Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,577,626 times

Advertisements

I did not have to try hard. The reason is that the bad guys, including a government gone bad will not give up or do own assault rifles. Your pistol is no match for assault rifles bearing down on you. I shudder to think of a ban. My colt 45 semi automatic will be no match for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,494,390 times
^^^ THINKING is much tougher for some than others though....but everyone can feel and mistake feelings for thinking...usually until age 7-8 though when they learn to understand logic.

...Some never learn.

You can't argue with emotions...they feel what they choose to feel and try and twist logic out of it...that's why they won't go toe to toe on a subject....They circle around, change topics, throw out every what-if they can conjur, call names and then start over and accuse YOU of doing everything they just did....it's endless...but amusing to see an adult do it!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,621,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Your pistol is no match for assault rifles bearing down on you. I shudder to think of a ban. My colt 45 semi automatic will be no match for them.
Your Colt 45 has more stopping power than an AR-15, and can fire just as rapidly, dependent only on the skill of the person using them.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,965,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
There were no armed people at the 'no gun zone' other than the assailant. That WAS the problem.

Someone asked on another post: Would you give up your semi auto if it saved 1 kids life?

To better answer the question, I will ask this question:
If the armed assailant shot one child before being nailed by a heavily armed defender, whose action thus saving 20 or more children, would you say it was worth saving the 20 children for the defender to be heavily armed?
OR WOULD YOU CONDEMN THEM ALL TO DIE?

"Scary" guns are not the problem.
"Scary" people are.
"Scary" people, i.e., predators, will kill and injure, with or without firearms.
"Scary" individuals are deterred when confronted by an armed target.
You and the NRA have the same response, more guns.! This is looney talk. More guns just contribute to more gun violence. I do not care what screwed numbers you guys lay awake at night thinking how you can justify your agenda.Its always some wild west gun sling thing that we thought we had got rid of long age, and for good reason. Guns were stopped at the barroom door, guns were stopped in restaurants, social gatherings...any place where it would be easier, in the heat of a moment, to pull your pistol and start firing. Then came the lawless period during, before, and followed by the Great depression. It was quite obvious fire power ruled the day, starting with the Tommy gun. So much of this has been glorified, exciting, robin Hood types against the evil world on and on. I do not recall any talk about the Second Amendment, only that guns meant control over anyone who did not show a gun on their body.Many times those who did have a gun were the first target from security guards, policemen, and just plain citizens.
It is true Guns can give you the upper hand, the power to control and the way to get money, like holding up a bank and or a pawn shop, etc, anywhere there was money. Its all about intimidation on a real scary way.( You would know if you ever were held up at the point of a gun). Most of us do not face this, even in the old days, there still was more people without guns who never came in contact with the bad guys.... My Grandmother used to tell us kids about the time she met Clyde Barrow.sitting in her car behind the bank while my Grandfather was shopping. Clyde walked right up, tipped his hat with a smile, then proceeded to rob the bank. She saw it all in real time. We never had a gun in our family other than a 22 for varmint hunting. Should my Grandmother have pulled out her firearm and plugged Clyde ? I am glad that did not play out that way, one reason, I would never have been born !

Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Your Colt 45 has more stopping power than an AR-15, and can fire just as rapidly, dependent only on the skill of the person using them.
This example is one thing I think we agree on, better informed public about guns, all kinds of guns, it might help us draft better gun control laws.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,494,390 times
^^^^^ RANGE is the critical drawback!

As for the argument that guns can't stop criminals...let's just take guns away from the police and everyone's security details too! SEE what happens!

...Somebody reads too many dime novels....and BELIEVES them!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:14 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,454 times
Default No true law abiding citizen would want to own an assualt weapon Reply to Thread

Quote:
Then explain why countries with strict gun control laws have such lower murder rates than the US?
Can you explain why Switzerland, a country that requires all able bodied men, to keep a firearm in their home, has almost no crime? Your logic doesn't hold up, that is because you know nothing of what you speak. Cars kill more people every year than firearms do, with your logic, we need to outlaw cars...

Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the biggest seller of illegal firearms in the USA is the federal goverment. I wonder why people dont want to limit their ability to sell firearms and magazines?
I think most people are against any Government contribution to more firepower.I have little doubt that there IS a connection between the NRA, Gun Mfgs. , and the Government, both within the Country , but more outside, as what we have seen along the Mexican Boarder and also used to fund overthrows of Governments. Often these plans backfire as it was in Afghanistan ... and yes pun intended !

Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,454 times
Default No true law abiding citizen would want to own an assualt weapon Reply to Thread

Quote:
Lanza's mother had the same mindset like you.
At least she had a mind to set...

Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Can you explain why Switzerland, a country that requires all able bodied men, to keep a firearm in their home, has almost no crime? Your logic doesn't hold up, that is because you know nothing of what you speak. Cars kill more people every year than firearms do, with your logic, we need to outlaw cars...
Come on now, you cherry pick the answer . Most of Europe has less murderous crime at the hand of a gun than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies