Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
My wife was a teacher when me married. She taught for a couple years then went part-time when we had kids. She worked enough to maintain her licensure.

She was asked to assist in East Palo Alto in the early 90's on a literacy project. It's her "cause". I'm proud of her for that. Her position was that the Mexican children (in the 80's they were all Mexican after Reagan's amnesty) should be segregated and immersed in English for at least a year to ensure they were fluent in English before turning them loose into a regular classroom. Once they get behind its difficult for them to catch up; the cycle repeats and society pays. The parents of these kids wanted the same thing that any parent wants for their kid. It was the system that worked against them in that instance.

Liberal teachers didn't like that idea. It was racist.

EPA????
That place used to be a war zone!!!!I dated a Black girl from there in the 80's. Only way I made it out alive!!!!
As for the OP...Call out the Ill NG and force the them back to work at bayonet point!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What's wrong with the optics?

Oooops, never mind.
Looks like Meechele needs to impliment the same lunch standards of one vegetable and one fruit for lunch on the teachers there in Chicago.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Using business-speak to describe the process of educating human children is part/parcel of what is destroying the American education system.
How so?

Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Simple Romney solution would be outsource the teaching jobs to China. That method of running things has always worked for him.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
How many of the rest of us only work 5.5 hours a day now, for a full day's pay?
Repeating an ignorant post doesn't make it any more true.

A teacher's work day is somewhere around 7.5 hours in a school building. Any decent teacher has to put in a lot more hours once the work day is done.

I was a teacher for 37 years, my children are now teachers. All of us work(ed) after school, at night, and on weekends - donated hours of work without which no school system would survive.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Do you even know the difference between outsourcing and offshoring? I don't think so but hardly a surprise.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Irony alert: liberal social policies and the breakdown of the family lead to students and conditions that liberal teachers complain about.
Yep. Why can't they figure that out themselves?

Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They want them to work an extra 90 minutes a day. Any of you interested in working an extra 1 1/2 hours a day for free?
Many of us do. It's called a salary. We work until the job/project/whatever is completed. We're not paid by the hour.

414 posts, read 1,020,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I saw that one of the demands is for better air conditioning in schools....? Now, I know there are more substantive issues, but really union folks - to even allow the demand of better air conditioning to get out there as one of your points for striking really puts a bad light on the CTU.

I also heard that the CTU continues to demand no more charter schools. Why are union leaders against choice so much?

And many working people work FAR more than 8 hours per day and get paid through salary for it.
I did my student teaching in a school with no air conditioning in central Illinois. It may seem like a frivolous concern, but try teaching when the temperature in the classroom is 90+ degrees. Better yet, try getting students to want to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They want them to work an extra 90 minutes a day. Any of you interested in working an extra 1 1/2 hours a day for free? But yes, the amount of a raise they are asking for is ridiculous, even if it wasn't tough economic times.
Yeah the argument over the raise is ridiculous. In central Illinois I'd be making about $30k starting out and would be happy with that.

The real issue is having salary and job security tied to performance. While teachers do make a huge difference on student performance (that is why they're there, after all), students are another significant part of that equation. Teachers would be getting punished because students are coming from homes where good performance in school isn't a big deal and they don't give a crap about standardized tests. Yes, there needs to be accountability, but right now that word just means standardized test scores, which is unacceptable.

I'm 50/50 on the strike. Yes, there are quite a few legitimate concerns. However, given the economy and working situation around the world, it's hard to not tell them to suck it up until overall conditions improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Repeating an ignorant post doesn't make it any more true.

A teacher's work day is somewhere around 7.5 hours in a school building. Any decent teacher has to put in a lot more hours once the work day is done.

I was a teacher for 37 years, my children are now teachers. All of us work(ed) after school, at night, and on weekends - donated hours of work without which no school system would survive.
What is your point? If you didn't like your job, aren't happy with the pay or the hours, go get another one. That is what most do. They don't stand around on the streets screaming for ridiculous raises. If I ever did that at my job I would have been fired like they should all be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies