Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times

Advertisements

There were 2.7 million when Bush left office in 2009. All in all Obama has shrunk it substantially. Not that you will ever give him credit for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
As Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

That's true. Ron White stuck his pecker in a toaster. How many times are Democrats going to do that?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Absolutely, what do you think lobbying for federal tax dollars is all about? In good times, everyone gets to hog as much as they can. In tough times, as now, lobbyists are busy eating into each other's share regardless of the merits of the project. Why the heck do you think there are ads for TWO different engines for the F-35 JSF all over DC? Do you need two companies to manufacture an engine for one jet? Do you even need the jet? The money has to come from some pot.

A flat tax would demolish lobbyists. Something Obama wouldn't care to delve into. Even though he PROMISED to be transparent.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nope, but I've seen the atrocities in China and agree with you there.

The thing is though that I honestly dont believe you need them anymore, certainly not at the level you have now. I mean thats like saying we need a multi-billion dollar agency to make sure we put seat belts and air bags in cars. Sure some manufacturers might decide not to, but how long do you think they would stay in business?

our saftey standards are SO much better now than they were in the past, I dont think we need to be overloading business with these regulations that for the most part consumers have come to expect and demand.

Also, something I posted the other day:

Timeline: BPA from Invention to Phase-Out | Environmental Working Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
And why do you think they're so much better? Because of EPA regulations. Take those away, and how long will it take corporations to start cutting corners again?
They have shown no regard for the welfare of the average American citizen in any other areas, unless you happen to be an investor. Out-sourcing, cutting benefits, workers receiving no wage increases for years, for example.
I guess you didnt bother to read or comprehend my full post, just hand picked the part you want to make a stink over? I bolded it and put it in red...think about it.

Also I remember stories from back when people found out that toys we were buying from China were full of lead...funny thing is, the EPA wanted to step in with all these regulations, and there were small businesses making 100% natural toys (literally just wood and metal) that couldnt afford to meet the proposed EPA regulations so they were facing the prospect of going out of business.

So yes, a good deal of the EPA is frivolousness, once a certain bar is set, consumers will demand it remains there or higher. Companies are not going to suddenly start manufacturing asbestos blankets for infants and pacifiers made from lead just because you drastically reduce, or completely eliminate the EPA and shift some of the responsibility elsewhere. None of these agencies should be presumed to be in need perpetually.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Millions of people didn't have to be hired in the first place. It is an FDR mentality that Democrats have adopted. That government is ALWAYS the solution.

Sorry, the hiring of millions of people, who are not any longer useful, was a failure.

Phase them out and occupy Wall Street.
There is no point arguing with you since you don't get your facts straight and your connection between cause and effect is so distorted. You have decided who your enemy is and no amount of truth will be allowed to dissuade you. That's sad. And that's the problem, not the Democrats. It's your thinking that must be revised in order for there to be a solution...if indeed a solution is even your intention. Sounds like you want to point the huge finger of blame at an enemy of your choice and then stand on the "winning" side to claim victory even though nothing will have been accomplished in the process.

I believe government should be reduced in size and those reductions should be occur primarily in defense and any area where government supports corporations and banks. When that is accomplished, and with a strategy in place to make 80% of America "middle class", I believe in weaning people off welfare on both the state and federal levels.

We have a great opportunity to change things for the better. Going around pointing fingers like you do, Yooperkat, is counterproductive. May progress pave over your tired old way of thinking.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM

If Republicans snuff out all of Obamas Czars, 32 of them, the United States could save probably over 4 million dollars a year. Not a big step, but a step.

Considering that Barack Hussein borrows from China 2 million dollars per minute.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Basically I support the reduction in government expenses. However, I have a feeling that when services will not function well (i.e FEMA in New Orleans, or other) people will really be pissed off that they aren't getting anything for their tax money.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
There is no point arguing with you since you don't get your facts straight and your connection between cause and effect is so distorted. You have decided who your enemy is and no amount of truth will be allowed to dissuade you. That's sad. And that's the problem, not the Democrats. It's your thinking that must be revised in order for there to be a solution...if indeed a solution is even your intention. Sounds like you want to point the huge finger of blame at an enemy of your choice and then stand on the "winning" side to claim victory even though nothing will have been accomplished in the process.

I believe government should be reduced in size and those reductions should be occur primarily in defense and any area where government supports corporations and banks. When that is accomplished, and with a strategy in place to make 80% of America "middle class", I believe in weaning people off welfare on both the state and federal levels.

We have a great opportunity to change things for the better. Going around pointing fingers like you do, Yooperkat, is counterproductive. May progress pave over your tired old way of thinking.
The economy is like mother nature, the government cant hand pick some arbitrary state (ie. 80% middle class) and force it to happen without serious repercussions.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
It's your thinking that must be revised in order for there to be a solution....
It is?

Quote:
I believe government should be reduced in size and those reductions should be occur primarily in defense and any area where government supports corporations and banks.
Obama's goverment has it's hands in every part of business life, Barney Frank is Barack's idol, and taxpayers are on the hook for student loans that young people foolishly took out.

Quote:
When that is accomplished, and with a strategy in place to make 80% of America "middle class", I believe in weaning people off welfare on both the state and federal levels.
When will middle America achieve social utopia? When pigs fly. There is no incentive for a welfare recipient to go to work. They have cable TV and a liquor store nearby.

Quote:
May reductions in spending and forced drug tests for food stamp recipients pave the way to a more fiscal society. And a healthier one too. Some people need to be forced into surviving.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
If Republicans snuff out all of Obamas Czars, 32 of them, the United States could save probably over 4 million dollars a year. Not a big step, but a step.

Considering that Barack Hussein borrows from China 2 million dollars per minute.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Ok, and closing the Hedge Fund Manager tax loophole would raise $4 BILLION ANNUALLY from the 25 Richest managers ALONE.

Closing The Hedge Fund Manager Tax Loophole Would Raise $4 Billion Annually From The 25 Richest Managers | ThinkProgress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies