Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Exactly.

Many, if not most, opponents of same-sex marriage do not feel disgust for homosexuals as individuals. They may feel disgust at their actions, at their lifestyle insofar as it is based around their sexual preferences (for example, their promiscuity), but them as individuals? No.

Arguments to the contrary are often based on "if you don't let me / him do what I want, you hate me / him!" Even if this restriction is unjust (for example, segregation in the South), it does not necessarily translate into hate for the person against whom the injustice is committed. Whether gays should be able to marry or not is not necessarily a question of whether one hates or loves gays.
Most of us don't base our "lifestyle" around our sexual orientation any more than heterosexuals do.
There are promiscuous heterosexuals too.

Most of our lifestyles are just like anyone's. We go to work, cook clean, shop, play, have children and pets. We go to birthday parties, and BBQs. We laugh when we're happy, and cry when we're sad.

I don't spend my time trying to deny people equal rights, or obsess over how they have sex.
Why do you choose to focus on something that happens behind closed doors, and you are not going to ever see or be a part of?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM

170 posts, read 129,360 times
It is homophobic if you are against gay marriage. Period. That's kind of like saying you're not racist, but in favor of segregation. You're entitled to be homophobic. It is a free country. However, realize that even the sheer fact that you're trying to distance yourself from homophobes indicates that times are changing. It shows how unliked and ridiculed homophobes are in the mainstream.

If you are against gay marriage, you are homophobic. Just fess up to it.

BTW, why do people think homosexuals are promiscuous, but straight people are not? Obviously straight people are promiscuous hence derogatory terms for promiscuous individuals (usually promiscuous straight females). Gay people are like straight people, they come in shapes, sizes, and lifestyles. What is so hard to comprehend?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It ain't NORMAL for men to desire other men sexually.
Define "normal".

Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

It ain't NORMAL for women to desire other women sexually.

It's AB-NORMAL.
So? Live your own life and let others do the same without harassing them.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Most of us don't base our "lifestyle" around our sexual orientation any more than heterosexuals do.
There are promiscuous heterosexuals too.

Most of our lifestyles are just like anyone's. We go to work, cook clean, shop, play, have children and pets. We go to birthday parties, and BBQs. We laugh when we're happy, and cry when we're sad.

I don't spend my time trying to deny people equal rights, or obsess over how they have sex.
Why do you choose to focus on something that happens behind closed doors, and you are not going to ever see or be a part of?
I agree that homosexual and heterosexual lifestyles are much alike. However, you can say there is a "gay lifestyle" which encompasses certain differences.

But none of that has to do with hating gays, which is the point that I am trying to make in the face of pigheaded defiance. I love homosexuals just as I love heterosexuals. For homosexuals that engage in sodomy, I hope they repent of their sins and resolve to live in accordance with the virtue of chastity. That is true love for homosexuals.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
It is homophobic if you are against gay marriage. Period. That's kind of like saying you're not racist, but in favor of segregation. You're entitled to be homophobic. It is a free country. However, realize that even the sheer fact that you're trying to distance yourself from homophobes indicates that times are changing. It shows how unliked and ridiculed homophobes are in the mainstream.

If you are against gay marriage, you are homophobic. Just fess up to it.

BTW, why do people think homosexuals are promiscuous, but straight people are not? Obviously straight people are promiscuous hence derogatory terms for promiscuous individuals (usually promiscuous straight females). Gay people are like straight people, they come in shapes, sizes, and lifestyles. What is so hard to comprehend?
This is obviously an article biased towards the anti-sodomy stance, but the section linked is based on seemingly objective or pro-gay sources:

The Health Risks of Gay Sex

Promiscuity among homosexuals is well known to be greater than homosexuality among heterosexuals. Of course, there are some promiscuous heterosexuals too.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:

It ain't NORMAL for women to desire other women sexually.

It's AB-NORMAL.
I don't care if it's normal or abnormal since there are plenty of sexual acts that heteros do that I don't do myself and personally consider "ab-normal" too. It's not my concern what people do to have an "O", or who they choose to spend their life with.

People who spend time fighting against "homosexual acts" really do have issues. It's not just a matter of "they protest too much" or possibly being gay themselves (although that happens a lot) but actually a voyeuristic, perverted interest in other peoples sexual matters that make them kind of irrational. I can almost see the drool coming out of their mouths when I read the words they type, especially when discussing anal. It's sometimes THAT apparent. I've seen it in the Christian areas when they talk about the "evils" of masurbation too.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
This is obviously an article biased towards the anti-sodomy stance, but the section linked is based on seemingly objective or pro-gay sources:

The Health Risks of Gay Sex

Promiscuity among homosexuals is well known to be greater than homosexuality among heterosexuals. Of course, there are some promiscuous heterosexuals too.
So obviously you are for gay marriage, since once they marry they won't be so promiscuous, right?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So obviously you are for gay marriage, since once they marry they won't be so promiscuous, right?
Yeah, citing gay promiscuity seems like an odd argument against gay marriage. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:51 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
When it comes to changing the definition of an institution that has been one of the pillars of society for centuries, sometimes baby steps are necissary. You can't change the fact older generations and traditionalists and religious people are uncomfortable with such a change. If you want to compare this with the African American civil rights movement, remember that it took over a century to go from slavery to full equal rights nationwide. Now I am not a big fan of comparing gay rights to African American civil rights simply because black is a physical characteristic and gay is mental, but it's the closest comparison we have in modern times. The LGBT movement is progressing much faster due to the media and entertainment industry, an advantage African Americans didn't have, but it's still going to take time.
Leaving the whole "hate" question aside, which as I've said elsewhere I find particularly unhelpful because it is hard to either falsify or verify as it pertains to individuals, why is the argument to incrementalism (baby steps) reasonably valid? How does extending the protections afforded by a civil institution to another class of individuals essentially change the definition of that institution? In 1967, the SCOTUS ruled in favor of Loving v. Virginia, thus invalidating laws prohibiting interracial marriages that were then on the books in 17 states, including VA. This correct interpretation of the Constitution thus granted rights to previously prohibited classes of individuals who were before then left without legal recourse in terms of marriage. Did this change in the legalities surrounding the institution of marriage constitute a change in its definition? And where has it legally been defined, anyway?

The only reason I am rehearsing all of this is to say that what constitutes "traditional" and "nontraditional," "normal" and "abnormal," changes over time, and sometimes such changes happen very rapidly. The argument for gradualism is in and of itself not logically valid--there is no more reason to accept a gradual diminution of rights as there is to accept a gradual expansion of them. The author(s) of the revolutionary Declaration of Independence certainly didn't think so. GLBT people deserve to be fully recognized as citizens and to be granted the same rights that the rest of us can either enjoy or not, and that includes the right to marry their loved ones of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies