Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Every gun-related crime performed nowadays has broken, by definition, multiple gun laws on the books. Yet these crimes are still performed on a frequent basis. Maybe we should be treating the root cause of people doing this instead of the end result itself.

This is just like the CA ban on driving with cell phones. Clueless people are plowing into people with their cars while driving. CA bans cell phone usage while driving. I see people still driving while yapping on cell phones on a daily basis TODAY. All the law basically does is slap on another charge after the yapping person plows into a yet another person. Lot of good that law did.

Moral of the story: Maybe just maybe the behavior of today's society is the problem, not the objects they use and the laws that ban them.
Oh yeah, here's another one. Question: what other thing does society abuse much and cause untold mass quantity of misery and cost for themselves, their families, other people not associated and society in general[1], as well as being the source of much of the crime today? That's right. DRUGS. How many random crimes are committed on people not involved with the criminal due to drugs? Hmmm, isn't there some laws (federal and state) which ban the abuse of this item already? Exactly how well is THAT going?

Oh yeah, talk about hypocrisy. Wonder how many on these and other forums who are spewing endless posts about banning guns are for all these drug laws? I'm willing to bet they are the same ones who are calling for the end of many of the current drug laws on the books. In other words, as long as the law tramples on YOUR civil liberties, no problem, but as soon as laws trample on THEIR civil liberties, they miraculously and instantaneously turn into Ron Pauls.

As I've said before, maybe the root problem isn't the abuse of various items (and I can go on and on about it), maybe the root problem is the behavior of many in society and mental health issues, not the things they abuse.

[1] Heck, they made many TV series shows on documenting the problems this item causes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Driving a car is still the biggest killer out there. Seat belts helped a little for many years, only because few people used them. It has taken a lot of years, generations, for buckling up to become natural.Today its not nearly the problem, and, its saving lives.( Cars have improved greatly, that due to our Government clamping down on the car companies, who, cared little about safety....at one time. Big fines seem to work, given all thats come and gone. Today safety is a selling point, something the marketing arm of the Car companies always said no too. !
Texting while driving is a even bigger killer than Drunk Driving, when you throw all cell phone activity while traveling down the road. I know of no one who will dispute that. It all takes time, years often to really sink in. Gun killings ( mass murder type murders) will need to be looked at and changed for the benefit of all, everyone that wakes up in the morning, it effects all, yet little has been done, little that has been done has been effective . Gun owners will have to join up for the greater good, just like with Cars and drugs. Its all a part of learning process, just takes way to much time, with so little results....so far. We need to speed up the progress, with all, everyone working together.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Driving a car is still the biggest killer out there.
Wrong. Our abortion clinics have killed more innocent people than all the Nazi death camps combined.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:12 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Driving a car is still the biggest killer out there. Seat belts helped a little for many years, only because few people used them. It has taken a lot of years, generations, for buckling up to become natural.Today its not nearly the problem, and, its saving lives.( Cars have improved greatly, that due to our Government clamping down on the car companies, who, cared little about safety....at one time. Big fines seem to work, given all thats come and gone. Today safety is a selling point, something the marketing arm of the Car companies always said no too. !
Texting while driving is a even bigger killer than Drunk Driving, when you throw all cell phone activity while traveling down the road. I know of no one who will dispute that. It all takes time, years often to really sink in. Gun killings ( mass murder type murders) will need to be looked at and changed for the benefit of all, everyone that wakes up in the morning, it effects all, yet little has been done, little that has been done has been effective . Gun owners will have to join up for the greater good, just like with Cars and drugs. Its all a part of learning process, just takes way to much time, with so little results....so far. We need to speed up the progress, with all, everyone working together.
Demonizing firearms owners, as many here have done, is not the way to work together. The one thing that all of your points have in common is education, and firearms education has been shunted to the side over the last few decades. As a case in point, we had a firearms class when I was in school where the students learned about firearms safety as well as learning how to shoot properly. That program got thrown out along with a lot of other non-firearms related programs, supposedly in the name of progress.

The current mentality of most anti-gunners is one of ignorance and fear, neither of which will foster a reasonable discussion of firearms. Admittedly, there is a stubborn "nothing to talk about" mindset on the part of some of the hardcore pro-gunners, which also is detrimental to the discussion. Both sides need to realize that there is a problem with violence in our country that needs to be addressed. It isn't the fault of the firearms or the vast majority of firearms owners, nor is it the fault of the anti-gunners. It is the fault of our society in general, and until it gets some attention from both sides the violence will continue.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Demonizing firearms owners, as many here have done, is not the way to work together. The one thing that all of your points have in common is education, and firearms education has been shunted to the side over the last few decades. As a case in point, we had a firearms class when I was in school where the students learned about firearms safety as well as learning how to shoot properly. That program got thrown out along with a lot of other non-firearms related programs, supposedly in the name of progress.

The current mentality of most anti-gunners is one of ignorance and fear, neither of which will foster a reasonable discussion of firearms. Admittedly, there is a stubborn "nothing to talk about" mindset on the part of some of the hardcore pro-gunners, which also is detrimental to the discussion. Both sides need to realize that there is a problem with violence in our country that needs to be addressed. It isn't the fault of the firearms or the vast majority of firearms owners, nor is it the fault of the anti-gunners. It is the fault of our society in general, and until it gets some attention from both sides the violence will continue.
Some of the cut in safety programs and teaching not only Gun safety has been cut because of tight fiscal budgets.mental health is one area where we need to be doing lots more. You are right, the blind no see, no hear, no look, mentality by a lot of the Gun hardcore people is blocking the way forward. The NRA is not your friend, as many gun owners have found out. The NRA makes money ( about 1.00 on the sale of every gun, same on ammo )Few people know that. There is little reason why they are for more guns and more guns.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Some of the cut in safety programs and teaching not only Gun safety has been cut because of tight fiscal budgets.mental health is one area where we need to be doing lots more. You are right, the blind no see, no hear, no look, mentality by a lot of the Gun hardcore people is blocking the way forward. The NRA is not your friend, as many gun owners have found out. The NRA makes money ( about 1.00 on the sale of every gun, same on ammo )Few people know that. There is little reason why they are for more guns and more guns.
Really. Let's see your proof of that, please. Not some blogger who thinks so.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Wrong. Our abortion clinics have killed more innocent people than all the Nazi death camps combined.
Your comments have no relevance here. We are NOT talking about Abortion , nor are we talking about all the people that die from heart problems and cancer. These are all health issues that can be discussed in other forums. Please direct your comments on all that to the proper thread section.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

the only proof i can give is that when buying firearms at dealers, they give me the option of adding $1 to the price to give to the nra. wish it was the goa or jfpo instead.

never had that option when buying ammo.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the only proof i can give is that when buying firearms at dealers, they give me the option of adding $1 to the price to give to the nra. wish it was the goa or jfpo instead.

never had that option when buying ammo.
I have to say I've never been asked that when I've bought a gun. The State of Maryland does try to have me make a donation to one state program or another when I buy my hunting license and stamps, though.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That report was made yesterday on MSNBC Andria Mitchell Show... I am trying to fact check it, so far the only thing I have found ( in part why I put that into my comments as it was first hand)is from a friend of a friend who bought a Gun last week from Gander Mountain."He was told that the 1.00 donation to the NRA was "store Policy"both for ammo and the gun sale. They did not say it was optional for the buyer or not. I will keep checking for more . I plan this afternoon to stop in at Gander MTn. as I know a person who works there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies