Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times

Advertisements

The whole idea of valuing peoples' lives, opinions -- their very worth as human beings -- according to quantifiable measures of intelligence ought to be abhorrent to any true liberal.

After all, progressives are the ones who not only decry the over-reliance on SAT scores for college admissions, and identify the fatal flaw in No Child Left Behind and other attempts at educational reform as "teaching to the test...", but are highly suspicious of any but the most holistic measures of student potential and achievement.

This thread appears to be a classic case of liberals wanting to have their psychometric cake and eat it, too. Bottom line: every person has his or her inherent value, and the potential to achieve happiness and fulfillment. Having exeprienced life both in academe and among the working classes, I would argue that formally-defined intelligence in general makes for more cynicism, unhappiness, and potential for mischief and plain evil-doing than just about any other factor.

As Carl Sandburg put it.....

HAPPINESS

I ASKED the professors who teach the meaning of life to tell
me what is happiness.
And I went to famous executives who boss the work of
thousands of men.
They all shook their heads and gave me a smile as though
I was trying to fool with them
And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along
the Desplaines river
And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with
their women and children and a keg of beer and an
accordion

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Education and affluence breeds liberalism on social issues which then define the rest of your politics.

When 80+% of college freshmen who are religious become athest/agnostic/irreligious and liberal by college graduation that says something about the indoctrination going on at our universities. I will admit liberals generally have more book smarts and their idealism sounds great, but they lack common sense about the nature of humans and how what looks good on paper might work well in a perfect world but when put into practice is nearly always a colossal failure.
Examples?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The ghetto Liberal hood rat is just as ignorant as the blue collar Southern man that continues to vote Republican while they are the ones sending their jobs to China.

Now I have to say, I can't think of many Conservative people out there who are highly intelligent- I think Mark Levin is a very smart Conservative but he was still brainwashed with some of this Republican partisan crap.

Some of the most important Republican/Conservative spokespeople don't even have college degrees: Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. Why should I listen to someone who is not even educated?
You won't listen to me and I have two degrees, BS and MS, along with over 75 hours mostly history and government because I took those classes to further my knowledge to teach kids with. Your statement about who you will listen to and who not makes no sense except to other libs.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Huh?

They heavily recruit from universities and their employees are OVERWHELMINGLY liberal. I'm not really sure what you are trying to imply here.

For the most part, they recruit from the highest achievers at liberal universities, not from seminaries and places like Liberty college...
I think that you will have to prove what you say here or eat the whole thing. Surely you have some good proof of what you say about who those people hire.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then why are most welfare folks Democrats ?
Probably because people from the lower economic classes, many there from no fault of their own, need society to help them out in some legitimate way. Republicans and far-right-wingers, ironically against their own touted Christian stand, would throw people in need under the bus. You know, the ones who are at the bottom of the 47% who don't pay as much taxes because they don't happen to hold high paying jobs, the people who have lost jobs and are scrambling to survive, and the legitimately disabled and the elderly.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Some of the most important Republican/Conservative spokespeople don't even have college degrees: Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. Why should I listen to someone who is not even educated?
They don't believe in education. The far right wing Christians don't believe in science and have little use for the humanities. They want to deregulate everything (free country and all that), don't care about others in legitimate need, could care less about our environment (polar caps? what polar caps? what toxins in the water, wink wink), and could care less about the arts and funding socially conscious programs. They are against public television and public radio, so that ells you a lot about how educated they are. It's kind of a "me and mine" world.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Did we really need a study to show what most people already know?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yet another example of why liberals are smarter than conservatives. Yeah I suppose the earth is flat and the holocaust never happened either. This is why no one with any brains wonders why places like Mississippi test at the bottom of the scale.
Once again attack instead of defend. So are you saying that scientists were not caught sending emails back and forth as to why their global warming theory was incorrect?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Probably because people from the lower economic classes, many there from no fault of their own, need society to help them out in some legitimate way. Republicans and far-right-wingers, ironically against their own touted Christian stand, would throw people in need under the bus. You know, the ones who are at the bottom of the 47% who don't pay as much taxes because they don't happen to hold high paying jobs, the people who have lost jobs and are scrambling to survive, and the legitimately disabled and the elderly.
Please show me where one republican politician has ever said they would not help out someone in need. I know plenty that say there should be limits to the help, but I have yet to ever see one politician in either party say they will not help someone get a hand up.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times
Quote:
The ghetto Liberal hood rat is just as ignorant as the blue collar Southern man that continues to vote Republican while they are the ones sending their jobs to China....
Uh, Republican political ideology and its dominance in the South has lead to a ton of jobs, including a ton of INSOURCED manufacturing jobs - foreign companies have been courted hear to set up shop and provide good jobs. An entire new auto industry has been created. Airbus recently announced it will be building its first US plant in Alabama. See, globalization is a two-way road. However, we have to be business friendly for companies to come here. If you choke-collar them with overregulation and greedy unions, they will just go to Monterrey, NL or other places in Mexico if they want to be closer to our market. Perhaps those voting Republican see these jobs coming here and see the Southern cities that have exploded with growth and that's why they make their choice. Ever think of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies