Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
We had a man of God, a born again christian, GW Bush. He got us into two unfunded wars in which 100,000 plus Iraqis died, 7000 Americans, and scores injured and disabled at a cost of trillions of dollars. GW Bush claimed he spoke with God and his presidency crashed the country and killed thousands. I firmly believe we could do far better anyone who had no affiliation with any religion and even no belief in a higher being.

After all the damage GW Bush did I find it hard to believe that republicans selected a mormon. If Bush had no problem killing so many people and calling himself a BAC I can only imagine what a mormon will do with the power of the presidency.
Yes, he was a bit of a disappointment, I must admit. Maybe even more than just "a bit. He was a deeply confused individual. Obviously just being a Christian doesn't qualify anyone for the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM

311 posts, read 605,818 times
America is a Christian country but with freedom of religion and no official state religion (A.k.a it is not a Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, or Orthodox country, just plain Christian)

Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
America is a Christian country but with freedom of religion and no official state religion (A.k.a it is not a Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, or Orthodox country, just plain Christian)
It's not, just like Utah isn't a Mormon state or Manhattan a Jewish City.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
One cannot be brainwashed into having faith, anymore than one can be brainwashed into not having faith. Faith is inherent, it is something that you either have or do not have, it cannot be given or taken. Recognizing that fact is what distinguishes atheists from anti-theists.

I do not care what anyone believes, or does not believe, providing they keep that belief, or the lack thereof, to themselves. What someone believes, or does not believe, neither "breaks my arm nor picks my pocket" to paraphrase Thomas Jefferson.
Faith is believing in something without evidence or evidence to the contrary. That is in no way inherent. People must be taught and indoctrinated into believe in the irrational. The issue with not caring is that believers are taught to spread their belief. The whole, if they keep it to themselves line is such a fallacy.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM

667 posts, read 516,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It's not, just like Utah isn't a Mormon state or Manhattan a Jewish City.
You are correct that living in America does not make you a Christian any more than living in Utah makes you a Mormon.

However, America was founded upon Christian doctrine.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:03 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why did you "god" thing make such a flawed product???

Whatever your god thing is , it sure did a really lousy job...and you still pretend to worship it????
Obviously, you've never been to church in your life, never even tried to read the Bible and probably have never believed something bigger than yourself exists. Where does one start with someone like you? You would ridicule anything I said.

But, God is awesome. And he would take you from where you are. He doesn't care what you have said, or done in the past. He wants you. God loves his creation, and that means you too.

He didn't make a "flawed product", but he gave us a free will. Call it (to put it in todays terms), "the right to choose."

All I can tell you, is one day I prayed for Him to enter my life. I won't bore you with the details of how this happened. But I can tell you, I felt the Holy Spirit take over my body, and from that point on, I was a new person. All I could think about for weeks was, "Jesus." My language cleaned up (I had been pretty free with the "F" word, and others). I had no impluse to use foul language again. It just disappeared. I didn't even have to think about it. It just went "poof."

I looked at everyting differently.

We weren't even going to church then. I hadn't been to church since I was a kid, and my mother basically "made" us go. It meant nothing to me then.

I had ridiculed a friend in the Navy who was a believer. I teased him. Suddenly, I felt very sad that I had done that, and to this day, I wish I could tell him what a good friend he was, and how sorry I am for making fun of his faith.

That all. Just think about this. That's all I can hope for.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,481 times
I really don't care whether a president does or does not possess a belief in some sort of religion. The only thing I care about is how said individual is going to run the country. That's how my vote goes, whoever I think is going to best run our country. In other words, yes, I would very willing vote for an atheist president if I felt that he/she was the best candidate to lead our country forward.

To be honest, it kind of blows my mind that some people wouldn't vote for a candidate just because he or she may not possess a religious belief! Why do you care? Having a belief in a religion in no way effects the way that a person runs this country. Unfortunately, imho, far too many people in the USA (including many of our leading politicians) oftentimes blur their political and religious sentiments. There is supposed to be a very fine line dividing them and making them separate entities.

Also, the USA is not a Christian country. We are a secular nation....

And, before you comment, no, I am not an atheist myself (not that it really matters or that I think there's anything wrong with people that are). I am merely a rational person.......

Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
You are correct that living in America does not make you a Christian any more than living in Utah makes you a Mormon.

However, America was founded upon Christian doctrine.
It wasn't. Living in a country that is majority xian doesn't make it a nation founded on xian doctrine. The founders of this country were by in large deists. Please point to where jesus name is mentioned in the constitution.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
"The greatest evil has not come from people zealous for God.
It has resulted when people are convinced there is no God to answer to." - Greg Koukl, from his book Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions

Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
"The greatest evil has not come from people zealous for God.
It has resulted when people are convinced there is no God to answer to." - Greg Koukl, from his book Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
Except when it comes to those who believe there is a god to answer to and that god is going to reward their evil deeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies