Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If they jack up prices of fuel, watch everything go up in price along with it. They can't think that increasing fuel costs to companies that halt good and services to go unnoticed, they will pass those costs on to the consumer.

as someone we all know has said, regarding increased energy costs:

"..that will cost money and they will have to pass those costs onto consumers."
Yeah as if the price of groceries hasn't gone up enough already. States are looking at any and every way to increase revenue. They don't look at things like long term effect of doing anything as long as they can bray on how they fixed a road that didn't need fixing in the first place..........or I should rephrase that and put in the word "infrastructure" as that makes it seem more important for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yeah, I'm telling you that it is a good idea. Won't mind if Texas does something along the lines. People are free to whine, including that only people from MD should participate in this thread.

No, you are loudmouthing your hyprocrisy.

Unless you are going to sell the Beamer and start taking the DART bus, which you ain't gonna do because then you would have to sit near "them people."

Get lost Trust Fund Baby.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Watch for more of this as states look for any and all types of revenue streams.
They won't cut programs so they have to get more money.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Unless you are going to sell the Beamer and start taking the DART bus, which you ain't gonna do because then you would have to sit near "them people."

You see, I'm willing to pay. You're the one complaining. So much for your ideas of "hypocrisy".

PS. Don't hate success.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Really? Do you have the data, or pulling an argument out of thin air? And why do you think prices are as high as they've been for months? Is it because we can't produce enough, or the demand is down and we produce too much?
In MD specifically the rationale for increasing the gas tax is a combination of backlogged maintenance, shortages due to raiding of the Trust Fund and lower consumption of fuel.

The tobacco tax was by way of example. The Comptroller of MD, Peter Franchot, has referenced the lower tax revenues from it several times the last year or so in meetings I've attended. The increase this year is being championed as a leveling of the field for cigars and smokeless tobacco.

For note: I don't pull statistics or examples out of my ass for effect as some on here do.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In MD specifically the rationale for incresing the gas tax is a combination of backlogged maintenance, shortages due to raiding of the Trust Fund and lower consumption of fuel.

The tobacco tax was by way of example. The Comptroller of MD, Peter Franchot, has referenced the lower tax revenues from it several times the last year or so in meetings I've attended. The increase this year is being championed as a leveling of the field for cigars and smokeless tobacco.

For note: I don't pull statistics or examples out of my ass for effect as some on here do.
Well, I guess that is why we will never see you substantiate your claims with statistics, only "arguments". Anyway, lower consumption of fuel should lead to lower cost of fuel, which should help alleviate a 6% tax burden on people.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Well, I guess that is why we will never see you substantiate your claims with statistics, only "arguments". Anyway, lower consumption of fuel should lead to lower cost of fuel, which should help alleviate a 6% tax burden on people.
You would be correct with should. You know as well as I do the current fuel prices have more than just a supply and demand component.

Maryland: Tobacco tax revenue - baltimoresun.com

The Tax Foundation - Maryland's Doubled Cigarette Tax Brings in Just 50% More Revenue

Spotlight on Maryland - Where Your Money Comes From

Motor Fuel, Alcohol and Tobacco Tax - Alcohol & Tobacco Tax Bureau

Knock yourself out.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I wasn't looking for your ability to post any link, but to post data that confirms lower consumption of fuel. And just being in agreement that there is something more to it than just supply and demand component doesn't really imply that we agree in the details either. I'm interested in your understanding that you use to present the argument.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Man you are ignorant. The man has repeatedly said that he is for paying a higher tax.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Another loony liberal idea.

What happened to the outrage about high gasoline prices when Bush was the president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies