Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 08:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Where is the sentence flawed? It has a subject, verb and direct object and clearly conveys the intended message. Just because it doesn't start with an auxiliary verb doesn't mean it's not grammatically correct.
The following is an example of bad grammar. Consult your English teacher to spot them if you still don't see anything wrong but want to try and be a grammar Nazi.

"You sure I'm the tea party supporter?"

Old 08-31-2011, 08:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The stats, violent flash mobs and the daily viral video clips tell a different story. Keep dismissing the problem and assigning blame to white racists. Folks off all stripes can see for themselves what is going on and it ain't pretty.

The number one rated comment on the Youtube video of this story when I originally posted was by an African saying Black Americans are an embarrassment. Before you accuse me of posting the comment it was not me.
Africans have done enough over the years to embarrass themselves. If we - who descend from you - are an embarrassment, you have only yourselves to blame. If your house had been in order, maybe most of your - our - intellectual capital and resources wouldn't have been taken from the continent. Now the Diaspora on both sides of the Atlantic is screwed up, and attitudes such as yours do nothing to help.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A very great shame that as an "ambassador without portfolio" of both western society and the black race; those people on that subway will carry the impression, mistaken though it may be, that ALL American blacks are bullies.

They will probably come to the conclusion that he is a U.S. citizen from his accent and use of slang "yo *****" type of statements and of course the connection could very well be erroneous but the damage is done.

Could he have been the brunt of derogatory remarks that bothered him previously? Sure; but his reaction was not aimed at a suitable receptor given his large size and threatening demeanor. He chose instead, an elderly, all but defenseless couple to "go postal" on.

A great shame that anger ruled his thinking at that precise moment. It happens all too often in this hurly-burly world
A more updated version of the story has it that the elderly Korean guy told him to be quiet while he was talking to a Korean girl, maybe his girlfriend. I know they do not take too kindly to interracial relationships over there in general and can get especially enraged when it's a black guy/Korean girl. I recall during a Super Bowl Hines Ward relaying the experience of his Korean mother which was pretty bad. He ended up starting a charity for ostracized Black/Korean kids in Korea.

Maybe that came into play as well. Still he should have conducted himself in an upright fashion and kept it moving. Every perceived insult is not an excuse to fly off the deep end.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Why, when a white man gets in a fight, is the discussion is about that white man...

...but when a black man gets in a fight, does the discussion become about all black people?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I see you're still trying to parade yourself in front of white people, saying, "see? I'm not like those Black people! Please treat me like I'm different! I'll do anything!"

And it still doesn't work. Keep on trying though.
Wait here he is right. I don't want to be viewed by other race groups as one of the people that live and act with that foolish gansta rap thugged inner city attitude. Who would? I grew up listening to NWA and the like but I now see that the kind of life style they glorify is cancerous. We as a community do not need lil wayne telling our boys the bulls&** that he and many others spout. We have a lot of house cleaning to do especially in heavily street thought infested inner cities.

Having said that I will not let racist, closet racist,tea party racist and the rest use these people to justify their feelings about my people.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Lucario and EdwardA, you guys don't need to be taking pot shots at each other. It doesn't help the situation at all. Summers73, you are the one that brought grammar in the the conversation. In internet 101, that translates to deflection or not having a decent rebuttal.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The following is an example of bad grammar. Consult your English teacher to spot them if you still don't see anything wrong but want to try and be a grammar Nazi.

"You sure I'm the tea party supporter?"
Ending a sentence with a preposition is considered bad grammar as well, but Winston Churchill said that was nonsense. It is not perfect grammar, but it is grammatically sound and any rule-based computational syntactic and semantic parser would work on the sentence. Unfortunately, replacing you're with your will not satisfy the same parser.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Africans have done enough over the years to embarrass themselves. If we - who descend from you - are an embarrassment, you have only yourselves to blame. If your house had been in order, maybe most of your - our - intellectual capital and resources wouldn't have been taken from the continent. Now the Diaspora on both sides of the Atlantic is screwed up, and attitudes such as yours do nothing to help.
Guilty as charged, I guess. I descend from a tribe that rose to prominence through the slave trade. It was our greatest source of foreign exchange and allowed us to buy guns to stave off British encroachment for nearly 100 years. Not sure we lost anything in terms of intellectual capital though since the slaves that were sold tended to be from defeated tribes, deadbeats and other undesirables think Murial boat lift to get a general idea of the slaves that were sold.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Wait here he is right. I don't want to be viewed by other race groups as one of the people that live and act with that foolish gansta rap thugged inner city attitude. Who would?
If you don't want to be viewed in that way, don't act like that. If white (and black) racists still view you in that way, there's not a damn thing you can do about it except for call them out.

Quote:
I grew up listening to NWA and the like but I now see that the kind of life style they glorify is cancerous. We as a community do not need lil wayne telling our boys the bulls&** that he and many others spout. We have a lot of house cleaning to do especially in heavily street thought infested inner cities.
No doubt about that, but shrill, pointless rants by colonized-minded Africans do nothing to help clean our house.

Quote:
Having said that I will not let racist, closet racist,tea party racist and the rest use these people to justify their feelings about my people.
That's right.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Lucario and EdwardA, you guys don't need to be taking pot shots at each other. It doesn't help the situation at all. Summers73, you are the one that brought grammar in the the conversation. In internet 101, that translates to deflection or not having a decent rebuttal.
You're right. I just anger easily.

Dirty laundry and all, fraternal dispute, etc.

I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies