Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
illegal sales are not subject to capital gains taxes.
Well, well. So you're gonna keep your gains while you want everyone else taxed.

One word comes to mind..hypocrite. What is good for everyone else is not good for "me" ? Everyone but "me" should be taxed ?

Is that how you feel about all other issues as well...good for someone else but you make your own rules for yourself ?

So your belief system doesn't apply to you ?

Well I'm done responding to any of your posts because you wouldn't even practice what you are preaching that everyone else SHOULD do.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well, well. So you're gonna keep your gains while you want everyone else taxed.
obviously... that's what everyone else does. Do you want to pay more in taxes? Do you know anyone who does?

Quote:
One word comes to mind..hypocrite. What is good for everyone else is not good for "me" ? Everyone but "me" should be taxed ?
right, that's the American way. Tax everyone but me. That's what the Tea Party Patriots are fighting for.

Quote:
Is that how you feel about all other issues as well...good for someone else but you make your own rules for yourself ?
yes, it's called exceptionalism. Isn't that part of the American way? Exceptionalism?

Quote:
So your belief system doesn't apply to you ?
i don't have a belief system. that sort of encumberance doesn't appeal to me.

Quote:
Well I'm done responding to any of your posts because you wouldn't even practice what you are preaching that everyone else SHOULD do.

whoa, whoa, i'm not preaching about what everyone else should do. I'm making suggestions about what the government should make everyone do.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It has been pointed out so many time it isn't funny anymore. Ever time federal income taxes are discussed some leftie tries to tie local taxes into the mix because they can't defend their position.

Let me say it real slow for you. NO ONE SAYS PEOPLE ARE NOT PAYING LOCAL TAXES AND FICA TAXES. THE 46% IS FOR FEDERAL INCOMES TAXES ONLY. Are you happy now? Maybe YOU should stop watching MSNBC and you might learn a little. Try to stay on topic.

Let me get this straight. The IRA laws were passed around 1974 and people failed to take advantage of them. The infirmities are excluded from this point.

And don't try to give me that crap, "they couldn't afford to".

I worked in the biggest slums in Wash DC. There is ALWAYS "disposable income".
As long as the "Hannity talking heads" keep repeating that 46% of Americans do not pay taxes I will keep saying what I said. BTW, I'm aware of the difference between local taxes and federal ones.

Just because you worked in the biggest slums of D.C does not make you an expert on the personal expenditure of the poor. The main reasons that people are poor is one, they were never taught how to invest and secondly the "poor" do not have disposable income that is the reason why they are called "POOR"

I never understood why people who have, cannot fathom why others do not. Their attitude is "I got mine so why can't you get yours the same way" or like some of the teabaggers motto "I got mine but if you don't look like me or believe what I believe in you don't deserve the things that I have"

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
As long as the "Hannity talking heads" keep repeating that 46% of Americans do not pay taxes I will keep saying what I said. BTW, I'm aware of the difference between local taxes and federal ones.
More on that:

Quote:
The Distributional Effect of Tax Cuts — A Brief Note

With taxes on the wealthy on the political radar, we’re going to drowning in a vast wave of double-talk and smothered by vast amounts of fuzzy math. Still, one has to try. So, a couple of notes.

One is that you have to beware of the old trick of saying “taxes”, then slipping into “income taxes”. Most Americans pay more payroll than income taxes, but the reverse is true at high incomes. So focusing only on income taxes makes it seem as if the rich pay much more of the burden than they really do.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 AM

89,053 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
More on that:
Quote:
One is that you have to beware of the old trick of saying “taxes”, then slipping into “income taxes”. Most Americans pay more payroll than income taxes, but the reverse is true at high incomes. So focusing only on income taxes makes it seem as if the rich pay much more of the burden than they really do.
Let's take a look at the actual burden for ALL taxes, local, state, and federal, shall we?

Figure 2 (page 23), here:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/wp1.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
because NO-ONE should be taxed more than someone else

tax EVERYONE at the same equal rate
...and taxing INCOME is just stupid since a good portion of income is never reported..tax spending..that's the one way to really tax the rich

we(the people) pay too much in taxes as it is

tax everyone equally, with very few deductions and you will see MORE money come into the government at a lower rate

if we can (right now) say the top 50% pays 97% of the federal income tax..and the average rate is 19%..then why not lower the tax rate to 15% or 10% FOR ALL

the biggest question is why would you want to tax someone at a higher rate,just for making a good living

Let me clear this up, I believe that unearned income (various investments) should be taxed more than earned income such as payroll. I do agree that runaway spending should be curtailed but for the last 10-15 years the wealthy have been getting break after break while the diminishing middle class as suffered. So after 10-15 years why can't they tighten their belts for a while so that at least the middle class get get a piece of the American dream instead of living the American nightmare?

As far as them "making a good living", you fell to realize that they did it on the backs of the middle class and poor of this country.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Let me clear this up, I believe that unearned income (various investments) should be taxed more than earned income such as payroll. I do agree that runaway spending should be curtailed but for the last 10-15 years the wealthy have been getting break after break while the diminishing middle class as suffered. So after 10-15 years why can't they tighten their belts for a while so that at least the middle class get get a piece of the American dream instead of living the American nightmare?

As far as them "making a good living", you fell to realize that they did it on the backs of the middle class and poor of this country.
You already have a capital gains tax and in 2013 there is the medicare tax (3.8% on 200K/250K earners).

How much more do you want from them ?

FWIW that 3.8% tax also includes income from rentals BEFORE deductions so I'll wager rents will increase to cover that tax starting this year.
So yeah..you're taxing the wealthy who in turn will recoup that tax from the middle class via increased prices. You're shooting yourself in the foot here.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM

89,053 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Let me clear this up, I believe that unearned income (various investments) should be taxed more than earned income such as payroll.
Say goodbye to your and everyone else's pension/retirement. Much of that is unearned investment income.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Say goodbye to your and everyone else's pension/retirement. Much of that is unearned investment income.
People are sadly misinformed and misled. They seem to think that only the wealthy have unearned income.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Let me clear this up, I believe that unearned income (various investments) should be taxed more than earned income such as payroll. .
why

why should you be taxed at more than 15%(current) when you are only earning 1%

why not just tax ALL income (earned and unearned) for all income levels at 15% OR LESS (like 10%)...let EVERYONE have skin in the game...or better yet..tax spending

example....warren buffet...he pays (about) 17% total (earned and unearned combined) (and then he lies, and says his secreatary pays more..in fact she gets EVERYTHING back and pays nothing)...but he spends a 100 million a year

tax spending...think of the tax on the yacht or the wifes furs, or that lexus/rolex...you want the rich to pay..tax spending
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies