Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times

Advertisements

Wonderful , just what the average guy needs lol. O' there is always someone who does it one up. Lets see, destroying a pallet ? I would just use a little diesel fuel and a zippo. And, while your at it, from your local feed store some ammonia nitrate fertilizer, some more of that diesel fuel, ....and...well you know the drill. Auto shotgun...that's small stuff....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Wonderful , just what the average guy needs lol. O' there is always someone who does it one up. Lets see, destroying a pallet ? I would just use a little diesel fuel and a zippo. And, while your at it, from your local feed store some ammonia nitrate fertilizer, some more of that diesel fuel, ....and...well you know the drill. Auto shotgun...that's small stuff....lol
Both the Saiga and Akdal are semi-auto shot guns. The AA-12 is a full-auto shotgun with a cyclic rate of fire of 300 rounds per minute.

AA-12. World's deadliest shotgun! - YouTube

Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Both the Saiga and Akdal are semi-auto shot guns. The AA-12 is a full-auto shotgun with a cyclic rate of fire of 300 rounds per minute.

AA-12. World's deadliest shotgun! - YouTube
Impressive! I wonder how this compares to a 50 cal. Gun ?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Impressive! I wonder how this compares to a 50 cal. Gun ?
The M2 Browning .50 caliber machine-gun has a cyclic rate of 450-575 rounds per minute. The M2 cannot fire HE fragmentation grenades, the AA-12 can. With a semi-auto, I could probably manage 120 rounds per minute, but not very accurately.

12-gauge shotguns are also capable of firing a .65 caliber slug, but not anywhere near the stopping power of a .50 caliber BMG. A .65 caliber slug from a 12-gauge has 2,361 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, and 926 foot pounds at 100 yards. While the .50 caliber BMG 800 grain Barnes round, traveling at 2,895 feet per second, has 14,895 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-29-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
The OP has said that no law abiding citizen would have such a weapon. In the OP's opinion, only those willing to give up their Constitutional rights can be law abiding.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 AM

88 posts, read 103,089 times
The OP statement is based on people who do not shoot. I can say the same thing about a corvette. Although I admit the shooting a few weeks ago is horrible and it brings up the issue of can something be done, emotion should play no part of a solution. If it does then we get Salem Witch trials and things happen that cause more trouble then they stop. Yes law abiding citizens can and do want to own semi auto versions of military rifles. Law abiding citizens even own full auto firearms. Non of these full autos have been used or very few have been used in crimes. We may need to go to a system where transfers must be conducted for every sale of a semi auto. I don't love the idea but it may help slow down the crimes committed while keeping them available for the law abiding public.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooka View Post
We may need to go to a system where transfers must be conducted for every sale of a semi auto.
"Shall not be infringed". We either have a Constitution or we do not. Which is it?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No matter how it's worded, an infringement on the 2nd Amendment is an infringement. Your right to carry has nothing to do with the right to assemble or freedom of speech, other than that they are both granted by the Bill of Rights. The right to carry granted to law abiding citizens is not a danger to the public at large, either, except in cases of gross negligence, and the same can be said about driving a car.

Actually, in the caliber that was allegedly used at Sandy Hook, it doesn't fit the intermediate round category or the range criteria either. Not to say someone couldn't take a 1000 yd shot with a .223, but if they can they're a better shot than I ever was, and at one point in my life I was one heck of a marksman (I made money hunting coyotes, gophers, etc. when I was a teenager and into my early twenties). The only 2 things on the list that fit the Bushmaster are a shoulder-stock and a detachable magazine.

Granted, the intermediate round criteria may be open to some interpretation, depending on whether you consider "power" to be describing the amount of powder in the round (which makes it comparable to a standard rifle round) or the size of the bullet (which is smaller than a standard rifle round). Generally, power is interchangeable with propulsive force, which is the first definition.

The courts ruled on restrictions relative to the second amendment, rights are not unlimited, restrictions existed before the 1994 assault weapons ban. The 1994 legislation had really limited restrictions and semi-automatic weapons, very few were included in the ban.

There is little difference between the Bushmaster and M-16 military verssion other than lack of automatic fire which is rarely used by military. Obviuously both are very effective at killing using semi-automatic. The Bushmaster is very effective at 300 Meters, the Beltway sniper used it back iin 2002 killing around 20 people, no issue with range so not sure why it would be classified as not being intermediate range.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The courts ruled on restrictions relative to the second amendment, rights are not unlimited, restrictions existed before the 1994 assault weapons ban. The 1994 legislation had really limited restrictions and semi-automatic weapons, very few were included in the ban.

There is little difference between the Bushmaster and M-16 military verssion other than lack of automatic fire which is rarely used by military. Obviuously both are very effective at killing using semi-automatic. The Bushmaster is very effective at 300 Meters, the Beltway sniper used it back iin 2002 killing around 20 people, no issue with range so not sure why it would be classified as not being intermediate range.
You are correct, and I misread the range requirements. I'll blame it on lack of sleep and posting with children chattering in the background For you kids that, like me, aren't great at math, 300 meters is 1000 feet, not 1000 yards...

The range requirement does fit the criteria. However, this still does not make the Bushmaster an Assault Rifle by the standard definition. Also, while it is effective at the 300m range, so are hundreds of other rifles, none of which are being hung with the illogical and purposely scary "assault weapon" moniker.

The Supreme Court has also ruled that acceptable restrictions are limited to weapons "in common use at the time." Considering that estimates put the AR-15 style of rifle at 20% of the domestic market, it could logically be called "common."

What it comes down to is education. There are valid uses for the AR-15 that have nothing to do with "assault" on other human beings. Target competitions and hunting are two that come to mind readily. Just because it looks scary doesn't mean it is any more dangerous than any other firearm, and no amount of magazine size restrictions or prohibitions are going to turn any firearm into something warm and cuddly. A firearm is a tool, just like any other inanimate object with a purpose, and giving any type of firearm a scary name doesn't change that fact.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooka View Post
The OP statement is based on people who do not shoot. I can say the same thing about a corvette. Although I admit the shooting a few weeks ago is horrible and it brings up the issue of can something be done, emotion should play no part of a solution. If it does then we get Salem Witch trials and things happen that cause more trouble then they stop. Yes law abiding citizens can and do want to own semi auto versions of military rifles. Law abiding citizens even own full auto firearms. Non of these full autos have been used or very few have been used in crimes. We may need to go to a system where transfers must be conducted for every sale of a semi auto. I don't love the idea but it may help slow down the crimes committed while keeping them available for the law abiding public.
Yes, something can be done, but the anti-gun fanatics are dead set against it. If you want to prevent another VA Tech, Columbine, or Newtown massacre then the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995 should be repealed immediately. It is as if these anti-gun fanatics WANT innocent children slaughtered. Why else would they create massacre magnets like gun-free school zones?

There will never be any government record of any firearm transaction I ever make. Any gun owner stupid enough to give government any details about the firearms they purchased or sold does not deserve to own firearms. Doing so completely defeats the purpose of the Second Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies