Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
don't want an abortion don't have one. simple! use your own uterus as you see fit, all else butt out
Should be the same for funding. If I don't want to pay for an abortion, I (or anyone else who doesn't want to) shouldn't have to. Simple! Use my money as I see fit.

What's wrong with private funding? If you support abortion - feel free to donate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I found this a good link with lots of info on the 15 states.
Some eye opener requirements or lack of requirements there like you do not need to provide proof of citizenship.

Can Medicaid cover my abortion? | Fund Abortion Now.org
I looked at that site from your previous post; so far, I have not found what the actual restrictions are on providing abortions under Medicaid in these states. They may or may not pay for abortion on demand (up to whatever number of weeks is legal in those states). The site's style makes me somewhat crazy, so I'm pretty well done with it for now.

I did see that some states give special exceptions for pregnant non-citizens, though most also require proof of immigration status; what would you rather they do?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No wonder abortion is not a big deal for some. The people inside aren't even people - they are parasites, which sounds like a tick or some other blood sucking insect.
You should cease to allow your emotions to control your thinking:

par·a·site
/ˈparəˌsīt/
Noun
An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

A fetus IS a parasite because of the way that it derives its nutrients. Pretty simple.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You should cease to allow your emotions to control your thinking:

par·a·site
/ˈparəˌsīt/
Noun
An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

A fetus IS a parasite because of the way that it derives its nutrients. Pretty simple.
If you had read further along - I had noted that functionally speaking, it was accurate. But I don't refer to humans as parasites. Doesn't seem right to me.

I believe urbanlife also called it a "thing" somewhere amongst the posts.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I do donate to Planned Parenthood, I have seen the good they have done for women and I support that.
Same here.

The modest donations that I used to make to Susan B. Komen now go directly to Planned Parenthood.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Using your logic.....no one should be able to avail themselves of any government subsidy. And that would include tax deductions.
No, that's not using my logic. What do tax deductions have to do with this? They are used to stimulate the economy? Not taking people's money (so they have more to spend whatever) is not the same as giving them money so they have more money to spend on whatever.

But let's talk about government subsidies, since you think you have an argument. Theoretically, we give assistance because the person doesn't have enough to survive. Let's say when you subtract food and living expenses from their income, they're in the negative. So government subsidies shouldn't provide them any extra money, it just keeps them from starving. I know in practice that's not how it works (most of my neighbors are on welfare) but this is a much more sensitive issue since underfunding people causes people to go hungry. Underfunding PP causes no one to go hungry.

But why don't you support cutting government funding to PP? If the government wants to support contraception, they can fund an entity that also doesn't do abortions.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And is that a good thing or a bad thing having a high teenage pregnancy rate? Also it is funny to listen to the Cons whine about all the poor having babies adding to the dependents on the government issue.
Ther eis a higher recorded rate because people who live in conservative states are going to have thos ekids instead of aborting them

Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Since more than half of women who have abortions used bc, but a majority neglected to use it properly, what can you do that doesn't "place a woman in the position of choice in the first place." Have monitors in the bedroom ?

Among those who didn't use bc at all, a majority perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy or had unexpected sex. Whose responsibility is that.

Don't get me wrong. A woman can have 1, 5, 10 abortions as far as I'm concerned. But it's farcical to pretend that most abortions aren't the direct result of the intentional or irresponsible behavior of the woman and her sexmate.
PP provides education services.
No matter what you say (your posts are anti-choice/anti-woman) it's not one bit of your business what any woman chooses to do with her body, why or when.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Default Don't let facts get in your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I dont care what percentage of this and that PP does. They use tax payer dollars to commit murder and that I find offensive. They need to get out of the abortion business with my tax dollars. I have no problem with the other services they provide
Once again, faux poutrage.
Try reading the thread.
PP doesn't use tax dollars for abortion.
People like me donate to pay for those services.

Don't your wars kill more people.

Another right to lifer - until birth.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Don't worry - that's the goal. This whole healthcare configuration now is set up to fail and funnel everyone into a single payer system.

Beware what you ask for - single payer is single control for whomever is paying, and the "whomever" is government.
Oh no, healthcare for every american sounds so horrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies