Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
LOL! So YOU decide who is christian and who isn't? Are Mormons more evil than atheists or are they less evil..(LOL!) (Guess Mittsy is ruled out...)

No, I never called them, or atheists 'evil'. Why do you keep putting words into other people's mouths?

Quote:
No, it doesn't ...aren't Catholics christian? Or have YOU decided they're not either? THEIR ruler is the Pope....they follow him no matter what country they live in.

Eeehhhh....I said the pope is ruled out because he is not American. The US president has to be a US citizen.

Quote:
Well some seem to think so, they say it's a christian nation and christians should lead it...if not perfect then shouldn't a christian nation be close to perfection?

I already explained it, and it didn't sink in, so I wont' bother repeating it.

Quote:
And some countries do just fine without bowing to religious influence. (East Germany and the Soviet Union do not exist anymore.... and "god' had nothing to do with it)

Yea, so much for the atheist experiment.

Quote:
Who are YOU to decide if this country's the best......
It is the most successful country on the planet. There is no doubt about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM

56 posts, read 41,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, I don't think it proves anything. The things the medievel countries did were not Christian. They hijacked Christianity and used it to control the populations. That in itself is an unChristian thing to do. They will answer to God for their crimes.

I'll pick US over any of those countries. Remember that in free countries including the US you are free to be an atheist, but this discussion is about the leader of a country and whether or not he/she should be a Christian.
So you're point about North Korea, Soviet Union and East Germany is invalid as well. Because for me as an atheist the crimes that the leaders of these countries commited were against the spirit of atheism. So either we are both right and a christian as well as an atheist leader can be a very very bad choice. Or we are both wrong.

Imo we're both wrong. Religious beliefs don't make someone a good or a bad president by default. As long as he doesn't base his political decision making on his religious beliefs it doesn't matter if he is an atheist, a christian, a muslim or whatever.

And I certainly am a bit biased towards my own country as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
saying we would and doing it could be two different things. I voted yes,down deep I have to admit, I really don't know. I have known a few people, who are athiest that share many of my views, the majority do not and the majority of athiests I have known feel it is ok to put Chrisians down, thinking we are beneith them. I have to admit, I really have mixed feelings about this...

Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,981 times
I'm gonna address some of the things I saw.

1. IMO religion has nothing to do with good/bad in people. HUMANITY is the reason people do evil things. There are good and bad Christians, good and bad Jews, good and bad Atheists...

2. The reason that Christian presidents have not fixed this country to be perfect is because they are HUMAN. If they were perfect, we'd win every war without losing a life and everyone would be employed in the top 1% (guess it wouldn't be the 1% anymore). Think about it, what kind of God would allow you immunity to destroy enemies that also believe in Him?

3. The reason people think certain groups are bad is because of stories that have managed to get around to everyone. From Muslim extremists to Christians protesting gays and abortion. It gives others who practice the religion a bad name. At my church in Texas, a Christian group showed up to protest us because we accepted gays. Goes to show you that there are Christians that don't care and all members of a religious group don't respect each other.

Would I be OK with an atheist president? Probably. Would being atheist make a difference in his decision-making? I doubt it.

I don't walk around every day asking God to help me drive to McDonalds or asking Him to keep me focused at work. In the same regard, I would understand if the president prayed for guidance, but in the end, wouldn't God provide him with the same logic and reasoning that an atheist president would use? In fact, it might relieve him a little bit to know someone is on his side, allowing him to make a less stressed decision. Plus there are several people surrounding him that could influence his decision-making.

For those that practice any religion, they know that God doesn't necessarily place random thoughts in your head when you ask for help. Many times the help you seek comes from another individual -- the same individual that would give the same guidance to an atheist. Did it come from God? None of us can really know. However, faith tells me it did.

I am a Christian and also probably the most rational thinker among my friends, who are Jewish, Christian, Atheist...so IMO, God isn't what makes you crazy...your brain is.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, since mormons are not Christians, and I already said it should be a Christians person, so I'll repeat again, that it should be a Christians person. I don't care which denomination...
You don't care which denomination as long as it's one you personally consider to be Christian. How come it's you who gets to decide who's a Christian? How come I don't get to decide? You apparently think Catholics are Christians, since your only objection to the Pope being President is that he's not an American. I know a great many professed Christians who don't consider Catholicism to be a Christian denomination. You'd apparently be okay with a Catholic President. Again... how come it's you who gets to decide who's a Christian and who isn't?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
What is this bullcrap about countries like North Korea, Soviet Union, East Germany being atheist?

These nations weren't atheist, they were anti-religion. They were so not because the great leaders decided that there is no god but because you cannot have a competing authority in an authoritarian system. It's really not that difficult, you know?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You don't care which denomination as long as it's one you personally consider to be Christian. How come it's you who gets to decide who's a Christian? How come I don't get to decide? You apparently think Catholics are Christians, since your only objection to the Pope being President is that he's not an American. I know a great many professed Christians who don't consider Catholicism to be a Christian denomination. You'd apparently be okay with a Catholic President. Again... how come it's you who gets to decide who's a Christian and who isn't?
The pope is not running, so it's a moot point.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
What is this bullcrap about countries like North Korea, Soviet Union, East Germany being atheist?

These nations weren't atheist, they were anti-religion. They were so not because the great leaders decided that there is no god but because you cannot have a competing authority in an authoritarian system. It's really not that difficult, you know?
Thank you for distinguishing the difference between an atheist and an anti-theist. Atheists have no animosity toward any of the religions, but anti-theists do.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thank you for distinguishing the difference between an atheist and an anti-theist. Atheists have no animosity toward any of the religions, but anti-theists do.
Indeed - but as you probably know, when it can serve an ideology, it's best to throw distinct categories together and treat them as one. Thus, people like to pair atheists with anti-theists or, by extension, argue that since Christians have a moral codex, atheists do not. You can see it right here on this very thread: You cannot have an atheist president because he would obviously have no moral standards.

It's the same principle people apply all over the place. Thus, endorsing homosexuality MUST mean that you also endorse bestiality; pro-choice MUST mean that you are for the murder of children; etc. It's a rather simple-minded, self-serving leap.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Atheists have no animosity toward any of the religions, but anti-theists do.
Some don't, by many do, and they invest a lot of time trying to prove there is no God. The state-atheism practiced in the countries we mentioned earlier did exactly that. They put in a lot of effort to brainwash people into becoming atheists. It was much easier with kids, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies