Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

The Logical Fallacies: Complex Cause
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM

344 posts, read 427,780 times
The law of attraction applies to everyone. You become your environment. You cant download garbage in your spirit or soul and not expect the same output.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Ahh real hip hop

Nas NY State of Mind - YouTube

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM

734 posts, read 933,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This is not real hip-hop. Real Hip hop music was supposed to educate and elevate, not create confusion. Notice that his baby pic is used because in truth, he's in a regressive "childish" state.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 AM

266 posts, read 410,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
This is not real hip-hop. Real Hip hop music was supposed to educate and elevate, not create confusion. Notice that his baby pic is used because in truth, he's in a regressive "childish" state.
Umm Illmatic is often regarded as one of the best, if not the best, hip hop album of all time with New York State of Mind being one of the most popular tracks on the album. It is real. He's talking about how growing up in New York City has got him living and thinking crazy because him and everyone else have the "New York State of Mind" which is basically being a criminal. I believe Nas was 19 when he wrote this song and it came out in '94, a time when crime was rediculously high in NYC. In '94 stories like this were still somewhat new to mainstream America so it was original. A song like this may not be the same if it came out now (although it's better then anything comming out today) because it's 20 years later and we've heard these stories a million times, but then, it was pure gold. I'm not sure how he's creating confusion. He's just talking about the way he thinks when he's in his "New York State of Mind".

Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
The law of attraction applies to everyone. You become your environment. You cant download garbage in your spirit or soul and not expect the same output.
This. What you listen to is who you are. Don't listen to depressing crap then cry about being depressed...what do you expect?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Dude's a monster. Hip Hop legend. And he definitely educates. The street poet.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Wow, how did I miss this thread.

I tend to agree. I think the whole hip hop culture has done more harm than good for young, impressionable black youths.

And thanks for the education on Gucci Man. I'd heard the name but really didn't know who he was or was about. I don't need to know anymore!

I used to love hip hop and grew up on much of the old school hip hop (80's and 90's) but I tend to skip the local "urban" radio stations lately because anytime I tune in, all I hear is men begging for sex, hoods glamorizing seedy behavior, hood chicks crying over low-level men and they same old tired beats.

Half of the time, I'd rather tune into the pop stations cause at least its happier music that puts me in a good mood, instead of wanting to reach for my AK (sorry bad joke I would never own a gun ).

Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
I think new reservations should be created, where violent felons would be segregated from the rest of us. Under my plan, violent crime rates would necessarily plummet.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 PM

193 posts, read 340,344 times
stupid thread...

Stop giving crappy people attention. Between low vocabulary rappers, Larry the cable guy and Reality TV in this country getting all the attention, we´re on track to having the dumbest population on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies