Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll tell you something..alt cert teachers who have been in industry and then switch to teaching are looked down upon by career teachers and are treated as less than dirt even though many of them know more than the academia only book learned teachers. The fact that alt cert teachers CAN connect learning with real life because they have 10-20-30 years in industry goes against the "everything works on paper because it's in the books" academia only teachers.
I'm all for alt cert teachers otherwise I wouldn't suggest it. I became a teacher after my one tour in the Army, so teaching isn't the only job I have done. I know teaching requires a high level of content knowledge. But teaching does take more than just the academic knowledge. Good teaching also requires a special talent, one that can be honed but not learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Thumbs up Romney: Chicago Teachers' Union "Turning Its Back" on Kids

[quote]
“I am disappointed by the decision of the Chicago Teachers Union to turn its back on not only a city negotiating in good faith but also the hundreds of thousands of children relying on the city’s public schools to provide them a safe place to receive a strong education. Teachers unions have too often made plain that their interests conflict with those of our children, and today we are seeing one of the clearest examples yet. President Obama has chosen his side in this fight, sending his Vice President last year to assure the nation’s largest teachers union that ‘you should have no doubt about my affection for you and the President’s commitment to you.’ I choose to side with the parents and students depending on public schools to give them the skills to succeed, and my plan for education reform will do exactly that.”

[quote]

Link: The Campaign Spot - National Review Online

Glad to see that ONE of the Presidential candidates has the best interests of schoolkids at heart.

Let's see who Oblama sides with. I'll give you 100:1 odds that it's not the kids but the teacher's union.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,368,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The main one: Money for time.
- a 30 percent pay raise for additional hours at work.

"Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours"

Chicago Teachers Union Demands 30 Percent Pay Raise

IMO, I don't think a student will learn much more by taking in an add'l 2 hours of on site schooling.
There is only so much a brain can absorb in 24 hours.
Not to mention the teacher and the kids need a break from each other

math isnt one of your strong points, eh

Old 09-10-2012, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
Let me spell this out for you since you don't seem to be getting it.

It's not about the teachers, it's about the students
. I can work just fine in uncomfortable situations. However, the students that I teach that have been raised with AC cannot. They grow restless, irritable, drowsy, and lazy. This makes doing my job extremely difficult. Do I wish it didn't make a difference? You bet. Fact is, it does, and it makes student learning that much more difficult.

Let's focus on this. What, in your mind, is failure for a teacher, and how would you measure it?
Both NCLB and RTT define that and it's based on how many kids in your class fail.
Is that fair ? No, I don't think so but that is what the government and school boards are doing.
The kids are not held accountable, the teachers are. Now go into an inner city school where you have a passing rate of 40% regardless of who the teacher is because those teachers don't stay more than 1-2 years. The student body is constant and they constantly fail yet the teachers are held accountable.

The entire education system is broke.

How would I measure a teacher ? Well I would use year to year scores of a class. Let's say class x had 80% passing 7th grade math, 82% passing 8th grade math and then 40% passing Algebra. I'd take a look at that Algebra teacher because that class x is constant.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post

math isnt one of your strong points, eh

Really There are 24 hours in a day - and part of that time is spent sleeping.
Guess what - folks actually are learning in their sleep.

Can you learn while you sleep? - Harvard Health Publications

"A 2010 Harvard study suggested that dreaming may reactivate and reorganize recently learned material, improving memory and boosting performance." .

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Really There are 24 hours in a day - and part of that time is spent sleeping.
Guess what - folks actually are learning in their sleep.

Can you learn while you sleep? - Harvard Health Publications

"A 2010 Harvard study suggested that dreaming may reactivate and reorganize recently learned material, improving memory and boosting performance." .
But it's repetition hours later that move data from short term memory into long term memory.
That repetition is called homework which is now frowned upon by schools, parents and students.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
Please,this country is spoiled in more ways than just one .I went to a school in FL,that had high vaulted ceilings with no AC.I survived just fine, thank you.Todays generation are spoiled brats,if the room has no AC find another line of work .AC is no right.
I grew up in S. Florida and taught my first 10 years there in an unairconditioned school. I, too, survived. However, it's 2012 now, not 1950, '60 or '70 and all who can afford it live in climate controlled environments. Only the very poor do not have a/c in their homes and cars - why in the world would you want your children to sit in schools with heat/humidity so high that no learning is possible?

What's wrong with you people??

Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I grew up in S. Florida and taught my first 10 years there in an unairconditioned school. I, too, survived. However, it's 2012 now, not 1950, '60 or '70 and all who can afford it live in climate controlled environments. Only the very poor do not have a/c in their homes and cars - why in the world would you want your children to sit in schools with heat/humidity so high that no learning is possible?

What's wrong with you people??
Hate to tell you but the US ranked higher in academic subjects years ago when there was no A/C in schools. We are in a slow decline according to international standards and fall lower each year.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
[quote=Trace21230;26028226][quote]
“I am disappointed by the decision of the Chicago Teachers Union to turn its back on not only a city negotiating in good faith but also the hundreds of thousands of children relying on the city’s public schools to provide them a safe place to receive a strong education. Teachers unions have too often made plain that their interests conflict with those of our children, and today we are seeing one of the clearest examples yet. President Obama has chosen his side in this fight, sending his Vice President last year to assure the nation’s largest teachers union that ‘you should have no doubt about my affection for you and the President’s commitment to you.’ I choose to side with the parents and students depending on public schools to give them the skills to succeed, and my plan for education reform will do exactly that.”

Quote:

Link: The Campaign Spot - National Review Online

Glad to see that ONE of the Presidential candidates has the best interests of schoolkids at heart.

Let's see who Oblama sides with. I'll give you 100:1 odds that it's not the kids but the teacher's union.

Jeez...more Romney fluff...nothing substantial. Have you read any of the facts? Don't tell me, I already know the answer.

Quote:
"For the first time in a decade, [students are] getting a very rigorous academic standard," he said. "For the first time, we're getting five new high schools all dedicated to science, technology, engineering and math. Six thousand more kids are going to magnet schools. We're making major changes."

The union wants Emanuel to pay teachers more for what amounts to more work.
Teachers are also pushing back on some reforms that the mayor didn't tout at the DNC.

They want smaller class sizes, more art and music, and job protection when the district shuts down low-performing schools and opens privately run charter schools, which are not typically unionized.

Talk about Wisconsin redux! All of a sudden, teachers are the enemy of the state. All of a sudden, our public schools are worthless and need to be overhauled by CEOs and people who have never taught a day in their lives (except the shock troops of Teach for America, which is to teaching what McDonald's is to food). But many, many so-called liberals have been sucked into this argument, enabling what is little more than an elite union-busting, money-making operation.
Quote:
America is not "falling behind" in math and science in the rich districts. Only the poor ones. One might think there's a message in there, but it doesn't fit the corporate schools agenda.
Chicago Teachers Union On Strike For First Time in 25 Years | Crooks and Liars

There are links within the link, but you will not read any of it anyway.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,222 times
Tomorrow, Flip-Flop Romney will say he supports the teachers' unions 100%, and will take credit for the strike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies