Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't know who the "nuevo-middle class" is but the middle-class has not blossomed under Reaganomics. Every study has show that the top 0.1% has done the best since 1979, followed by the top 1%. The rest are either worse off or stagnant.

The New York Times addressed this in today's editorial (snippet):
Nuevo middle class as in the semi-educated, semi-professional, semi-white-collar working class that replaced the industrial working middle class that peaked in the 1970s. The true or classic middle-class - professionals like doctors, lawyers, accounts, architects, business owners, etc. have always done just fine. It's the masses, working middle class that fell out and now this nuevo middle class that has risen since Reagan is falling out. It's been ever increasingly difficult to make a living on a HS diploma and the working-class has mostly fallen out and now it's happening to the new working class who hold bachelor's degrees and college education.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
"Tax the rich" is nothing more than left-wing appeasement and class warfare. Go ahead and raise the tax rates on the upper class; they'll just find more places to hide their money or use loopholes to avoid paying those higher rates. Our tax code is 70,000 pages for a reason -- it's full of loopholes the rich have bought to avoid paying higher taxes.
You mean the lowest rates that they've been paying... ever?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The 16th amendment allows for the federal government to "lay and collect taxes from whatever source derived".

The enumerated powers describe what the tax revenue can be spent on.

Read them sometimes.

Using revenue collected from one citizen to support another is unconstitutional.

Thank you....play again!
To say that you don't know what you are talking about is an insult to people who don't know what they are talking about.

But I do not feel compelled to argue against your inane beliefs, just like I do not feel compelled to argue with ranters on the subway.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Don't put words in other people's mouths.

One can quote anecdotal examples. However, the main reason the nation should tax the wealthy greater is that when we did, we had a better nation and we ran budget surpluses.
Perhaps this is because we never tried the philosophy of cutting off people who drag our society down....

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
That's a valid point.

My parents lived the last ten years of their lives with nothing but Social Security and interest on a small amount of money, after a lifetime of paying taxes. The regressives will never convince me that they 'didn't have a stake' in the nation and would have had they been required to pay taxes on their meager income.
So your parents were poor planners that didn't save up enough to retire on, and instead relied on taking out of a system they were forced to pay into for years....with the end result being they took more out of that system than they paid into it, thus creating a pyramid problem.

Got it. And who, pray tell, is at fault for your parents not planning for retirement properly to where they had to rely on SSI? Oh wait I know, some Wall Street banker, right?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
To say that you don't know what you are talking about is an insult to people who don't know what they are talking about.

But I do not feel compelled to argue against your inane beliefs, just like I do not feel compelled to argue with ranters on the subway.
The go to answer from someone who cannot support their beliefs.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
That's a valid point.

My parents lived the last ten years of their lives with nothing but Social Security and interest on a small amount of money, after a lifetime of paying taxes. The regressives will never convince me that they 'didn't have a stake' in the nation and would have had they been required to pay taxes on their meager income.
A perfect argument against social security.

Imagine if hey had been allowed to save their own money?

You're not insinuating that they would not have had the discipline to do hat, are you?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A perfect argument against social security.

Imagine if hey had been allowed to save their own money?

You're not insinuating that they would not have had the discipline to do hat, are you?
What those who make the argument that "Social Security isn't needed because people would be better off had they invested their own money," always seem to ignore is that while the individual contributes to the SSA program, the employer contributes an equal amount and it's not evident that employers would voluntarily forgo that amount to the employee in the absence of SSA.

Moreover, it ignores the historical record. Prior to SSA, Americans did not save for retirement and it's irrelevant what my parents would have done. As such, SSA has been a large benefit to seniors and that's why the overwhelmingly support the program.

In any case, this is off-topic as the topic is taxing those with low income. As I said, it makes little practical sense to tax the under-privileged, creating a burden to them, when adding a few percentage points to the wealthy is far less burdensome to them while adding a great deal of revenue.

This should be a no-brainer.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Perhaps this is because we never tried the philosophy of cutting off people who drag our society down....
This is a remarkable assertion -- that the poor, who perform the tasks nobody else wants to do, are a drag on society.

It's remarkable because the last few years are fresh in memory, a time when financial executives who helped bring on the worst drop in wealth since the Great Depression -- whose contribution to our society has been massively negative and brought our global economy to the brink of ruin -- went on to receive large riches. Yet, you consider the poor to be the "drag our society" not the ones who collapsed the economy.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
This is a remarkable assertion -- that the poor, who perform the tasks nobody else wants to do, are a drag on society.

It's remarkable because the last few years are fresh in memory, a time when financial executives who helped bring on the worst drop in wealth since the Great Depression -- whose contribution to our society has been massively negative and brought our global economy to the brink of ruin -- went on to receive large riches. Yet, you consider the poor to be the "drag our society" not the ones who collapsed the economy.
No, the illegals are moving in to do that. And they don't complain, they don't demand raises, they don't take days off whenever they feel like it, they do work hard.

Yes, I can see why employers hire the illegals over citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies