Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Your comments have no relevance here. We are NOT talking about Abortion , nor are we talking about all the people that die from heart problems and cancer. These are all health issues that can be discussed in other forums. Please direct your comments on all that to the proper thread section.
Actually, the thread is about weapons and gun ownership. That 11,000 gun killings a year pales in comparison to 1,000,000 abortion murders a year in America is very relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
^^^^^ Especially when they attack our "gun lifestyle" and how sacrificing it to save even ONE life should be worth it.

But they don't like hearing it turned back on them when the reality is their liberal hefonistic irresponsible LIFESTYLE is responsible for millions of babies killed each year!

...and just today Planned Parenthood killed another 900 babies!
They'll do the same tomorrow and the next day too...

Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Coming, a new and list of sources for the bad guys looking for arms ....

Journal News To List More Gun Permit Holders After Uproar

Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Actually, the thread is about weapons and gun ownership. That 11,000 gun killings a year pales in comparison to 1,000,000 abortion murders a year in America is very relevant.
Abortion is a legal medical procedure but if you know of someone murdering babies I urge you to call the police immediately.Comparing the termination of a 2 inch fetus to gunning down living human beings is...well,never mind.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
How you can twist your way into an assault weapon debate is maybe more than just a coincidence, or a one off opinion. My point is do not muddy the water on this hot topic thats fresh in the National news. I agree its a perfect time to make your point , on ether side.
If that was your only agenda I would not say anything thats directed towards what you believe and your right to express it. However, you have injected a totally off topic with the Abortion issues.. Its an another subject , not related to Gun Control. That said, I guess if you can connect all far right wing talking points into one bag, then I can see why you could be calling for this separate debate to be part of gun control.
The only thing relevant here is your wish to push together separate hot button topics. It only distracts and waters down the Gun debate that on the front burner all across the land. Now if you can somehow show us where the mass murders are connected to Abortion intertwined with assault weapons , well that would be a very long stretch which more than qualifies for crazy conspiracy theory. Abortion is a medical procedure that falls under a whole different set of rules than anything we are talking about here. You might as well be talking about Religion, and how it may be connected to Gun Control/assault weapons.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
How you can twist your way into an assault weapon debate is maybe more than just a coincidence, or a one off opinion. My point is do not muddy the water on this hot topic thats fresh in the National news. I agree its a perfect time to make your point , on ether side.
If that was your only agenda I would not say anything thats directed towards what you believe and your right to express it. However, you have injected a totally off topic with the Abortion issues.. Its an another subject , not related to Gun Control. That said, I guess if you can connect all far right wing talking points into one bag, then I can see why you could be calling for this separate debate to be part of gun control.
The only thing relevant here is your wish to push together separate hot button topics. It only distracts and waters down the Gun debate that on the front burner all across the land. Now if you can somehow show us where the mass murders are connected to Abortion intertwined with assault weapons , well that would be a very long stretch which more than qualifies for crazy conspiracy theory. Abortion is a medical procedure that falls under a whole different set of rules than anything we are talking about here. You might as well be talking about Religion, and how it may be connected to Gun Control/assault weapons.
Not for nothing, but I feel it must once again be pointed out that assault weapons are already strictly regulated. An assault weapon includes a select fire option which can turn the weapon into a fully automatic firearm. Nothing like that has been used in a mass shooting that I can find reference to. Please correct me if I've missed a news story.

Now, if you're using the typical political/media spun definition of "assault weapon," how about you jump off the bandwagon and get yourself an education on what the media and politicians are actually trying to do by using fear based propaganda before you start lecturing anyone on how they can or cannot discuss a topic?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Not for nothing, but I feel it must once again be pointed out that assault weapons are already strictly regulated. An assault weapon includes a select fire option which can turn the weapon into a fully automatic firearm. Nothing like that has been used in a mass shooting that I can find reference to. Please correct me if I've missed a news story.

Now, if you're using the typical political/media spun definition of "assault weapon," how about you jump off the bandwagon and get yourself an education on what the media and politicians are actually trying to do by using fear based propaganda before you start lecturing anyone on how they can or cannot discuss a topic?
Ok, but lets clear up the Abortion direct involvement thing first, right ? I am only trying to help us all stay on subject, as are some other posters too.
You have now turned to "Assault Weapons" , good, . The way I have been reading it, it all revolves around the Bushmaster, which can be converted to fully automatic, . I think its more than that though. In its standard form, using .223 ammo it works quite well as a semi Auto rifle. Side Arms are also semi auto, but do not have the long range accuracy as the Bushmaster which makes for a near perfect killing people machine.They are easy to handle, look intimidating, little or no recoil, high velocity and fast. Its the best of both worlds, the way I see it, when comparing hand guns to hunting rifles and what they have been used for. Anything else out there is not readily known it seems. The Bush master has been the weapon of choice in the last round of mass murders.
Why I do not know, but certain guns seem to be " popular" depending on use. A high powered long barrel rifle with scope would be best for shooting people sniper style from the bell tower or what ever window there is on a high floor of a big building. I know there are other examples, but thats about the extend of my practical knowledge here on the subject. I do not know what you mean about " media spun definitions"of firearms.? From what I have read, I think its all about guns that are not typically used for hunting, right ? What I suggest you do, is tell us what YOUR definition of Assault weapon is ? You have to admit the best thing for us all is to increase public awareness all the way around. You can never get too much info. when it comes to classifications.I suspect thought you may have further agenda here than defining what guns to ban is. With all the talk and the lack of knowledge, I would suggest we go with what Canada is doing. Its working up there, so lets adopt it ! Its not like they are unfamiliar with hunting.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Ok, but lets clear up the Abortion direct involvement thing first, right ? I am only trying to help us all stay on subject, as are some other posters too.
You have now turned to "Assault Weapons" , good, . The way I have been reading it, it all revolves around the Bushmaster, which can be converted to fully automatic, . I think its more than that though. In its standard form, using .223 ammo it works quite well as a semi Auto rifle. Side Arms are also semi auto, but do not have the long range accuracy as the Bushmaster which makes for a near perfect killing people machine.They are easy to handle, look intimidating, little or no recoil, high velocity and fast. Its the best of both worlds, the way I see it, when comparing hand guns to hunting rifles and what they have been used for. Anything else out there is not readily known it seems. The Bush master has been the weapon of choice in the last round of mass murders.
Not legally, and not easily. You cannot purchase a kit to convert them, and it would take an extremely skilled machinist to build a new receiver that would work. Even at that, it would already be illegal to do so. The only legal conversion would involve the purchase of a receiver that was registered before 1986 after going through the convoluted steps to become licensed to own a fully automatic weapon.

Bushmasters are most commonly used for sport shooting on the range (major competition sport in the gun world) as well as hunting in areas that have open, long-range shot conditions (prairies, etc.). There is nothing that is inherently more dangerous about the Bushmaster style of weapon than any other semi-automatic weapon with a detachable magazine. The argument that extended magazines make them more deadly is specious, at best, since anyone willing to put in a little bit of practice can learn to hot-swap a magazine with amazing speed.

Quote:
Why I do not know, but certain guns seem to be " popular" depending on use. A high powered long barrel rifle with scope would be best for shooting people sniper style from the bell tower or what ever window there is on a high floor of a big building. I know there are other examples, but thats about the extend of my practical knowledge here on the subject. I do not know what you mean about " media spun definitions"of firearms.? From what I have read, I think its all about guns that are not typically used for hunting, right ? What I suggest you do, is tell us what YOUR definition of Assault weapon is ? You have to admit the best thing for us all is to increase public awareness all the way around. You can never get too much info. when it comes to classifications.I suspect thought you may have further agenda here than defining what guns to ban is. With all the talk and the lack of knowledge, I would suggest we go with what Canada is doing. Its working up there, so lets adopt it ! Its not like they are unfamiliar with hunting.
My definition of an "assault weapon" is that it is a made-up term that is being used by the media and certain politicians to scare the crap out of people who don't know any better (hence the media-spun info comment). However, if you want the definition of an "assault rifle," we'll go with the experts, as in the U.S. Military:

~ It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
~ It must be capable of selective fire;
~ It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
~ Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
~ And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)

By this definition, the Bushmaster variety of firearms is definitely not an assault rifle. The bolded line alone eliminates its inclusion in the category, as there is no firearm legally available to the general public which is equipped with select fire. To clarify, select fire means that it is capable, via a button, switch, or lever, of being able to fire more than one shot per trigger depression. In other words, it can be switched to fully automatic or three round burst mode without having to make any major changes to the weapon.

I agree that more knowledge is never a bad thing, but unfortunately there are many people who hear the term "assault weapon" and immediately shut off the learning centers of their brain.

I disagree with modeling our laws after any foreign country whatsoever, quite frankly. We are, after all, a unique society, and while the laws of other countries may work for them there is no guarantee that those laws would work in our country. This doesn't even take into account the staggering cost we would be looking at in completely restructuring our legal system, nor does it touch on the all-important 2nd Amendment, which guarantees in explicit terms that our right to own and carry firearms shall not be infringed.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:08 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
I think its all about guns that are not typically used for hunting, right ? What I suggest you do, is tell us what YOUR definition of Assault weapon is ? You have to admit the best thing for us all is to increase public awareness all the way around. You can never get too much info. when it comes to classifications.I suspect thought you may have further agenda here than defining what guns to ban is. With all the talk and the lack of knowledge, I would suggest we go with what Canada is doing. Its working up there, so lets adopt it ! Its not like they are unfamiliar with hunting.
The 2nd amendment is not about hunting, sporting use or home protection. An assault rifle is a shortened rifle that carries a cartridge lesser in power to a typical military rifle round, but greater in power than a pistol round, that is capable of full automatic fire. A semi-automatic is not an assault rifle, and even if it was,

The 2nd amendment shall NOT be infringed.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/the-nazi-...sOirxbdAeel.03

Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Not legally, and not easily. You cannot purchase a kit to convert them, and it would take an extremely skilled machinist to build a new receiver that would work. Even at that, it would already be illegal to do so. The only legal conversion would involve the purchase of a receiver that was registered before 1986 after going through the convoluted steps to become licensed to own a fully automatic weapon.

Bushmasters are most commonly used for sport shooting on the range (major competition sport in the gun world) as well as hunting in areas that have open, long-range shot conditions (prairies, etc.). There is nothing that is inherently more dangerous about the Bushmaster style of weapon than any other semi-automatic weapon with a detachable magazine. The argument that extended magazines make them more deadly is specious, at best, since anyone willing to put in a little bit of practice can learn to hot-swap a magazine with amazing speed.

My definition of an "assault weapon" is that it is a made-up term that is being used by the media and certain politicians to scare the crap out of people who don't know any better (hence the media-spun info comment). However, if you want the definition of an "assault rifle," we'll go with the experts, as in the U.S. Military:

~ It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
~ It must be capable of selective fire;
~ It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
~ Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
~ And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)

By this definition, the Bushmaster variety of firearms is definitely not an assault rifle. The bolded line alone eliminates its inclusion in the category, as there is no firearm legally available to the general public which is equipped with select fire. To clarify, select fire means that it is capable, via a button, switch, or lever, of being able to fire more than one shot per trigger depression. In other words, it can be switched to fully automatic or three round burst mode without having to make any major changes to the weapon.

I agree that more knowledge is never a bad thing, but unfortunately there are many people who hear the term "assault weapon" and immediately shut off the learning centers of their brain.

I disagree with modeling our laws after any foreign country whatsoever, quite frankly. We are, after all, a unique society, and while the laws of other countries may work for them there is no guarantee that those laws would work in our country. This doesn't even take into account the staggering cost we would be looking at in completely restructuring our legal system, nor does it touch on the all-important 2nd Amendment, which guarantees in explicit terms that our right to own and carry firearms shall not be infringed.
This " assault weapon" thing has been around before. I would have to see how any bill was constructed in order to comment on the 2nd amendment thing. It seems to me the 1st amendment could come in here when the right to assemble , danger to the public at large, several wordings. freedom of speech, whatever
Regarding Canada, They would be a natural fit to follow. The Canadians are mostly like any person Stateside, and our laws for the most part are reciprocal. I know bringing guns into Canada is tough, more so than the other way around. I found that out the hard way once ! One thing for sure their crime rate is lower than in the US. I know several Canadians that carry, they are very protective about their Gun rights. Its not like England where all guns are illegal.
I know you do not agree about the Bushmaster because it is not automatic. I owned one years ago , it was Fun to shoot when we went off shore in our sailboat. It fitts every Military requirement except the auto think , right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies