Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't know, the do represent some evidence that Evolution isn't really happening. Or, at least skipping some genetic chains.
I've often said that. When I think about it, they just might be evolving differently than most. Maybe there will be a movie..."Planet Of The Teanuts"

Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Fascism In America: Are We There Yet?

Norris-LeBlanc

*Protofascism Comes to America:** : ICH - Information Clearing House

Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The only way we can get people back to work is to get Obama out of office, cut the spending, cut corporate taxes, and repeal Obamacare and all the stifling regulations that go along with it.
Hilarious! This post is Exhibit A of the Tea Party mindset!

Yea, get rid of Obama and regulations, and government services and jobs, unions, and environmental and safety regulations, and those jobs, middle class wages, and benefits are going to come roaring back!!!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
PITTSTON2SARASOTA,

I don’t think of myself as Tea Party. But; I do understand sound economic principles. You don’t reward people for bad behavior or careless living. You do reward those that do it right.

I also believe that our educational system needs major reform. I don’t think that you throw good money at a bad system. Education loves to talk about our technology. When are we going to have free, nationally accredited, online courses available to anybody at any time? Our traditional educational system could supplement the online system - they could verify the online scores, provide remedial work for those that need it and provide for social interaction and physical development. The net effect would be downsizing the system that we have worked so hard to build. We are not competing with the world leaders on our current course. We are long overdue for change - isn’t that what our President said?
Sounds like I am reading the nuanced, interesting, reflective views of a moderate. Keep your head down man! Everyone hates those guys!!!! Edit this post to somehow compare Obama to Lenin before its too late!!!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
You voted for bush.
enemy country,

I always vote for the candidate that looses! I vote against incumbents - I don’t care what party they are from. Or; I vote for people that I do believe will make a change - they never fail to let me down!

I don’t believe in sides. I think that our politicians should either be for us - or; they are against us and we should not vote for them. I try to keep it very simple - no fancy terms like liberal or conservative (even though you would find my views leaning conservative).

It just gets me going that so many are running around saying the sky is falling because some old guy ran over your toe with his Hovearound!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sounds like I am reading the nuanced, interesting, reflective views of a moderate. Keep your head down man! Everyone hates those guys!!!! Edit this post to somehow compare Obama to Lenin before its too late!!!
Fiddlehead,

Thanks. I do think that we need change. I also believe that our nation can again be a world leader. I just think that we have to move on - no pun intended.

In the private blue collar sector technology has taken a toll on employment.

Robots and computers have driven down manufacturing cost and cut the workforce. That has not happened in healthcare, education and the law - why not? I think this is where we need a great leader to take us over this hump. There is no reason that cost and availability to the public cannot be cut using the tools of our technology.

I would like to dream of a country that has no lawyers, judges, teachers (with the exception of special needs), and machines that take a blood or saliva sample at the pharmacist then tell you the best medication or course of action.

Our current solutions are all based on throwing more money at failing systems.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I declared my independence from both parties years ago so I wouldn't get caught-up in all of the brainwashing and propoganda...I'm not a member of anyone's team or political party. I'm an American who wants to see more grown-ups in Washington for a change...I get tired of all of the games and snide remarks and partisanship.

I agree there are few adults on Capital Hill.....from any party.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,319,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I agree there are few adults on Capital Hill.....from any party.
Our 2-party political system keeps us on opposite sides of the fence...It keeps us split right down the middle and at each other's "throats."...Elections are like "sport's games" today with each side trying to be the "winning team." And the "winner" wants to "take all" and "rule all" and be in complete control...Each side wants to "force their will" on the other "half."...We can't go forward as a nation and solve our problems if we're stuck in silly and childish "tug of wars!"...Most parents tell their kids that they have to learn how to share and compromise and "get along" with their brothers and sisters and friends. This is all part of the socialization process when we are growing up. But yet so many adults feel entitled to behave and act like little kids today when it comes to politics and some of their other beliefs...The notion of "being in it together" and compromising is such a "no-no" and foreign concept today. Taking time to listen...Looking at "all sides" to each issue seems like a stupid thing to do. Nobody wants to risk "handing amunition" over to the other side. It's a "me, me, me" and "my way or the highway" or "my way or else" type of world today! And this is sad! And tragic and dangerous!...We've become "cannibals" bent on having and "winning" our own "way" at all costs! And this is what makes us "easy prey" for corrupt politicians who have a vested interest in keeping us "divided." We become "pawns" and "putty" in their "hands."

Old 09-11-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Our 2-party political system keeps us on opposite sides of the fence...It keeps us split right down the middle and at each other's "throats."...Elections are like "sport's games" today with each side trying to be the "winning team." And the "winner" wants to "take all" and "rule all" and be in complete control...Each side wants to "force their will" on the other "half."...We can't go forward as a nation and solve our problems if we're stuck in silly and childish "tug of wars!"...Most parents tell their kids that they have to learn how to share and compromise and "get along" with their brothers and sisters and friends. This is all part of the socialization process when we are growing up. But yet so many adults feel entitled to behave and act like little kids today when it comes to politics and some of their other beliefs...The notion of "being in it together" and compromising is such a "no-no" and foreign concept today. Taking time to listen...Looking at "all sides" to each issue seems like a stupid thing to do. Nobody wants to risk "handing amunition" over to the other side. It's a "me, me, me" and "my way or the highway" or "my way or else" type of world today! And this is sad! And tragic and dangerous!...We've become "cannibals" bent on having and "winning" our own "way" at all costs! And this is what makes us "easy prey" for corrupt politicians who have a vested interest in keeping us "divided." We become "pawns" and "putty" in their "hands."
I completely agree. I recall a thread a few weeks ago, when a poster asks if anyone changed their mind by anything they read here. The responses were pretty typical. No, no, and hell no. A sad state of affairs when the posters with the highest posting rates for threads,etc. are also the most likely to post misleading, Rush Limbaugh-style slams. I agree with the sports team analogy, and I think the mentality comes directly from partisan media (Fox, MSNBC, talk radio). It is a national disgrace.

I will say I do learn things sometimes, but usually from moderates who are looking at multiples sides of an issue. The hardcore partisans don't add much. They are too predictable.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,319,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I completely agree. I recall a thread a few weeks ago, when a poster asks if anyone changed their mind by anything they read here. The responses were pretty typical. No, no, and hell no. A sad state of affairs when the posters with the highest posting rates for threads,etc. are also the most likely to post misleading, Rush Limbaugh-style slams. I agree with the sports team analogy, and I think the mentality comes directly from partisan media (Fox, MSNBC, talk radio). It is a national disgrace.

I will say I do learn things sometimes, but usually from moderates who are looking at multiples sides of an issue. The hardcore partisans don't add much. They are too predictable.
Thanks for your post. I agree with all you wrote. And I try to stay away from extremists on both sides due to all of their hate and discontent and partisan "blame games."...None of it is healthy or mature. And it won't lead to solving our problems as a nation in level-headed ways....I know these are "bad times" for many Americans and the future doesn't "look bright" right now. But I don't want to get stuck in anger or hate and blame and let my emotions "rule all" and "cloud" my thinking and reasoning abilities...I don't want to be shuffled into an "angry lynch mob" that encourages me to go on a "hunting spree" for "targets" and scapegoats" to hate and blame! This isn't the "American way" as far as I'm concerned....Like you I have tried to look at "many sides" through the years and learned a lot. Everyone has their own side and point of view about each issue. And I think it's smart to consider all sides versus getting stuck in narrow-minded thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies