Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Darstar you constantly IMAGINE these scenarios so you can argue against them...you can never show PROOF that these scenarios EVER actually happened!
Of course you don't like my links and won't open them....most are links to actual news articles, studies and facts that BACK Up what I'm saying!

....yet you claim I'M the one with no facts......epic fail!
Ok if that is so, then show me where no one on the no fly list has ever gotten a gun permit, in the US. I will open that link right or wrong , just the facts man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
We are on the same side of the fence, but i still don't know what you are talking about.

I am working out details and have over that past month to buy a AR-15 or more likely an Ar-10.

There are so many choices on each and every part, and so many different round now that the decision has become a mind boggling task. None of what I am after qualifies as 'Assault Rifle' since i don't have 15,000+ to spend.

However any of them have more stopping power than my .45, no matter which one i happen to have.

Of those I mostly carry a Govt model made in later WW-2, I have another after market that cost more is lighter materials, and has a shorter barrel.

The last is a poly frame and is used working where I will sweat a lot or I will be in snow or rain...

So far as i would know most criminal assault distance varies widely, and this makes it quite impossible for me to say what any self defense distance might be.

In my personal case that distance was less than 15 feet, as the bad guy was closing... I was standing in my doorway, and limited by the wire to my phone.

Also I am not one of the 'they' who are "prattling on about "assault weapons".

I am just not clear on what it is you are working up to yet.
We can only wonder why, now, you are wanting a AR-15 or Bushmaster. ? When I had one 30 years ago, no one wanted them, they were reasonably cheap. I picked that weapon of choice because if the fasct it was .223 first . Looked mean second or even third, as they were very easy to shoot, very fast. The way I saw it the .223 was a natural step up from my old .22 single action rifle.( I am not talking about the Bushmaster now). You did not have to be a sharp shooter to use them ether. Long range along with when in the woods hunting squirrels small tree branches would not deflect them.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am beginning to have second thoughts concerning the clarion call by the anti-gun fanatics for a ban on firearms. In part I see it as a good thing. Not that actually banning any firearm is a good thing, but every time the anti-gun fanatics call for a ban on firearms, firearm sales shoot through the roof. For example, Brownell sold more high capacity magazines in the last three days than they have sold in the last three years.

We also know that there will be no new federal law concerning firearms coming out of the completely grid-locked Congress. So these anti-gun fanatics are a boon to the firearms industry. At least that is one US industry that we know will continue to flourish.

NOTE: I know many "lefties" who are just as staunchly supportive of the individual right to own firearms as you or I. I also know a few "righties" that do not support the individual right to own firearms, like Romney and Giuliani. The support or opposition to the Second Amendment is not a partisan issue, it crosses both party boundaries.
You will have a hard time making those thoughts stick, especially in the minds of the one policy is all that counts, as is one Political party. !

Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
Quote:
. Ok if that is so, then show me where no one on the no fly list has ever gotten a gun permit, in the US. I will open that link right or wrong , just the facts man.
Um lol.....this is YOUR imagined scenario and you want ME to prove it never happened? YOU prove it HAS!

I'll tell you what...if I ever claim something HAS happened, ill prove it okay? You do the same!

Don't you get tired of being childish?

Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So it's OK to break the law if you have good intentions?
laws are not to be breached just because you can get away with it. Good Intentions?, the road to hell is paved with good Intentions , that does not make it legal. However , if the greater good was accomplished ( education ) again ...collective intentions, you would find getting a Judge to think otherwise hard to find.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
^^^^^ So, you're FOR capital punishment then since it serves the greater good!

Oh, and since gun are used to prevent more crime than are used by criminals FOR crime, private ownership also serves the greater good!......glad we could finally agree!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Um lol.....this is YOUR imagined scenario and you want ME to prove it never happened? YOU prove it HAS!

I'll tell you what...if I ever claim something HAS happened, ill prove it okay? You do the same!

Don't you get tired of being childish?
What this debate is all about is not that the No Fly Then Buy could not happen , but that it could. Has it happened? I do not know, but nether do you. The point being that under current law a person could be put on the no fly list without being a conflicted felon...hence then this person could get a gun permit to purchase a gun but could not fly on a commercial airplane.People are put on the No Fly list , not only US citizens, but anyone thats felt to be some sort of risk. In general, I see this as a loop hole, that COULD happen. It is expected Congressman Jim Moran, 8th district of Va. will introduce such legislation in the upcoming session after the first of the year.
I can see no reason such should not pass. You right wing gun toters are suggesting we need better checking on possible felons, crazy's and others of interest as a part of keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people. You may disagree, most likely do, am I right, less regulations , more guns are the answer ? I think its a twofold approach, or should be anyway. We need to do what we can to protect our people from these violent nuts,!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
^^^^^ So, you're FOR capital punishment then since it serves the greater good!

Oh, and since gun are used to prevent more crime than are used by criminals FOR crime, private ownership also serves the greater good!......glad we could finally agree!
Wait a min. where did Capital Punishment enter into this conversation ? The greater good needs to be carefully applied. Thats what we have the Judicial for . I said nothing about private ownership ether way. Don't put words in my mouth, just because its your agenda.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Further thought, tells me that this issue about gun control will always be on the hot plate of Politics. It all starts with rights and with privileges. If your interpretation of the Second Amendment is final, no exceptions , when it comes to the right to carry a gun well we will always have a disagreement. I think, like driving a car ( a real huge killer of our people) that gun ownership is a privilege, or should be anyway. Maybe there was a time in our history when this was not so, today we have way too many people for your theory to work .

Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Further thought, tells me that this issue about gun control will always be on the hot plate of Politics. It all starts with rights and with privileges. If your interpretation of the Second Amendment is final, no exceptions , when it comes to the right to carry a gun well we will always have a disagreement. I think, like driving a car ( a real huge killer of our people) that gun ownership is a privilege, or should be anyway. Maybe there was a time in our history when this was not so, today we have way too many people for your theory to work .
The U.S. Constitution disagrees with you. The right to keep and bear arms is specifically laid out in the 2nd Amendment. So yes, it is final, until and unless the 2nd Amendment is removed or modified through the appropriate channels. The only exceptions should be in cases where the exercising of that right makes an individual a danger to the rest of society, i.e. mental health issues and people who have already proven themselves to be dangerous to society, such as those convicted of aggravated felonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies