Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times

Advertisements

Not sure about an assault rifle but all this talk got me out looking. Ordered a new Ruger Scout to take to the cabin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The bad guys will always have the upper hand, these events are so random and remote it's difficult to be ready even for a professional let alone a school teacher. How many armed school invasions in NY, NH, VT or Maine in the last 50 years, too much focus on armed intervention that may never come in a lifetime.
That's right the bad guys will never stop and they will always have the upper hand..

Is that a reason to not bother to even try?

I know you can scare sheep to death. By mistake i did that very thing twice. All you need do is be someplace a real wooly sheep doesn't expect you to be and poof they just lay down and die...

You think this is some how better?

I don't, not when we are talking about 20 plus people. After the first several are killed there is time to take action.

Lesser numbers will die, once action has been taken and I don't mean SWAT showing up 3 hours too late either. We don't need that kind of training to stop a insane wacko with a gun inside a school.

I personally faced a paroled x con violent offender at 3 AM about and I shot the SOB with a 12 ga in one hand with the damnned phone in the other. I was awkaend by my dog and the idiot offender.

So are you trying to tell me no one can defend themselves either? because that is totally wrong...

I can also see you are nothing more than a seething foaming at the mouth rabid anti gunner..

You are not open mindedly investigating what kind of a problem there is. That isn't a bit of what you are doing.

This symptom always shows up when a honest question was asked and the rabid anti just passes it over as of no particular importance.

That is because you feel in your all knowing superior mind that us gun owners are nothing more than knuckle dragging fools all a bunch of hicks.

You wear it well.

On a personal note i don't recall any armed assaults on any schools in NH, VT or main in the last 50 years..

That might be because in these states most any local fathers have guns up the wazzoo.

oddly just like this guy

Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I agree whole heartedly. more guns equal less crime.
Your statement is too simplistic. " more guns equal less crime: ? NO that can not be because such a broad statement can not apply everywhere in this Country or other countries ether. You must consider the environment. Just like arming ALL teachers is not the way to go ether.I know plenty of teachers who will never own a gun, they would quit first !
The USA is the most gun populated first world country in the world, and has the most crime! ( guns per 100 residents 88,8 ranks number 1 everywhere. this was survey was from 2007 and reported currently by Wikipedia)we also have the highest gun related deaths of any first world nation.... which included suicide. All the more reason to limit gun easy access.. ( the hard criminals will always find a way to get any weapons, even those that will bring down an airplane..)...We need less Government in the gun business too.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Your statement is too simplistic. " more guns equal less crime: ? NO that can not be because such a broad statement can not apply everywhere in this Country or other countries ether. You must consider the environment. Just like arming ALL teachers is not the way to go ether.I know plenty of teachers who will never own a gun, they would quit first !
The USA is the most gun populated first world country in the world, and has the most crime! ( guns per 100 residents 88,8 ranks number 1 everywhere. this was survey was from 2007 and reported currently by Wikipedia)we also have the highest gun related deaths of any first world nation.... which included suicide. All the more reason to limit gun easy access.. ( the hard criminals will always find a way to get any weapons, even those that will bring down an airplane..)...We need less Government in the gun business too.
it would be nice to ban guns for 5 years, just so the grabbers could see the whole idea won't work.

On the other hand if we gun owners allowed that to happen we would never get guns back.

Guns are not the problem.. Insanity is, and letting liberals make LAW is insanity!

Just look what liberal laws have done.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM

14 posts, read 20,609 times
In the end we are going to continue to have military grade weapons. From the M1 Garand to the belt fed machine gun. Does the average home owner need it; probably not. A rancher in South Texas? There is a lot of ex-military that are just comfortable and well trained with a Beretta or M16 type weapon. they are trained in it's use, safety and capabilities. they have fired thousands of rounds. The other question is how many veterans verses civilians sued military weapons to initiate violence? The real question is why are people doing these acts of violence with no definitive goal for their benefit.
This is just the anti-gun groups trying to get power within the beltway.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXPAT View Post
In the end we are going to continue to have military grade weapons. From the M1 Garand to the belt fed machine gun. Does the average home owner need it; probably not. A rancher in South Texas? There is a lot of ex-military that are just comfortable and well trained with a Beretta or M16 type weapon. they are trained in it's use, safety and capabilities. they have fired thousands of rounds. The other question is how many veterans verses civilians sued military weapons to initiate violence? The real question is why are people doing these acts of violence with no definitive goal for their benefit.
This is just the anti-gun groups trying to get power within the beltway.
I agree. Historically, military style weapons originated from civilian weapons. Only recently, within the last few decades, have military weapons been designed from scratch with a military purpose in mind.

The 12-gauge shotgun is a classic example. All the way up to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars the shotguns used by the military were primarily civilian weapons. The AA-12 became the first military shotgun that was designed from scratch.

It is also not surprising that gun manufacturers would modify their military style weapons for civilian use in order to increase sales. You could even say that these weapons specifically target the ex-vet or former military who are now civilians.

I have to admit that an AR-style 12-gauge shotgun does have some appeal to me. It would make for an effective defensive weapon against a bear or moose. It would also be lighter than my current Mossberg model 500, and take more abuse. I would like to compare the two on a skeet range.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Apparently there are not a lot of law abiding citizens.

Most selectively obey laws.

Last year someone was irresponsible enough to kill 10k people in auto crashes, most involving alcohol.

We did punish a 6 year old who pointed his finger, sent himn to his room and made him watch killing videos.

The OP doesn't cover the 11 mill or so illegal aliens who live among us, many of which are armed gang members.

Doesn't include the inner city folks who are armed in fear of their life as evidenced by the murder rate in those cities. Statistics fall flat when you hear gun shots outside our window or know people personally that were robbed at gun point then shot.

As for what an assault weapon is, do not be surprised if it is extended to include 'any gun' as "a gun has only one purpose and that uis to kill" therefore every gun made is a potential assault weapon.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times

Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
it would be nice to ban guns for 5 years, just so the grabbers could see the whole idea won't work.

On the other hand if we gun owners allowed that to happen we would never get guns back.

Guns are not the problem.. Insanity is, and letting liberals make LAW is insanity!

Just look what liberal laws have done.
All the right win gun advocates have one thing that overrides other rational thinking. Its that fear someone IS going to take away their GUNS, sooner or later. If this needs to be a political war, then thats what it will be....But it does not have to be. There was a time when right and left got along, listened to opposing views, made compromise to get the peoples work done. Today we have a non functioning Congress, both Houses.Why do you think the public approval is so low, it could hardly be lower, yet they keep getting elected, they keep gerrymandering Districts, keep beholding to huge special interests. There are more lobbyists on Capital Hill then there are law makers, including all aides, clerical personal, even limo drivers.Our Government is broken !
Now, your statements: " Guns are not the problem" "insanity is" then you go on to blame it all on one political party, one mindset that differs from yours. That my friend is just plain wrong, you are turning all the violence/gun related problems on one side, which, goes to show you are more concerned about Politics than solving the problem. You go on " what liberal laws have done" ? There is no such thing. Our system of Government, a Republic, allows for minority opinion to sometimes rule the day. Other times its the majority rule. The system was meant to be a check and balance , to give power to ALL the people, thats a Republic, sometimes its not just the majority.
So, lets try to put aside the far sided views, from both sides, and try to get something done for once in this sorry state of affairs we call the United States Of America !!!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
All the right win gun advocates have one thing that overrides other rational thinking. Its that fear someone IS going to take away their GUNS, sooner or later. If this needs to be a political war, then thats what it will be....But it does not have to be. There was a time when right and left got along, listened to opposing views, made compromise to get the peoples work done. Today we have a non functioning Congress, both Houses.Why do you think the public approval is so low, it could hardly be lower, yet they keep getting elected, they keep gerrymandering Districts, keep beholding to huge special interests. There are more lobbyists on Capital Hill then there are law makers, including all aides, clerical personal, even limo drivers.Our Government is broken !
Now, your statements: " Guns are not the problem" "insanity is" then you go on to blame it all on one political party, one mindset that differs from yours. That my friend is just plain wrong, you are turning all the violence/gun related problems on one side, which, goes to show you are more concerned about Politics than solving the problem. You go on " what liberal laws have done" ? There is no such thing. Our system of Government, a Republic, allows for minority opinion to sometimes rule the day. Other times its the majority rule. The system was meant to be a check and balance , to give power to ALL the people, thats a Republic, sometimes its not just the majority.
So, lets try to put aside the far sided views, from both sides, and try to get something done for once in this sorry state of affairs we call the United States Of America !!!
The downside to your argument is that most firearms owners are starting to feel like they are being backed into a corner by legislators like Feinstein and the supporters of firearms "regulations" that any person with common sense knows won't do a bit of good. All this talk of limiting capacity and restricting weapons is an attack on our Constitutionally protected rights, but those who are supporting this legislation want to tiptoe around that little fact and pretend that our rights won't be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies