Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Secret Service detail assigned to the president on Dec. 25 has to report for duty on Christmas Day no matter where the president is. It is possible that some of those SS agents on duty at Camp David really wanted to go "home" to Chicago, or Omaha, or wherever, but had to go to CD instead!
Also, what she says is one page is actually most of a chapter.
One can only suppose that copying and pasting a sentence out of that chapter is too much like work.
Although, quoting a memoir as irrefutable truth is rather amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
If this was a Republican president wanting to go to Hawaii, you wouldnt be saying a word.
I assume you found the passage.

Quote:
The Secret Service detail assigned to the president on Dec. 25 has to report for duty on Christmas Day no matter where the president is. It is possible that some of those SS agents on duty at Camp David really wanted to go "home" to Chicago, or Omaha, or wherever, but had to go to CD instead!
I would assume those that work WH detail live in the AREA or close to it, wouldn't you? Working shifts is much easier an hour away than say, 5000 miles. See, I KNEW you'd be coming up with another deflection.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I suppose if sticking your head in the sand isn't considered dodging, I would suppose that you are right. But I don't like to suppose.

Haven't done either of those things.

Rene,

SANrene.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in the service of the nation who work on Christmas. There are millions of non Federal employees who do as well. The question that you insist on dodging is your assumption that every member of the president's detail works every Christmas as oppose to some working on Christmas, others drawing the detail on 2010 and still others in 2011! You also assume that every Secret Service Agent assigned to the President is a Christian, perhaps there are a few Jews, Muslims, and Buddhist who could give a rat's ass about Christmas.

Just a thought.
That thought is not the point. See, the point is NOT that millions of people have to work on Christmas Eve/day, that our military really never take a break, the point is OBAMA not considering those who work for and protect him, OBAMA, taking these people away from their families. I would have thought the point was obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Also, what she says is one page is actually most of a chapter.
One can only suppose that copying and pasting a sentence out of that chapter is too much like work.
Although, quoting a memoir as irrefutable truth is rather amusing.
Gee, I only did it TWICE for you. I assume you've found a way to get to the bottom of the page so you can read the relevant text. Oh, just so you know, can't copy/paste out of the book.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I assume you found the passage.

I would assume those that work WH detail live in the AREA or close to it, wouldn't you? Working shifts is much easier an hour away than say, 5000 miles. See, I KNEW you'd be coming up with another deflection.
Yes, they probably live in the area, though some may actually be quite far from Camp David, especially if they live somewhere in NOVA. The point is, their extended family may live in Timbuktu, where they would like to go for Christmas. I know Chicago is a very provincial place, but surely you have a few transplants there? I know people who always go back to the little town in Illinois where they're from. I have some friends who go to both Atlanta (husband's home) and Connecticut (wife's home) every Christmas. DH and I have been known to go to Omaha (his) or Pittsburgh (mine) for Christmas. In fact, the DC area has a lot of transplants living there.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, they probably live in the area, though some may actually be quite far from Camp David, especially if they live somewhere in NOVA. The point is, their extended family may live in Timbuktu, where they would like to go for Christmas. I know Chicago is a very provincial place, but surely you have a few transplants there? I know people who always go back to the little town in Illinois where they're from. I have some friends who go to both Atlanta (husband's home) and Connecticut (wife's home) every Christmas. DH and I have been known to go to Omaha (his) or Pittsburgh (mine) for Christmas. In fact, the DC area has a lot of transplants living there.
Ingenious! Now we must have SS agents whose families live far, far, far away from where they actually work......makes it a lot easier that way to think being away from their families is no big deal, right?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ingenious! Now we must have SS agents whose families live far, far, far away from where they actually work......makes it a lot easier that way to think being away from their families is no big deal, right?
Don't many many people in the military work far, far, far away from their families? Makes your point mute doesn't it.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times
Yet another faux outraged hypocritical thread. Again, THOUSANDS of our Men and Women have spent numerous Christmas away from their families, losing life and limb and here we have a thread bytching about Secret Service men living it up in Hawaii during Christmas, with or without their families? And you ask how is this thread hypocritical? My goodness grow up.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Don't many many people in the military work far, far, far away from their families? Makes your point mute doesn't it.
I've addressed this point before...many times..in this thread. Not going to do it again. If you want the answer, look back a few pages.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
This has to be the most petty and trivial thread I've read in a long long time. I can think of plenty of criticisms against Obama, this one is not one of them. Pretty pathetic and desperate if you ask me
I agree with you, there's nothing more annoying than right wingnut whiners & trolls.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Yet another faux outraged hypocritical thread. Again, THOUSANDS of our Men and Women have spent numerous Christmas away from their families, losing life and limb and here we have a thread bytching about Secret Service men living it up in Hawaii during Christmas, with or without their families? And you ask how is this thread hypocritical? My goodness grow up.
Living it up? That's what you think these people will be doing? Frolicking on the beach, tanning in the sun, taking their leisure around the island?

Please, they are not there to party down, but to protect and serve the man who has taken them away from their families for three years running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies