have a Govt funded UHC System that will bring consistancy and safeguards to the American Health System but each state has medical professionals running their system in tune to State needs. You would be able to use the system no matter where you move to in the USA. In the UK the system is divided up into local health authorities who taper their systems to the needs of their community..eg..one area may have many older citizens while another may have many younger families.
America should look at the best choices and the worst and use the best and disgard the worst to give America a economical, good for all health system.
Let's make the AMERICAN HEALTH SYSTEM the BEST in the world and not one that is now sliding fast down the World Health Organisations rankings.
Good health means good production and it means a healthier America both in health and economy.
That isn't a solution, you still have the feds as being the authority over the states. The states are sovereign, as well as the individuals there in. They are all protected and free to operate as they see fit.

So, how do you purpose a system as such without mandating it on the states and the individuals there in? What about the states that do not wish to implement such? For instance, TX is already gearing up to invalidate the federal mandates with Obamacare. How do you deal with states who disagree on many aspects of a federal plan? What if they refuse? See the problem?

Your system requires mandates to work. It requires the authority of the state and the authority of the individual to be disregarded. How on earth does that fit into our system without defying the very aspect of our system?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
I believe the answer is in complete reform of the American health system by using the BEST ideas from all over the World.
Cannot understand why some are clinging on for dear life to a health system in the USA that is mega expensive, fails MILLIONS of Americans and is responsible for thousands of deaths every year in the USA, was and possibly still is, the number one reason for personal bankruptcy and home loss and is partly reponsible for America's economic problems.
Maybe the push against a decent health system here is based on Fear of the unknoown or Corruption at the top or even greed and "Elitism" but todays health system is definately "Bad Medicine" for Millions here.
You are correct it is bad medicine. Very bad but most Americans are either young, healthy, got coverage they pay little for. But many find out how bad it really is when they become seriously ill. Then things change for the worse many times. People fall into huge cracks such as lose job=lose insurance=I'm still sick=I'm now broke=bankruptcy=I'm still sick.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
No thanks.

The best solution is to remove government involvement and allow freedom and competition determine the cost and quality to which the individual makes educated decisions on.

The rest of the "world" can take their ideas and shove them straight up their arse.
Obviously your idea is not the best solution as the American health system is NOT WORKING and costing so much that it now affects the Economy.
Maybe insted of sticking your fingers up to the rest of the World you should see what is the best for the USA and not think that, no matter how bad a system is, if it is a American plan it must be Amazing..... very sad uninformed thinking in 2011.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I agree to a point jm but other huge Countries with differing states now have succesful UHC's even though they put up all the same arguments as some in the USA. Australia fought tooth and nail to stop a NHS but now have a really good system.
Maybe the way forward is to have a Govt funded UHC System that will bring consistancy and safeguards to the American Health System but each state has medical professionals running their system in tune to State needs. You would be able to use the system no matter where you move to in the USA. In the UK the system is divided up into local health authorities who taper their systems to the needs of their community..eg..one area may have many older citizens while another may have many younger families.
America should look at the best choices and the worst and use the best and disgard the worst to give America a economical, good for all health system.
Let's make the AMERICAN HEALTH SYSTEM the BEST in the world and not one that is now sliding fast down the World Health Organisations rankings.
Good health means good production and it means a healthier America both in health and economy plus the millions of jobs created by building a UHC could virtually wipe out unemployment here.
I agree.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Obviously your idea is not the best solution as the American health system is NOT WORKING and costing so much that it now affects the Economy.
Maybe insted of sticking your fingers up to the rest of the World you should see what is the best for the USA and not think that, no matter how bad a system is, if it is a American plan it must be Amazing..... very sad uninformed thinking in 2011.
Americas plan works fine, the problem is, over many years it has been opting for the "worlds" plans causing the American plan to appear as if it is failing. You don't take a free society, then place a bunch of controls on it stripping it of its freedom and then claim the free system doesn't work. It is absurd. What is failing is the governments intrusion, plain and simple and anyone paying attention to the facts of the issues sees this.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
That isn't a solution, you still have the feds as being the authority over the states. The states are sovereign, as well as the individuals there in. They are all protected and free to operate as they see fit.

So, how do you purpose a system as such without mandating it on the states and the individuals there in? What about the states that do not wish to implement such? For instance, TX is already gearing up to invalidate the federal mandates with Obamacare. How do you deal with states who disagree on many aspects of a federal plan? What if they refuse? See the problem?

Your system requires mandates to work. It requires the authority of the state and the authority of the individual to be disregarded. How on earth does that fit into our system without defying the very aspect of our system?
This is also true. And it is this stated by Normander that confuses many on this issue. I think it does stifle healthcare reform which needs reforming in a very bad way.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
You are correct it is bad medicine. Very bad but most Americans are either young, healthy, got coverage they pay little for. But many find out how bad it really is when they become seriously ill. Then things change for the worse many times. People fall into huge cracks such as lose job=lose insurance=I'm still sick=I'm now broke=bankruptcy=I'm still sick.
Absolutely jm.
I was speaking to the Owner of my pool supplies shop yesterday who is a staunch Republican and used to think everything was ok with the present "get what you can afford" health system here.
His young daughter who is over 21 and has no health insurance was in a bad accident and had to stay in hospital for quite some time. He said he couldn't believe how much it cost him to save his daughters life. He is now so mad about the current health system. He also said it costs him over $25,000 a year to get average cover for himself and his wife. This is just one of many growing stories like this. I love hearing advocates of the current system do a complete U-turn when reality hits them or they lose their jobs and health cover or are refused treatment.
This fiasco must end for the good of ALL Americans.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Such is the nature of responsibility. It is the same with housing, the same with savings for retirement, the same for anything. Two ways to solve it.

"Promote" healthy plans and processes and let people suffer the consequences of not preparing each individually.

Take away their freedom of responsibility and dictate to them what is best for the sake of them.

I will take the risk of " lose job=lose insurance=I'm still sick=I'm now broke=bankruptcy=I'm still sick" over the loss of freedom, every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies