Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,617,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually today I had a woman coming in the other direction who was not yielding to the left(it was a somewhat narrow street the requires drivers to move over when two cars on are on the road).

I slowed down and was going to honk the horn to get her to move over, when she finally realized there was a car coming at her.

Guess what? She was on her cell phone.

So busy talking and not paying attention to the fact that she was not the only car on this narrow side street.
I can sit here and recite stories about horrible drivers all day, drivers who were not on a cell phone. People seem to think that bad driving didn't exist before cell phones. Now everyone is on cell phone and when people see a bad driver they automatically blame the cell phone. It's psychological.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually today I had a woman coming in the other direction who was not yielding to the left(it was a somewhat narrow street the requires drivers to move over when two cars on are on the road).

I slowed down and was going to honk the horn to get her to move over, when she finally realized there was a car coming at her.

Guess what? She was on her cell phone.

So busy talking and not paying attention to the fact that she was not the only car on this narrow side street.
Something similar happened to me back in 1976. I had to honk too, no cell phone required.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,666,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I can sit here and recite stories about horrible drivers all day, drivers who were not on a cell phone. People seem to think that bad driving didn't exist before cell phones. Now everyone is on cell phone and when people see a bad driver they automatically blame the cell phone. It's psychological.
It's logical...and FACT !! Cell phone talking while driving is dumb, DANGEROUS and deadly !!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
It's logical...and FACT !! Cell phone talking while driving is dumb, DANGEROUS and deadly !!
And a federal ban on cell phone talking while driving is unconstitutional.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 AM

664 posts, read 774,534 times
what's a federal ban on driving while on the cell phone going to accomplish? Honestly? Police are going to be pulling people over if they see someone on the phone, even if that's their only "offense"? Even if that becomes true, you think this is going to make any kind of difference? There are less than 1 million police officers in this country, how many people are driving each and every day? So what, you may get pulled over and get a ticket for using a cell phone once or twice in your life, big effing deal.

What about hands free cell phone use? Is it the holding of the phone that is the issue, or the talking? Most new cars come with Bluetooth and integrated phone use. Say a name and it places the call for you. So, are people going to get pulled over for moving their mouths while driving? This isn't going to solve anything. Distracted drivers will still be distracted, get rid of cell phones and there are 100 other things that you can get rid of as well.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 AM

475 posts, read 509,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
And a federal ban on cell phone talking while driving is unconstitutional.
Why is it unconstitutional ? because they want to save people's lives ?
Geez, some people are just beyond stupid.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 AM

664 posts, read 774,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
how exactly is it going to save lives? Is Obama going to hire government cell phone police to watch as we drive? So what, cell phone use is banned in cars, big whoop. People are still going to use them. Speeding is against the law as well, people still drive like a bat out of hell. Drinking and driving is against the law, people still get drunk and drive. A national cell phone ban isn't going to do anything, it's just feel good legislation.

The only way it would ever possibly work is to jam cell phone use while driving, but then what about your passengers? No one in the car at all, even if you're not driving, would be able to use a phone. What about in an accident and the engine is still running? What about calling the highway patrol while driving to report a dangerous driver/some other accident, etc? No possible way in the world to BAN cell phone use and have any discernible effect.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Read the U.S. Constitution and in particular the 10th Amendment and then get back to me on your theory of stupidity.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,243,841 times
There can never be laws that will prevent stupid and or carless people from doing things that endanger others.
There can be no law that ensures that drivers will give the road their full attention or be good drivers even if they do.
However, this law aims at keeping both hands free and available to be able to drive properly and to be able to respond quickly.
Most of us would probably give little thought to dropping whatever might be in your hand if you needed it and/or can hold it in the same hand while flicking on your directional signal. But, truthfully....how many will take the phone away from your ear or stop midsentence, to do the same?
Use a hands-free.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times
No one ever likes change.

There was good, solid data that driving while intoxicated killed people. So the government cracked down on it. Did it stop all impaired driving? No. But the harsher fines and punishments as well as awareness campaigns have reduced the behavior.

Seatbelts. No one wanted to be told to wear their seatbelts. But there was statistical evidence to show that seatbelt use saved lives. Again, stricter fines were put in place for not using them and awareness campaigns were initiated. Now, strapping on your seatbelt is as natural as breathing.

Cell phone use while driving. We're going to get with it one day. The statistics are out there. Especially for texting and driving. Yes, it is "distracted" driving but cell phone use is the one that's more commonly done by the majority of people. Yes, we have our "eaters" and "make-up appliers" but that's not most people, all the time.

I admit to using my cellphone in traffic when I shouldn't. I do think I am distracted when I use it. I haven't done anything weird because I'm not having big conversations, like some folks. It's usually just my husband calling for a quick "what should I pick up at the store." I recently got a new car and it has Bluetooth. While I am still distracted because I am having a conversation, it is LOADS better than when I had to hold my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies