Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:15 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I once worked a job that required working Christmas and most major holidays. At the time my children were young so we could easily tell them that Christmas was "the next day" when I would be home. You do what you gotta do. The SS are a very proud and productive group and they are happy to work alongside the President even if it means their families may suffer at times. This is what they live for and their families usually totally understand the requirements. As for the President, he deserves some respect even though you may not agree with his policies. He's still the President. Just my thoughts.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to pay the bills. A lot here could learn from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It's difficult to meet your "dealer" from Camp David. Barry needs his "snow" for the holidays.
Really? As a D.C. guy that's just lazy writing on your part. Overlook the obvious joke and go for something novel...

Old 12-19-2011, 03:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

I knew I read it somewhere.

Oh Reagan too.

No Churchgoing Christmas for the First Family - TIME

In the President's Secret Service ... - Ronald Kessler - Google Books

I suggest you find another thread to post in if you don't like this one.
Here is the question you were asked in reference to Bush II:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Did he make a special mention of this FACT?

His ONLY reason for vacationing at CD during Christmas was so his SS could be with their families?

Can you cite any proof of that?
..a news article
..a soundbite

Anything?
Here is what the Time article says:

The Bush family spent eight straight Christmases at Camp David, in large part because of the retreat's privacy, and were regular attenders of the chapel's candlelight service on Christmas Eve.

Read more: No Churchgoing Christmas for the First Family - TIME

There is nothing there about going to Camp David out of concern for the Secret Service, not in the Time article nor in the other quote I found. The Time article says that was reportedly Reagan's rationale (their words).

Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Posters asked for AND received contemporaneous comments about Bush and Reagans Xmas habits.

See, they wanted to deflect obama's habit of INCONSIDERATION to PROOF of the other republicans presidents CONSIDERATION. There you have it.

It was a well known habit.
You have still utterly failed to provide any proof of this.
Apples to kumquats.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

The Bush family spent eight straight Christmases at Camp David, in large part because of the retreat's privacy, and were regular attenders of the chapel's candlelight service on Christmas Eve.

There is nothing there about going to Camp David out of concern for the Secret Service, not in the Time article nor in the other quote I found. The Time article says that was reportedly Reagan's rationale (their words).
Wonder if Sanrene has a Little Orphan Annie secret decoder ring that she uses to deduce the secret meaning in news articles?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I once worked a job that required working Christmas and most major holidays. At the time my children were young so we could easily tell them that Christmas was "the next day" when I would be home. You do what you gotta do. The SS are a very proud and productive group and they are happy to work alongside the President even if it means their families may suffer at times. This is what they live for and their families usually totally understand the requirements. As for the President, he deserves some respect even though you may not agree with his policies. He's still the President. Just my thoughts.
I have had several nursing jobs that required working Christmas and other holidays, every other or two of every three weekends, odd shifts, and so on. The fact of the matter is that if you worked Christmas one year, you didn't the next and so forth. So the poor souls who "had" to go to Hawaii last year are likely exempt from doing the same this year. This is also something you knew coming into the job. I can't imagine the SS is much different.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Quote:
I have had several nursing jobs that required working Christmas and other holidays, every other or two of every three weekends, odd shifts, and so on. The fact of the matter is that if you worked Christmas one year, you didn't the next and so forth. So the poor souls who "had" to go to Hawaii last year are likely exempt from doing the same this year. This is also something you knew coming into the job. I can't imagine the SS is much different.
But....but....but....it's still inconsiderate of Obama, even to make them miss every OTHER Christmas, dammit!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"Hi, I'm Mr. Secret Service Man, and I am outraged that I must take a trip with Pres. Obama to horrible Hawaii on the government dime in December. I cannot contain how disappointed I am for not being stuck outside the Camp David presidential compound in 30 degree weather. I mean, it must be 80 degrees in Hawaii. At Camp David they have hot chocolate to keep us warm. In Hawaii, they only have girls in string bikinis, that don't look warm at all. I don't know how I will survive."

These false outrage threads are good because it means the wingnuts don't have anything substantive to complain about.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:

Ah...but you MISSED this, didn't you?

Quote:
Bush was so considerate of the agents that protected him that he would stay in town on Christmas Eve so agents could spend it with their families. Then he would fly to Texas the day after Christmas.
And this;

Quote:
The Clintons traditionally went to midnight mass at the Washington National Cathedral and woke up in the White House on Christmas morning before heading south for vacation. President Reagan also remained in Washington over Christmas — reportedly so members of the Secret Service could be near their families — although Reagan didn't venture out to a local church service.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...#ixzz1h1WNZVLV

On purpose I suppose because that is exactly what it says - he stayed in town on Xmas eve and day out of consideration for the SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You have still utterly failed to provide any proof of this.
Apples to kumquats.
At LEAST two articles/books saying Reagan/Bush stayed in town out of consideration for their employees - I just KNEW it wouldn't be enough.

Proof of obama's inconsiderate behavior is the FACT for 3 Xmases running, he drags staff, SS and other security thousands of miles away from their families. Your problem if you can't see it.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Ah...but you MISSED this, didn't you?

On purpose I suppose because that is exactly what it says - he stayed in town on Xmas eve and day out of consideration for the SS.

At LEAST two articles/books saying Reagan/Bush stayed in town out of consideration for their employees - I just KNEW it wouldn't be enough.

Proof of obama's inconsiderate behavior is the FACT for 3 Xmases running, he drags staff, SS and other security thousands of miles away from their families. Your problem if you can't see it.
Can I have a secret decoder ring like yours?
Then I can read things into articles that just arent there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies