Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You forgot to add one thing from that article:

All eight local generators they use to produce power are not working.

You do understand what the word local means, right?

What I posted is correct.....
Nope. Still not correct. You stated "I thank my lucky stars I'm in Texas where we have our own power grid totally independent of the rest of America....." That is simply not true.

1) El Paso Electric buys (solar) power from NEW MEXICO whether those generators are working or not
2) El Paso Electric also buys (nuclear) power from ARIZONA whether those generators are working or not

Electricity for West Texas and Southern New Mexico | El Paso Electric | Map of El Paso Electric Transmission Lines in Arizona

And, rolling black-outs are quite common in areas supplied by El Paso Electric. I know, I received service from them for four years.

Here's a recent example. Note that the reason for the blackouts was a fire in ARIZONA.

"Teresa Souza, spokeswoman for El Paso Electric, said Saturday the fire is five percent contained and had not progressed any closer to the company's Springerville, Ariz. transmission lines, which carry almost 40 percent of the El Paso region's power from the Palo Verde nuclear plant west of Phoenix."

Update: Arizona fire 15 miles from El Paso Electric line, rolling blackout threat remains - El Paso Times

Not gonna beat this horse any longer, just suffice it to say that Texas is not as independent as some may want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
America cannot afford a space program any longer, it would be a better venture for private investors.
Spaceport America | Your Invitation to Space

Spaceport America Runway Dedication - SpacePod 2010.10.26 - YouTube
America cannot afford a Obama care any longer, it would be a better venture for private investors. I agree

Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Kiss your life as you know it goodbye if Texas ever seceded.

Petroleum Based Products: A Long List: Save and Conserve
In the immortal words of the Queen Bee of Conservatives: "Of course, it’s a fungible commodity and they don’t flag, you know, the molecules, where it’s going and where it’s not." Oil is a commodity. Unless the Texans plan to eat it out of spite or something, I can't always decode them very well.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
With the stipulation that we get Austin (the only part of Texas worth anything) I'd be all for it. Hell, I'll go dig the moat along the state line myself.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
America cannot afford a space program any longer, it would be a better venture for private investors.
Bah, Virgin is hyped suborbital joyrides for bored multimillionaires.

And America's space program is the best in the world. We're between manned platforms (that has happened before), but the unmanned ventures - landing a 1-ton freakin' vehicle on Mars? - are unparalleled.

And if there was a sudden national-emergency requirement for manned LEO capacity, SpaceX's Dragon - while technically not man-rated yet - now has 3 perfectly successful orbital flights, including 2 dockings with the ISS, under its belt. A crew would have been perfectly comfortable. Sure, it currently lacks abort capability - but then again, the Shuttle was designed without that, yet the risk was deemed acceptable. I have no doubt that the Astronaut Corps would deliver volunteers if asked.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Some folks can't tolerate a "darkie" in the WhiteHouse. They're used to white men living there.

Sorry, had to be said.
welp. that must be tuff for you.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Bah, Virgin is hyped suborbital joyrides for bored multimillionaires.

And America's space program is the best in the world. We're between manned platforms (that has happened before), but the unmanned ventures - landing a 1-ton freakin' vehicle on Mars? - are unparalleled.

And if there was a sudden national-emergency requirement for manned LEO capacity, SpaceX's Dragon - while technically not man-rated yet - now has 3 perfectly successful orbital flights, including 2 dockings with the ISS, under its belt. A crew would have been perfectly comfortable. Sure, it currently lacks abort capability - but then again, the Shuttle was designed without that, yet the risk was deemed acceptable. I have no doubt that the Astronaut Corps would deliver volunteers if asked.
The fact remains that regardless of who Virgin Galactic is marketing to, the R & D gets paid for and the technology is then available to a wider market.
The only sensible solution is a public-private partnership of the type we are already seeing with NASA and SpaceX.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Nope. Still not correct. You stated "I thank my lucky stars I'm in Texas where we have our own power grid totally independent of the rest of America....." That is simply not true.

1) El Paso Electric buys (solar) power from NEW MEXICO whether those generators are working or not
2) El Paso Electric also buys (nuclear) power from ARIZONA whether those generators are working or not

Electricity for West Texas and Southern New Mexico | El Paso Electric | Map of El Paso Electric Transmission Lines in Arizona

And, rolling black-outs are quite common in areas supplied by El Paso Electric. I know, I received service from them for four years.

Here's a recent example. Note that the reason for the blackouts was a fire in ARIZONA.

"Teresa Souza, spokeswoman for El Paso Electric, said Saturday the fire is five percent contained and had not progressed any closer to the company's Springerville, Ariz. transmission lines, which carry almost 40 percent of the El Paso region's power from the Palo Verde nuclear plant west of Phoenix."

Update: Arizona fire 15 miles from El Paso Electric line, rolling blackout threat remains - El Paso Times

Not gonna beat this horse any longer, just suffice it to say that Texas is not as independent as some may want to believe.
El Paso is an example of an ultra-liberal area of Texas. Of course El Paso is not independent, it's got some of the most government dependent types of voters you could ever hope to find. El Paso is certainly not where you're going to find very much of that rugged individualism you might find in other parts of Texas.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
In one word ...... no.

Bur it is possible that a movement will emerge among the more simplistic in both the Red and Blue camps, calling for a Czech/Slovak style "friendly divorce". Regardless of our personal political leanings, that would be a bitter ending to pluralism's greatest success -- no enthusiasm here.

Better to let the malcontents try to eat the seed corn, thereby fortifying their lesson.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-09-2012 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM

376 posts, read 295,794 times
Whats with all the Texas haters out there? We all know there's only two kinds of people: those from Texas, and those that wish they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies