Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The conscious can be seared and one can be desensitized and accept all kinds of behavior as the mind dictates. This was done by Hitler who used God as HIS tool to manipulate the masses. Hitler performed all kinds of hideous experiments and operations on people. A madman driven by ego can be very dangerous. They will use all tools to get to their goals.
Right, but as you said, he was a madman. You be a Christian madman, and think God is driving you to do what you're doing and feel fully justified in it. Anyone driven by ego and megalomania can be very dangerous.

One's concience can be just as strong without the fear of some kind of divine retribution. I would argue that that's what really rules a person at the end of the day. While some belief in a higher power may seem to guide a person's thinking absolutely, people will in the end do what they feel right about or what best serves their interests. For good or bad. Whether they believe in God or not. If they didn't, their wouldn't be need for repentance. All people that believe in God would behave perfectly.

Which of course they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you believe this country is a theocracy.

So who should rule it?

The Pope , as the head of the Christian Catholics?

The head of the Mormons?

The Baptists??

Who is this perfect christian person you think will run a perfect country filled with perfect people????

PS: this country has had christian Presidents .....why didn't they make it perfect????
No, I said a Christian country should have a christian leader. You added everything else about theocracy, Mormons and perfection.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times
Better than the Muslim one we have now.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I care, it's hard to be as good as one can be when you irrationally believe that whatever happens is in the hands of an invisible man in the sky. A rational person values life and would likely not casually send citizens into wars and conflict.
You can only ignore "why" for so long.

Believing that which exists (include energy) spontaneously emerged from nothing and for no particular reason is as irrational as believing it always existed for no particular reason.

"We don't need to know why" is hardly rational.

I'll buy three-dimensional reality is a two-dimensional illusion, but the religion of a net zero energy Universe requires a little more faith than I can muster.

I stick with a First Cause.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As individual atheists continue to chip away at decades of tradition through the courts all across America in the name of "separation of church and state" they will become more and more disliked.
I don't dislike atheists, especially those who point out there is supposed to be a separation of church and state. I agree with that 100%. It pissed me off when church leaders were saying they didn't know if Obama was the right man for the presidency because of his stance on gay marriage. Their opposition to gay marriage is a religious one and should have no bearing on political decisions (rant over).

However, I DO dislike the atheists who can't just live and let live. I don't have a problem with you not believe so why do you have a problem with me believing? I wouldn't vote for anyone walking around saying things like "sky fairy" and "invisible wizard".

Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Well, why not? After all, we currently have an idiot for a president.
So why not have an evil idiot as well?

Didn't Germany and Italy try that once?

The results of this thread only proves the immaturity of the general populous here on CD. If doesn't represent the general populous of the US; considering more than half the voters are probably Euro youths and WSOs. Nothing like throwing out an ideological vote for the basement dwellers.

Last edited by steven_h; 06-25-2012 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't dislike atheists, especially those who point out there is supposed to be a separation of church and state. I agree with that 100%. It pissed me off when church leaders were saying they didn't know if Obama was the right man for the presidency because of his stance on gay marriage. Their opposition to gay marriage is a religious one and should have no bearing on political decisions (rant over).

However, I DO dislike the atheists who can't just live and let live. I don't have a problem with you not believe so why do you have a problem with me believing? I wouldn't vote for anyone walking around saying things like "sky fairy" and "invisible wizard".
I've never met an atheist who doesn't do exactly what he rails against. They want to foist their disbelief on everyone "in the name of logic and science." I dislike atheists and super-spirituals equally for their infringement on living and letting live. Humans are born sinners, and one sin they can't seem to avoid is getting into other peoples lives, no matter what the pretense for doing so.

There's absolutely no difference between God and science when either is being used as an excuse to surpress and control people. In the Name of God, or In the Name of Science makes no difference to evil greedy humans. They are both used as means to an end, generally by narcicisstic egomaniacs.

Last edited by steven_h; 06-25-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ehh, I wouldn't trust the government/law to tell me what's right or wrong any more than I'd trust "God". But some people prefer "God" telling them what to do because such instruction can be altered along the way, fitted to their personal values and other beliefs. Can't do that with the law. Checks and balances and aldat.

Now, that I think on it, I wonder if some Christians out there are simply both wanting self-justification and impatient. You can have God give his approval of pretty much anything right on the spot, whereas the law takes a ton of effort and time even to make the smallest change.

Hmmm, better disregard all of that. It's early, and my thoughts are scattered. Adieu
Your right Vic. Who would you trust? A man who gets forgiven despite what he does in the end or a man who gets held accountable in this lifetime.
I don't see how being religious makes one more trust worthy, as it's been proven, they ride on that forgiveness policy pretty hard and long.

I'll be truly shocked this season when Christians vote for a Mormon to avoid the assumed Muslim he's countering. Things are changing, hopefully in a good direction, sometimes were forced to leave the box. lol
It must be a tough ride for those evangelists.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Your right Vic. Who would you trust? A man who gets forgiven despite what he does in the end or a man who gets held accountable in this lifetime.
I don't see how being religious makes one more trust worthy, as it's been proven, they ride on that forgiveness policy pretty hard and long.

I'll be truly shocked this season when Christians vote for a Mormon to avoid the assumed Muslim he's countering. Things are changing, hopefully in a good direction, sometimes were forced to leave the box. lol
It must be a tough ride for those evangelists.
The beauty of being a Christian is ones own personal walk. We've been persecuted throughout history. Don't forget, we were the one's being crucified and fed to the lions. The tough ride starts when this (very short) life is over; for those who thought this was all there is.

We've already come to terms with the fact that we will be persecuted again. It's been prophesied, so why would we not expect it?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

Why not? I vote for people saying 'holy one", " father in heaven and my God blesses and forgives you, in God we pray, God bless America" Not a difference there. Now you know how atheist feel. You'd deal with it, I do, I don't have that choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies