Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No I'm not debating it but saying it's necessary for learning is just as bogus.
Having A/C doesn't factor into education levels attained.

It's a nice convenience but is not the cause of falling scores.
I never said lack of a/c is the cause of falling standardized test scores. That was YOUR illogical spin on my comment that heat/humidity CAN get so bad in many parts of the US that effective learning is just not possible for most students, who, in 2012, live most of their lives in climate contolled environments.

How about heat? Is that also a "nice convenience?"

Last edited by ray1945; 09-10-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times
I wonder when the Liberals, Unions, and school kids will begin painting Hitler mustaches on Rahm's face on protest signs while they protest against this obvious evil union-busting politician?

Maybe they'll even force a recall election?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
From your first post, I will read the rest later.

I am guessing this hatred towards the teachers on this thread is a bit misguided.

It makes sense to want to keep good teachers even if the school they teach at is closed down, also testing alone is not a great way to evaluate a student's growth.

jt, did you read your own links or did you just read the headlines. If you like I can highlight them later for you when I have more time, this is all from the first link.
According to these geniuses, higher pay means better teachers. Then how come education costs are through the roof, but education results are worse?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What baloney.

The people who signed the other side of the union contracts, then left office with fat pensions of their own, and aren't sharing in the consequences at all.
I have to assume you were joking here. You were, weren't you?
Unfortunately, you're often correct about the bolded part.

I shouild have more accurately stated they all created the consequences, even though many escape the responsibility. It's no different in industry where management signs contracts knowing full well they'll be happily sipping martinis, cashing their pension checks while the contracts they signed cripple their former employers. In other words, blaming only unions is conveniently overlooking at least half of the root cause of the problem.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
This is laughable. Here in New England many of the older schools have NO A/C. Students have gone to school for decades in schools with no A/C. People lived for centuries in warm climates with no A/C. And now, Chicago teachers want to complain about the lack of A/C in their schools?

This is pathetic.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
apples to bowling balls.
taxpayers are forced at gunpoint to pay teacher salaries, CEO's like athletes, are paid by the dollars of a willing consumer.
Taxpayers are forced to pay teacher salaries regardless of what they are. It's those who set those salries who create the problems (get a clue, it's not ONLY the union that does so).

Apples to bowling balls?

EXACTLY what your CEOs to athletes comparison is.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
This is laughable. Here in New England many of the older schools have NO A/C. Students have gone to school for decades in schools with no A/C. People lived for centuries in warm climates with no A/C. And now, Chicago teachers want to complain about the lack of A/C in their schools?

This is pathetic.
Have you been to Chicago in September? It's pretty damn hot and humid there. People are not used to being in hot, non-air conditioned buildings anymore. It's just not accepted anymore.

Maybe since schools were segregated for 100 years we should go back to that too?

Sometimes I wonder what planet some of you people are from

Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I wonder when the Liberals, Unions, and school kids will begin painting Hitler mustaches on Rahm's face on protest signs while they protest against this obvious evil union-busting politician?

Maybe they'll even force a recall election?
Now jt800, you just stop that! You know perfectly well your dry wit and scathing sarcasm is completely lost on these Libturds here at CD with their Kool Aid IV's.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Let's see. Murder capitol of the U.S. Out of control public union. Yeah, that's Chicago values Rahm. Rahm? Oh, Rahm? Oh, I forgot. At the moment, you are off with your Chicago values to raise money for another Chicago values politician.
After dropping your kids off at their private $25K a year school.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
This isn't just about teachers' unions, the right cheers when CEOs and their ilk grab as much $$$ as they can, often while their companies performance don't justify it yet vilify unions for doing the same.

As I've said, it takes at keast TWO parfties to make a contract, blaming only one when things go awry is hypocritical BS.
Public versus private. Wouldn't expect a progressive to know the difference, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies