Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The pope is not running, so it's a moot point.
It's not a moot point, because a candidate is running that you say is a "non-Christian" but that many other Americans say is a "Christian." You just don't have a good answer to the question and are trying to avoid having to answer it.

What gives you the right to determine which denominations are Christians and which ones aren't? What happens the next time a Catholic runs for President? It might be okay with you, since you apparently believe that Catholics are Christians, but many other Evangelical Christians don't. It's all a matter of opinion, and as soon as you or anybody else says, "We need to have a Christian President," you're going to find people who have every bit as much of a right as you do to say what makes a person a "Christian" and who disagree with your definition of the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
- YOU already have an atheist President and you want to toss him out..so what are you talking about here? Obama really has no spiritual belief...Look a that Reverend Wright- an atheist hiding behind religion - who in part was Obama's mentor...Give me a break- Besides how would you know if someone is truly and atheist or not- For God's sake...everyone thought that Obama was black- now we find out that he is not...

Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM

311 posts, read 605,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
- YOU already have an atheist President and you want to toss him out..so what are you talking about here? Obama really has no spiritual belief....
Obama is Christian... end of story.

He said that he became Christian and found the religion later in his life. What's hard to believe and accept that? There are plenty of Christians that have Middle Eastern (Islamic) name.

Obama gives awesome Christmas and Easter speeches, and mentions God all the time.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It's not, just like Utah isn't a Mormon state or Manhattan a Jewish City.
Manhattan's Jewish population is between 25 - 30%, which means than 70 - 75% are not Jewish who lives in Manhattan. NYC as a whole is only 12% Jewish.

Rockland County, NY has 30% Jewish - the highest county in the nation.

Utah is just over 50% Mormon.

America as a whole is a Christian nation, not just because the majority of the population are Christians.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It wasn't. Living in a country that is majority xian doesn't make it a nation founded on xian doctrine. The founders of this country were by in large deists. Please point to where jesus name is mentioned in the constitution.
God and Jesus Christ is mentioned several times in the constitution and certain other places.
Such as when they mentioned about the current year after Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
We had a man of God, a born again christian, GW Bush. He got us into two unfunded wars in which 100,000 plus Iraqis died, 7000 Americans, and scores injured and disabled at a cost of trillions of dollars. GW Bush claimed he spoke with God and his presidency crashed the country and killed thousands. I firmly believe we could do far better anyone who had no affiliation with any religion and even no belief in a higher being.

After all the damage GW Bush did I find it hard to believe that republicans selected a mormon. If Bush had no problem killing so many people and calling himself a BAC I can only imagine what a mormon will do with the power of the presidency.
Obama calls himself a Christian, yet rarely goes to church. He's had no problem staying in the wars, even added more. He has allowed 5000 people to be murdered by drones. You can claim to be religious and still be an evil bastard. The vast majority of religious people are kind and hold to their religious values. I'm not sure many of you even care if this is true. You just hate religion, period.

Before going off with how atheists do good things and save lives...bla bla bla... It isn't within the parameters of the following question:

You have to trust a perfect stranger only knowing he/she is either an atheist or religious.

If you were forced to place your life in the hands of a stranger, only having a blind choice between an atheist or a religious person; which would you choose?

I'd choose a religious person, and certainly a Christian, over an atheist in a heart beat. At least a truly religious person is seeking a higher purpose for their lives. Atheists look forward to nothing but nothingness. There's something to say about the benefits of a walk which imparts a higher conscienceness and therefore, a conscience.

Let me also point out that conscience literally means "contrary to science," and anyone with one should always question it, especially bunk-science.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 AM

104 posts, read 138,017 times
In trawling through pages of comments I have yet to find a mention of 'agnosticism'. As I mentioned in a previous post (pages and pages back!) An athiest is convinced there is no God but he can't prove it. A Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu etc is convinced there is a God. An agnostic has yet to be convinced either way and pursues , reads and discusses rationally without the hate which seems to eminate from both sides.
From the Athiest point of view- why even discuss it? He doesn't exist- end of story.
From the religious point of view- why worry about dying? You should thank your murderer and the murderer of your family, (don't carry the protection of a gun) for getting you to the important part early.
From the agnostics point of view- read up, investigate, discuss- see if you can get an answer.

As regards Christian 'founders' of various nations - in the 18 and 19th century Missionaries were everywhere -intent on converting native races, with some success, even here in New Zealand, but now , with education, science based on logic and being confronted with such way out views on such things as evolution not being true, religion is dying and being replaced with philosphy and an inquiring mind.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 AM

56 posts, read 41,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
From the Athiest point of view- why even discuss it? He doesn't exist- end of story.
Because religious beliefs affect everybody! Even atheists!

In America gay marriage, abortion, prostitution, stemmcell research etc. are banned because of religion!
In the middle east and Africa there are several religious wars/conflicts going on, some even involving western troops! Western tourists, journalists, diplomats etc. are being attacked, kidnapped and killed by religious fundamentalists! Millions of Africans are infected with AIDS because their religious leader tells them not to use condoms!

How could we ignore all these things?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
- YOU already have an atheist President and you want to toss him out..so what are you talking about here? Obama really has no spiritual belief...Look a that Reverend Wright- an atheist hiding behind religion - who in part was Obama's mentor...Give me a break- Besides how would you know if someone is truly and atheist or not- For God's sake...everyone thought that Obama was black- now we find out that he is not...
"""""YOU already have an atheist President and you want to toss him out..so what are you talking about here"""""

Then a total flip FLOP!

"""" Besides how would you know if someone is truly and atheist or not- For God's sake..."""

HOW would YOU know???? Do all christians talk out of both sides of their mouths???

Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
In trawling through pages of comments I have yet to find a mention of 'agnosticism'. As I mentioned in a previous post (pages and pages back!) An athiest is convinced there is no God but he can't prove it. A Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu etc is convinced there is a God."""

Right here you forgot to add, "and can't prove it"...slightly biased?????

An agnostic has yet to be convinced either way and pursues , reads and discusses rationally without the hate which seems to eminate from both sides. """

I hate no one.....so you are in error.

"""From the Athiest point of view- why even discuss it? He doesn't exist- end of story.""

Well, here's a big "DUH"..atheists are discussing it.

""From the religious point of view- why worry about dying?"""

Oh, I don't know , they seem plenty worried, they make much out of the "sacredness of life" ...

""You should thank your murderer and the murderer of your family, (don't carry the protection of a gun) for getting you to the important part early.
From the agnostics point of view- read up, investigate, discuss- see if you can get an answer.

As regards Christian 'founders' of various nations - in the 18 and 19th century Missionaries were everywhere -intent on converting native races, with some success, even here in New Zealand, but now , with education, science based on logic and being confronted with such way out views on such things as evolution not being true, religion is dying and being replaced with philosphy and an inquiring mind.
I am an atheist.
I do NOT have to prove a negative.
I hate no one.
I do NOT rape children.
I would NOT protect and hide child rapists.

I do NOT think others should be tortured and murdered if they don't accept my beliefs.

I do not "behave" because I FEAR anything.

I act like a decent human being because that's the way society functions the best and some things are just plain wrong and I don't need guidance from warped minds on what is "correct" behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies