Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
Why would someone own a military-style rifle? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
What's going to be really funny is when NBC's lawyers challenge the constitutionality of the law banning possession of extended magazines...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no, actually I am happy most days. I just realize that I for one as a single person cannot change what the goverment is trying to do, and that is destory itself. I shall just be waiting for SHTF and when it does i wil weather it out. unlike the millions of people in the USA that will not be able to.
Some would say we are already at that turning point, have been for years already.I like you am not so optimistic from what I see ether. Note; Just went to see the Movie Lincoln over Christmas. The political manoeuvrings, the corruption, etc, was very up to date, and that was 1865 ! ( I actually do not know how far or close the movie was to Doris Kern s Goodwin's book but you could see the same reflections as whats going on in DC today ).

Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What's going to be really funny is when NBC's lawyers challenge the constitutionality of the law banning possession of extended magazines...
Never going to happen !

Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
What CNN, and the anti-gun crazies, seem to forget is that there are over 40 million Americans with military training who are now civilians.

Quote:
"Personally I don't know how any ordinary citizen can justify owning an automatic or semiautomatic gun," writes CNN commenter Mark Smerkanich. "Can't we leave those guns to the trained military?"
We are the trained military.

In some cases, an AR-15/M-16 is the only firearm they have ever known. They have no clue how to break down a bolt action .3006 rifle, but can break down an AR-15/M-16 blindfolded in a minute flat.

There are also advantages to an AR-15/AK-47 style weapon that most other firearms do not possess. For example, they can be chambered for different size ammunition. If I want to go plinking, I can get an AR-15 chambered for .22 LR. If I want to take the same rifle hunting, I can get an AR-15 chambered for a .308. If I want to take the same rifle for protection, I can get an AR-15 chambered for a 12-gauge or even chambered for a bolt-action .50 BMG. You can do the same thing with Remington or Winchester, but you would need three or four different rifles.

Furthermore, rifles with synthetic stocks are lighter, easier to carry and less prone to damage than rifles with wood stocks. The AR-15/M-16, chambered for 5.56mm, weighs only 7.5 pounds.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
What CNN, and the anti-gun crazies, seem to forget is that there are over 40 million Americans with military training who are now civilians.

We are the trained military.

In some cases, an AR-15/M-16 is the only firearm they have ever known. They have no clue how to break down a bolt action .3006 rifle, but can break down an AR-15/M-16 blindfolded in a minute flat.

There are also advantages to an AR-15/AK-47 style weapon that most other firearms do not possess. For example, they can be chambered for different size ammunition. If I want to go plinking, I can get an AR-15 chambered for .22 LR. If I want to take the same rifle hunting, I can get an AR-15 chambered for a .308. If I want to take the same rifle for protection, I can get an AR-15 chambered for a 12-gauge or even chambered for a bolt-action .50 BMG. You can do the same thing with Remington or Winchester, but you would need three or four different rifles.

Furthermore, rifles with synthetic stocks are lighter, easier to carry and less prone to damage than rifles with wood stocks. The AR-15/M-16, chambered for 5.56mm, weighs only 7.5 pounds.
From my limited experience, years ago when I owned a Bushmaster, it seemed to me the real plus was sticking with the .223 as the Gun was intended. Easy to carry, little recoil,quite accurate at mid range,light, just all around fun to shoot. I guess the current crop of mass killers think the same way, as its become the weapon of choice, sadly to say.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
Quote:
What NBC did was to inform the public using a physical aid. ( Not intended for use, used as a prop)

So by YOUR logic if they had fired into a crows with a 30 round clip and then with a 5 round clip to show the difference that would be okay too since it was just a demonstration?

....See, I know how you lefties build your arguments...I can do it too, but feel so childish in doing so....too bad you didn't as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing...

Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
So by YOUR logic if they had fired into a crows with a 30 round clip and then with a 5 round clip to show the difference that would be okay too since it was just a demonstration?

....See, I know how you lefties build your arguments...I can do it too, but feel so childish in doing so....too bad you didn't as well.
No, you Righties are always looking for a reason to justify about everything that bodes well towards your favor, on gun control, which you do not want to see happen anyway, under any condition.Its just like any current legislation before the house and senate...no matter what is put out there as a compromise ( even your own ideas) , the final vote among the group, is to obstruct as much as can be , and , just say NO !
Your " demonstration " idea is silly. I never heard of any media wanting to fire into a crows with a 30 round clip or a 5 round clip. Shooting at crows ? They can be a pain sometimes, but Crow pie ?
Seriously, first a clip needs to have ammo in it, for there to be any " intent". There is no Judge in the land that would take on such a case as you describe. They would tell the county/state prosecutor to stop wasting the peoples money just to build an awareness for political reasons.
Actually there was a YouTube vid floating around last week, where a Guy was at a range with 20-30 different weapons.m Ih fired them all in real time. It was entertaining. No biased, no options, just a demo for all to see.Unless you are impressed by big firepower and the resulting recoil, my guess most who saw that demo. would have picked the Bushey as the gun of choice, for the job at hand.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:27 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
^^^ What you fail to realize is that the LAW in D.C. says it's ILLEGAL to POSSESS....it doesn't have an INTENT clause in it!

LOL....but I'll tell you what, Make all the bans you WANT....subject to INTENT.....Fair enough? So I can own and carry my guns everywhere as long as my INTENT is good!

OR you could just ban Felons from owning guns...oh, wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies