Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Well, my wages are taxed by state, federal income, and payroll taxes. That's 3x.

So, yeah, taxing investment income higher than wages is a good idea.
No, that's once by three different tax authorities.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its not my fault you dont know the difference between income, and wealth.

Show me where I said it was wrong...

I said it has nothing to do with the discussion..

If I ask who the president is, and you respond with the sun keeps the earth warm, did you really answer? I think not, but thats the garbage being posted here To recap, I said the House passed a 2 month bill, while the Senate wanted 1 year. Show me where he proved me wrong..
You actually pretty amusing, instead of admitting you were wrong you begin the double talk.

DEFLECT MUCH?

All YOU need to do is track back thru these posts to YOUR own post where you asked where the US Constitution authorizes taxing WEALTH. I sound you where and you throw garbage at the wall double talk began.

FACT: Congress has the authority to tax wealth.

LOL, you actually think you're talking to someone that doesn't know the difference between wealth and income? Really? Put in simple terms for you wealth is the accumulation of EXCESS INCOME. That my friend is exactly why the working poor have no wealth, the have no EXCESS INCOME.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The HOUSE bill was for TWO months.. PERIOD.. and the House is Democratic.. The Democrats FAILED!!
YOU REALLY DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG HERE? ^^^^^

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Still waiting for you to quote me the section of the Constitution which authorizes the federal government to tax wealth?
HERE THIS QUESTION^^^^^

You asked for an answer and I provided it. I know it must be confusing to you so i'll give that answer again.

Article 1 Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
There is no economic benefit to taxing investment income different than wages. All throughout the last five decades rates on capital gains and interest have varied widely and there is no empirical evidence to suggest that lowering capital gains rates or having low rates on interest and dividends did anything but lower government revenue from where it would have otherwise been. When rates were high, there were investors willing to risk their money to make more money.

Likewise, it also makes no logical sense that higher taxes on capital gains, interest and dividends discourages investment while higher taxes on wages do not discourage work.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
No, that's once by three different tax authorities.
1 x 3 = 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Say goodbye to your pension/retirement. Much of that is investment income.
What do you mean? My retirement will be funded by selling the gold and ammo I have stockpiled in a buried schoolbus somewhere in the sandhills.

Quote:
That makes absolutley no sense because investment income is also taxed by state, federal, property, etc
My wages are taxed multiple times, so I prefer that investment income is also taxed multiple times.

Furthermore, my wages are not being inflated by monetary policy, whereas investment income is. So I'm paying a "tax" in the form of higher commodity costs and stagnant wages, while investors are reaping the benefits in the form of higher asset prices and greater ROI. So no, I am not compelled by the whining of these tax-privileged investors.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 01-10-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
1 x 3 = 3

What do you mean? My retirement will be funded by selling the gold and ammo I have stockpiled in a buried schoolbus somewhere in the sandhills.

At a profit I assume which is CAPITAL GAINS.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At a profit I assume which is CAPITAL GAINS.
illegal sales are not subject to capital gains taxes.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
illegal sales are not subject to capital gains taxes.
So... you want others to pay more taxes while you illegally evade paying taxes on capital gains?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... you want others to pay more taxes while you illegally evade paying taxes on capital gains?
correct. that would be great if we could minimize my taxes.

what I'd REALLY like is to be able to borrow unlimited funds from the government at say, 0.1%, and then re-invest that money in government backed securities that pay, say, 4%.

However in the absence of such a scheme, no taxes would be a reasonable consolation prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies