Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
saying we would and doing it could be two different things. I voted yes,down deep I have to admit, I really don't know. I have known a few people, who are athiest that share many of my views, the majority do not and the majority of athiests I have known feel it is ok to put Chrisians down, thinking we are beneith them. I have to admit, I really have mixed feelings about this...

How many atheists do you know????? The "majority" of what? One, two???

As you COULD see in here if you weren't so biased:

the majority of Christians I have known feel it is ok to put atheists down, thinking we are beneath them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obviously, you've never been to church in your life,"""

Obviously? Why? What a ridiculous (and so christian) opinion. I was raised Catholic, 18 years of BS and I that cured me!

"""never even tried to read the Bible""

Had it shoved down my throat for 8 years in school...you are WRONG again!!!

""and probably have never believed something bigger than yourself exists."""

Wrong again....I believe in elephants, zebras, large dogs, the sofa, the recliner, the universe, they're all bigger than I....but it's still a really stupid "point".

""Where does one start with someone like you? You would ridicule anything I said.""

Well you're right here! But I wouldn't if it made sense or had any facts to back it up.

But, God is awesome. And he would take you from where you are. He doesn't care what you have said, or done in the past. He wants you. God loves his creation, and that means you too.

He didn't make a "flawed product", but he gave us a free will.""

Obviously one more flaw!!!

""Call it (to put it in todays terms), "the right to choose."

All I can tell you, is one day I prayed for Him to enter my life. I won't bore you with the details of how this happened. But I can tell you, I felt the Holy Spirit take over my body, and from that point on, I was a new person. All I could think about for weeks was, "Jesus." My language cleaned up (I had been pretty free with the "F" word, and others).

I'm an atheist and never had a foul mouth.

""I had no impluse to use foul language again. It just disappeared. I didn't even have to think about it. It just went "poof."

I looked at everyting differently.

We weren't even going to church then. I hadn't been to church since I was a kid, and my mother basically "made" us go. It meant nothing to me then.

I had ridiculed a friend in the Navy who was a believer. I teased him. Suddenly, I felt very sad that I had done that, and to this day, I wish I could tell him what a good friend he was, and how sorry I am for making fun of his faith.

That all. Just think about this. That's all I can hope for.
Very happy you found salvation from swear words.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 AM

667 posts, read 516,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It wasn't. Living in a country that is majority xian doesn't make it a nation founded on xian doctrine. The founders of this country were by in large deists. Please point to where jesus name is mentioned in the constitution.
So that is your criteria? Is atheism mentioned in the constitution?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

If you were forced to place your life in the hands of a stranger, only having a blind choice between an atheist or a religious person; which would you choose?

I'd choose a religious person, and certainly a Christian, over an atheist in a heart beat. At least a truly religious person is seeking a higher purpose for their lives. Atheists look forward to nothing but nothingness. There's something to say about the benefits of a walk which imparts a higher conscienceness and therefore, a conscience.
Oh, bunk. Having a conscience is part of a functioning human brain, no matter where you subscribe it comes from.

People that don't have a conscience are called psychopaths, not atheists.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Why not? I vote for people saying 'holy one", " father in heaven and my God blesses and forgives you, in God we pray, God bless America" Not a difference there. Now you know how atheist feel. You'd deal with it, I do, I don't have that choice.
Because when people use words like "sky fairy" they are mocking others beliefs. It's meant to be an insult.

So yeah there is a difference. Unless you feel insulted when someone says "God bless America"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
However, I DO dislike the christians who can't just live and let live.
I do too so what's your point? Oh I know you assumed because I have personal religious beliefs that I support pushy Christian fanatics? FAIL.

I support the right to have PERSONAL beliefs. And I dislike anyone who can't respect that.

How clever of you to use my post to prove my point. Gold star.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's not a moot point, because a candidate is running that you say is a "non-Christian" but that many other Americans say is a "Christian." You just don't have a good answer to the question and are trying to avoid having to answer it.

What gives you the right to determine which denominations are Christians and which ones aren't? What happens the next time a Catholic runs for President? It might be okay with you, since you apparently believe that Catholics are Christians, but many other Evangelical Christians don't. It's all a matter of opinion, and as soon as you or anybody else says, "We need to have a Christian President," you're going to find people who have every bit as much of a right as you do to say what makes a person a "Christian" and who disagree with your definition of the word.
Everyone has that right. That is the beauty of living in a free country.

If someone says Catholics are not Christians, I'll tell them I respectfiully disagree, and then I move on. They have a right to have their opinon.

You seem to think mormons are christians...well, I respectfully disagree, and I base my opinon on the fact that many of their beliefs are not founded in the word of God, but in the book of mormon, which is a book written by a man who (IMO) made it all up.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Because when people use words like "sky fairy" they are mocking others beliefs. It's meant to be an insult.

So yeah there is a difference. Unless you feel insulted when someone says "God bless America"...

I do too so what's your point? Oh I know you assumed because I have personal religious beliefs that I support pushy Christian fanatics? FAIL.

I support the right to have PERSONAL beliefs. And I dislike anyone who can't respect that.

How clever of you to use my post to prove my point. Gold star.
No, I turned your post around on you so that maybe you might see that the exact same thing could be said about another group.

YOU must have a guilty conscience with all that you read into a simple statement:
"""However, I DO dislike the christians who can't just live and let live."""

EXACTLY like you dislike the "atheists who can't just live and let live".

Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If someone says Catholics are not Christians, I'll tell them I respectfiully disagree, and then I move on. They have a right to have their opinon.
I just walk away since it's clear that I have just encountered an absolute idiot...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Everyone has that right. That is the beauty of living in a free country.

You seem to think mormons are christians...well, I respectfully disagree, and I base my opinon on the fact that many of their beliefs are not founded in the word of God, but in the book of mormon, which is a book written by a man who (IMO) made it all up.
I agree with most of what you post but

the bible was also writtne by men....and was mangled and interpreted and changed to suit whatever man had the power to change it for hundreds of years.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree with most of what you post but

the bible was also writtne by men....and was mangled and interpreted and changed to suit whatever man had the power to change it for hundreds of years.
Many have made the argument about the 'evolving Bible', but science proved otherwise. When the dead sea scrolls were discovered in the desert, the linguists and historians pored over the details in the scrolls and they compared them to the modern versions of the Bible, and they were amazed to find that books such as book of Daniel were practically identical word for word. It throws out the argument that the Bible has changed beyong recognition over the years. It has not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies