Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Everyone has that right. That is the beauty of living in a free country.

If someone says Catholics are not Christians, I'll tell them I respectfiully disagree, and then I move on. They have a right to have their opinon.
That's right; they do. The problem is that when you say that America should have a Christian President, you run into problems, because it's impossible to define the word "Christian" to everybody's satisfaction. As you know, I'm not even planning to vote for Romney at this point. But should he win the election, I would definitely say that they people of America have none what you say they should and have elected a Christian President.

Quote:
You seem to think mormons are christians...well, I respectfully disagree, and I base my opinon on the fact that many of their beliefs are not founded in the word of God, but in the book of mormon, which is a book written by a man who (IMO) made it all up.
I'm not going to continue to argue, Finn, about whether Mormons are Christians or not. I'm just wondering one thing; this book you are convinced was "written by a man who made it all up"... have you ever actually ever read it from cover to cover? I know you believe that Joseph Smith "made it all up," but do you actually have any objective reason for coming to that conclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Many have made the argument about the 'evolving Bible', but science proved otherwise. When the dead sea scrolls were discovered in the desert, the linguists and historians pored over the details in the scrolls and they compared them to the modern versions of the Bible, and they were amazed to find that books such as book of Daniel were practically identical word for word. It throws out the argument that the Bible has changed beyong recognition over the years. It has not.
Never said "beyond recognition"...but there is NO denying parts have been changed and/or re-interpreted to suit...it's historical fact.

It was still written by human men....and there's no proof to the contrary..

Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Many have made the argument about the 'evolving Bible', but science proved otherwise. When the dead sea scrolls were discovered in the desert, the linguists and historians pored over the details in the scrolls and they compared them to the modern versions of the Bible, and they were amazed to find that books such as book of Daniel were practically identical word for word. It throws out the argument that the Bible has changed beyong recognition over the years. It has not.
As far as I'm concerned, that's just one more piece of evidence that all of what God has revealed over time is not found within the pages of the Bible. You don't reject the Dead Sea Scrolls as being "just made up"? Why not? Much of what they teach is also taught in the Bible, but there is also information in them that is not found in the Bible.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Since when did anyone care about the religion of a President ?
Uh... since any election where anyone other than an evangelical Christian was running.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Never said "beyond recognition"...but there is NO denying parts have been changed and/or re-interpreted to suit...it's historical fact.
That's absolutely correct. Not only have changes been made to the text, the very make-up of the Bible has changed quite radically over the centuries. What was considered canonical in, say, the fifth century is no longer considered to be so. This is not just me making an off-the-wall statement. It is absolutely provable.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, I turned your post around on you so that maybe you might see that the exact same thing could be said about another group.

YOU must have a guilty conscience with all that you read into a simple statement:
"""However, I DO dislike the christians who can't just live and let live."""

EXACTLY like you dislike the "atheists who can't just live and let live".
But the thread isn't about Christians so why was that comment even relevant?
I dislike any group of people that think the only way to exercise their beliefs is to put down others but since the thread is talking about Atheists I didn't see the point in listing every group.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM

311 posts, read 605,887 times
CATHOLICS = CHRISTIANS
MORMONS = CHRISTIANS
OBAMA = CHRISTIAN
ROMNEY = CHRISTIAN

THERE ARE BOTH BAD AND GOOD PEOPLE IN EVERY COUNTRY/CITY/FAITH/NON-FAITH. THERE ARE PLENTY OF TERRIBLE CHRISTIANS, MUSLIMS, JEWS, HINDUS, BUDDHISTS, SIKHS AND ATHEISTS/AGNOSTICS OUT THERE.
AMERICA IS DE-FACTO A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY OF MANY REASONS BUT WITH FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND NO SPECIFIC STATE CHURCH (NO CATHOLIC, ORTHODOX, or PROTESTANT - just plain Christian).

Please stop fighting now everyone and let's start loving and respecting each other, even if we are different and don't share same belief.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Please stop fighting now everyone and let's start loving and respecting each other, even if we are different and don't share same belief.
What a novel approach to life. Sounds kind of "Christian" if you don't mind my saying so.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What a novel approach to life. Sounds kind of "Christian" if you don't mind my saying so.
It also sounds very atheist and Jewish and Muslim and Wiccan and Bhudist, etc......!!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Get real folks.

America has worshipped MAMMON THE GOD OF COMMERCE AND GREED first, last and always.

No other gods stand a chance against HIS acolytes from business schools though the halls of Congress to the great temples in NYC, Bonn, London, Shanghai, Mumbai and all over the rest of the World.

Do you really believe a Christian Mega church is about the Christian God? Those "churches" are about collections not conversions. Mammon rules as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies