Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A more updated version of the story has it that the elderly Korean guy told him to be quiet while he was talking to a Korean girl, maybe his girlfriend. I know they do not take too kindly to interracial relationships over there in general and can get especially enraged when it's a black guy/Korean girl. I recall during a Super Bowl Hines Ward relaying the experience of his Korean mother which was pretty bad. He ended up starting a charity for ostracized Black/Korean kids in Korea.

Maybe that came into play as well. Still he should have conducted himself in an upright fashion and kept it moving. Every perceived insult is not an excuse to fly off the deep end.
I can totally understand why that angered the Black guy. I agree that there are better ways he could have conducted himself in that situation.

With that said, it gets old that Black people have to keep watching what they do for fear that it reflects on their whole race. White people don't have to go around worrying about if what they do or say will reflect on their whole race, so why should Black people?

It shouldn't be all on Black people to "act upright." It should also be on racist people to change their primitive, misguided thinking.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Ending a sentence with a preposition is considered bad grammar as well, but Winston Churchill said that was nonsense. It is not perfect grammar, but it is grammatically sound and any rule-based computational syntactic and semantic parser would work on the sentence. Unfortunately, replacing you're with your will not satisfy the same parser.
Well, if Winston Churchill said so, it must be true. Having said that, ending with a preposition is indeed grammatically correct, in some languages. I'm as guilty of presenting statements as questions, but prefer to stick with content of the arguments (if they can be deciphered without much trouble) than go rambling about grammatical mistakes. You may want to find a proper forum to engage that attitude of yours.

"Imperfect grammar", my foot.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not defending this guy's behavior at all. To provide context though, I have been told by many friends who have been stationed in Korea that Koreans are racists ... not toward black people in particular, but toward all non Koreans, including whites. I have been warned if I go there that the daily racism is taxing and burdensome. This guy misinterpreted what was said to him, but he undoubtedly deals with openly racist attitudes and behaviors routinely. (For example, I have been told its very common for restaurants to refuse service to whites.. and I would presume blacks too.) He may have just snapped.

And again, THAT DOES NOT EXCUSE ATTACKING OLD PEOPLE. This guy should be embarrassed and ashamed for himself. If I could, I would force him to watch himself acting like that in a room of people telling him how cowardly and foolish he looks "bucking up" on an old man and defenseless old lady until I was sure he got it ... or at least got that absolutely no one was impressed with his behavior.
^^^^You nailed it.

The guy deserves what he gets but it's rather ironic on a certain level.

I know A LOT of koreans through college etc and they are as racist as the Japanese....which says a lot. I know an asian guy that goes to a mostly Korean church here in the US who lies about his ethnicity so he is treated better.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^^You nailed it.

The guy deserves what he gets but it's rather ironic on a certain level.

I know A LOT of koreans through college etc and they are as racist as the Japanese....which says a lot. I know an asian guy that goes to a mostly Korean church here in the US who lies about his ethnicity so he is treated better.
From being in Asia and living in a predominantly Asian neighborhood now, I can say that there are a lot of Asians who are racist, period. LOTS of them.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, if Winston Churchill said so, it must be true. Having said that, ending with a preposition is indeed grammatically correct, in some languages. I'm as guilty of presenting statements as questions, but prefer to stick with content of the arguments (if they can be deciphered without much trouble) than go rambling about grammatical mistakes. You may want to find a proper forum to engage that attitude of yours.

"Imperfect grammar", my foot.
Grammar is all about degree. I pointed out a triple of errors, each with a high degree of severity. Obviously, the real-word spelling error was intended as opposed to being a typographical error. It does kind of reflect poorly on EC though.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Are people seriously still going on about grammar?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Are people seriously still going on about grammar?
Yes.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
And why exactly did you post that? Would you also have posted it if it had been a Japanese-American guy?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Grammar is all about degree. I pointed out a triple of errors, each with a high degree of severity. Obviously, the real-word spelling error was intended as opposed to being a typographical error. It does kind of reflect poorly on EC though.
Grammar is not subjective. Otherwise there would be no need for grammatical rules. Don't try to be a grammar Nazi unless you can handle the favour being returned to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
From being in Asia and living in a predominantly Asian neighborhood now, I can say that there are a lot of Asians who are racist, period. LOTS of them.
So?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Why, when a white man gets in a fight, is the discussion is about that white man...

...but when a black man gets in a fight, does the discussion become about all black people?
good point.

only blacks have to be perfect citizens. if one messes up, all 40 million are at fault according to people like edward A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies