Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Since my comment was about religious marriage, I assume you're equating traditional marriage and religious marriages? My parents have been married 34 years. They're also both atheists. Are you saying that their marriage is somehow religious in nature???
No.

Read my post, where I stated "We did not involve government in this over religious reasons"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You're asking this last question completely backwards. Our country is founded on the principles liberty and freedom - we abridge these liberties and freedoms only when the serve a great public good. The question here is why should government involve itself in banning gay marriage - why should the government discriminate in that manner and deny that liberty to gay couples?
I'm saying that government involved itself in marriage, because men and women make babies, and encouraging and subsidizing the parents to raise the children together is best for the nation. Two gay men cannot make a baby, so there is no need for government to involve itself in trying to encourage them to get married, nor to subsidize them so they stay married.

Society would not bother to force government to involve itself in marriage, if it was only about gay men and lesbian women.

There must be a rational and overriding public need to involve government. The simplistic way to put it, would be that the need to involve government must be to prevent severe detrimental harm to the nation, or to promote great good for the nation.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:07 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Two gay men cannot make a baby, so there is no need for government to involve itself in trying to encourage them to get married, nor to subsidize them so they stay married.
My wife cannot make a baby, and I'm planning to do the old snip-snip myself soon. You suggesting our marriage ought be invalidated?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
No.

Read my post, where I stated "We did not involve government in this over religious reasons"

I'm saying that government involved itself in marriage, because men and women make babies, and encouraging and subsidizing the parents to raise the children together is best for the nation. Two gay men cannot make a baby, so there is no need for government to involve itself in trying to encourage them to get married, nor to subsidize them so they stay married.

Society would not bother to force government to involve itself in marriage, if it was only about gay men and lesbian women.

As has been stated numerous times on this forum, and I'm sure elsewhere, until you start mandating procreation as part-and-parcel of being legally married, the issue child-bearing is a logical non-starter.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:

I'm saying that government involved itself in marriage, because men and women make babies, and encouraging and subsidizing the parents to raise the children together is best for the nation.
Which, until the ability to procreate is a requirement to get a marriage certificate, is completely irrelevant to the subject of homosexuality.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Many homosexual couples are raising children.Either biological, or adopted.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
My wife cannot make a baby, and I'm planning to do the old snip-snip myself soon. You suggesting our marriage ought be invalidated?
No, on that we just rightly assume that men and women make babies, and leave it at that. The married couples who are classified as infertile is very small, and even those who are may have previously had children.

On the other hand. The number of gay male couples who can make a baby together is ZERO, so we rightly assume they will never make a baby together.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Many homosexual couples are raising children.Either biological, or adopted.
So do single people, so what is your point?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
No, on that we just rightly assume that men and women make babies, and leave it at that. The married couples who are classified as infertile is very small, and even those who are may have previously had children.

On the other hand. The number of gay male couples who can make a baby together is ZERO, so we rightly assume they will never make a baby together.
And yet the number of gay-couple led households in the US raising children is in the 6 figures. Should they not at least be entitled to the "benefits and perks" of civil marriage in your scheme?

And I find your rationale pointless and irrelevant. The presence of children, or even the ability to naturally procreate, is not a consideration when it comes to contracting a civil marriage anywhere in the US.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Which, until the ability to procreate is a requirement to get a marriage certificate, is completely irrelevant to the subject of homosexuality.
Specious argument

Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
So do single people, so what is your point?
Single hetero people have the option to get married, and have access to government protections for their family that are not available to same sex couples.

IF the governments only reason for licensing marriage was for raising children, then same sex couples should be allowed to marry too since many of them are raising children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies