Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
Undoubtedly there are individuals intelligent and conscious enough to be aware of these issues. But what good is speaking out against these issues if you only do it amongst family and friends and not to the public?

Those fears of being labeled should not override the fact pointed out by Dr. King that silence is betrayal.

I am certainly not about denying that police and job discrimination exists. I just brought up all those other factors up for two reasons

#1)Those other issues are categorically more important physically and financially

#2)Those other issues are much more in the hands of blacks to correct

#3)Focusing on discrimination can foster a victim mentality and can often give one an excuse to underachieve. Blacks of the 60s and 50s had it much harder. And generations before that even harder, etc etc Yet these individuals didn't make excuses. They accepted that there would be discrimination due to hate and ignorance. And they did everything in their power to overcome it

And it's rather sad when you see the emphasis put on education back then compared to today. It's rather sad when you see the command of the English language back then compared to the broken english that is spoken as if it's cool today. (Something that is a problem with all America but again this is particularly a problem in the black community)

Blacks back then had less resources to educational material yet there was a far greater emphasis on education.

And despite all the opportunities that previous generations have given, progress in many ways has been halted and even reversed

It's a sobering statistic when you compare the single parent home rate when Dr. King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech with today's numbers

So again you can focus on discrimination but it's to the detriment of the black community to make that the focal point when there are far greater issues and issues that are far more within the control of the black community to change.
How is discrimination NOT a problem to focus on if it affects a person? I have not once said that the other issues aren't important, because they are. I feel that there isn't enough focus on those issues. However, to say that one should ease up on the issue of discrimination is ridiculous in my judgement. The way I see it, if no one focuses on discrimination, it will only get worse because some of the persons who perpetuate discrimination might try to get away with it more when no one is looking. Same with the issues regarding abortion, out of wedlock births, and violence. They aren't going away either.

And friends and family are not the only places Black people talk about these issues. Church is another place these issues are talked about. And it is not just the labeling some Blacks are afraid of. I know for myself, one thing I don't like is when people just sit there and complain about Black people. I'm not going to want to have a conversation with someone who is coming at Black people in a condescending manner. Bringing up certain issues in public, well, this is what I see. Alot of Black people know that there are many who think the worst of them. One fear is that by saying these things, there are some people who will say "see, since a Black person says this stuff, then Black people can't be any good". It might confirm in the minds of some, the worst things they have thought of Blacks. I would also say that for some Blacks feel that "well, this is a problem for the Black community, so why go to the public"?

And something else. Why should I have to accept discrimination? That is what the Civil Rights movement was about. The people from generations before often accepted their fates because of being beaten down mentally. It was in the 50s and 60s that many Black people decided they were not going to take it anymore. They decided to fight back, and tell the people who were doing things to them that they were not going to take any more crap. Push finally came to shove.

And I am also quite aware of many issues coming from within the Black community. I am also aware that few people talk about it. And there is something else to consider. Alot of Black people do not want to live around negative things, like the violence, poor education standards, and other ills. Many Blacks vote with their feet and go to live in other places.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,316,695 times
Quote:
Undoubtedly there are individuals intelligent and conscious enough to be aware of these issues. But what good is speaking out against these issues if you only do it amongst family and friends and not to the public?

Did'nt you say that we should handle these issues within the black community? What better way to do it but to discuss the matters within our own family units and educate our own children family and freinds on these probelms?

Those fears of being labeled should not override the fact pointed out by Dr. King that silence is betrayal.

Who is being silent? There are plenty of educated and even not so educated blacks that speak out on these issues. Like I touched on before, there are so many whites who know nothing about the black community except from the faulty statistics, but yet have all of the answers for the community"s ills

I am certainly not about denying that police and job discrimination exists. I just brought up all those other factors up for two reasons

#1)Those other issues are categorically more important physically and financially

Oh really? Who are you to say what is important for a group of people that you very little about?

#2)Those other issues are much more in the hands of blacks to correct

Which goes back to what I said earlier regarding blacks eeducating those who want to learn

#3)Focusing on discrimination can foster a victim mentality and can often give one an excuse to underachieve. Blacks of the 60s and 50s had it much harder. And generations before that even harder, etc etc Yet these individuals didn't make excuses. They accepted that there would be discrimination due to hate and ignorance. And they did everything in their power to overcome it

That is a common term that many people who have never been discriminated or understand what it is like to be undervalued and marginalized. Blacks in the 50's and 60's were intiminated to the point of existing out of fear. Why do you think the klan had some much power (besides having the law on their side)? I bet the things that racist did to blacks then, they dare to do it now, and it has nothing to do with the law. Like G.M said why should I accept discrimination.

And it's rather sad when you see the emphasis put on education back then compared to today. It's rather sad when you see the command of the English language back then compared to the broken english that is spoken as if it's cool today. (Something that is a problem with all America but again this is particularly a problem in the black community)

Huh? You sit there and talk about black people and their mastery of a language that was not theirs to being with, but yet totally ignore the thousands of people from other coutries who actually refuse to speak english at all. Here is another bit of information, there are just as many whites who butcher the english language as well (have you ever been to Applachian Mountains or the bayous of LA?) so whats with the fixation with black people?

Blacks back then had less resources to educational material yet there was a far greater emphasis on education.
The family unit was left alone as well and blacks basically taught their own due to segregation

And despite all the opportunities that previous generations have given, progress in many ways has been halted and even reversed

And not once have you ever considered that institutionalized racism might have had a hand in that.

It's a sobering statistic when you compare the single parent home rate when Dr. King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech with today's numbers

So again you can focus on discrimination but it's to the detriment of the black community to make that the focal point when there are far greater issues and issues that are far more within the control of the black community to change.
So you are saying ignore the fact that because of discrimination black unemployment is higher than the rest of the country regardless of the educational levels obtained? So we should ignore the bad healthcare, education and ill treatment by the police because a few people would feel better if blacks ignored these everyday events?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 PM

258 posts, read 238,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So you are saying ignore the fact that because of discrimination black unemployment is higher than the rest of the country regardless of the educational levels obtained? So we should ignore the bad healthcare, education and ill treatment by the police because a few people would feel better if blacks ignored these everyday events?
Let me reiterate it again for you and see if you continue to ignore or misrepresent my position

Yes, there is racial discrimination by police and by employers. But these are not the greatest threats in the black community? Did I say they should be ignored completely? No they shouldn't . But they should not be the primary focus. But through emotionalism and through race pimping, these issues are at the forefront. It's a manipulation of how humans are. That's why there is more outrage for one Trayvon Martin death than 10,000 black on black crimes. More outrage for one Trayvon Martin death than 100,000 deaths due to preventable diseases.

The black community just like all of America has to stop letting the media give them permission to be upset and to rally around a cause.

Again I never said that blacks should not focus on racial discrimination, I said the problem is that it's the WRONG KIND of discrimination that is focused on. The wrong kind because there are far more severe situations to focus on. It's a papercut compared to an open gun shot wound by comparison.

The true discrimination to focus on is the type of garbage processed food that is put in black communities. The Planned Parenthood facilities in black communities. The garbage for entertainment that casts blacks in damaging stereotypical roles whether if it's movies, tv sitcoms, or commercial rap.

You have the problem that many people have. It's too much pride. Not pride in terms of I'm proud of myself. Pride in terms of the kind that comes before the fall.

You want to project all the shortcomings on some external threat. Again some people do this for America as a whole. They are too prideful to admit how corrupt our nature has become and how it's falling due to treason from within. So they feel comfortable blaming the Al Qaeda boogeyman and illegal immigrants for all our problems

I see the same for individuals who spend so much time focusing on police brutality and discrimination in the job market when in reality those areas are no longer anywhere close to the greatest dangers facing the black community

In the 1950s and 1960s the greatest threat to black America was racist terrorism. In the 21st century the greatest threat are traitors within the black community. Preachers, Teachers, Radio Personalities, Musicians, Drug Dealers, etc

"They say the government gave us guns, liquor, and crack
But the last time I checked, your killer was black, your dealer was black
And his money was green
So you can read between the lines and see what I mean

See when it comes to the hood they have no influence
They need a middle man, a real opportunist

One of our own kind that's selfish enough to do it
Inject the hood with poison for some lifestyle improvements"

Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Carrick is not an all white community, nice try though. Not to mention it is not in the suburbs either it is still within the city limits. Well perhaps if the police (Pittsburgh in particuliar) were not so racist and attack the innocent like they are guilty they proably would get more corperation from the black community. I guess that you forgot about Johnny Gammage. Please explain to us all how 4 cops got away with murdering a black unarmed man and were aquited of all charges from an all-white jury. They did not want to punish those cops for murder in otherwords "work with the families for justice". So what makes them any different then a single mother who witnesses a murder and does not say anything?

I'm pretty sure that you would rather blacks march instead of taking the law into their own hands anyway. Since you want to ignore the what I stated before, here another tibit of information, when was the last time that a Pittsburgh police officer has been disciplined for beating or killing an innocent black person?
Carrick is predominantly white and I don't know what Johnny Gammage has to do with this, but is it makes you happy, I also believe Gammage was murdered. I cannot answer when the last time a Pgh cop was disciplined, but many have been fired and the department sued many times. Funny, because a black cop was just fired for the things you speak of.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Let me reiterate it again for you and see if you continue to ignore or misrepresent my position

Yes, there is racial discrimination by police and by employers. But these are not the greatest threats in the black community? Did I say they should be ignored completely? No they shouldn't . But they should not be the primary focus. But through emotionalism and through race pimping, these issues are at the forefront. It's a manipulation of how humans are. That's why there is more outrage for one Trayvon Martin death than 10,000 black on black crimes. More outrage for one Trayvon Martin death than 100,000 deaths due to preventable diseases.

The Trayon case involved the very same people that are sworn to protect everyone, that is the real issue with that case, no really gives a damn about zimmerman. So it was not "race pimping" it is the fact that someone's child was not only killed but covered up by the police. This is something that historically has happened before and blacks do not want this to becoma a norm again. Why are you trying to comopare Trayon's death to an issue that has a direct link to proverty and unemployment? If preventable disease deaths are such an issue, please explain why? Is it because good healthcare is non-affordable or inaccessible?

The black community just like all of America has to stop letting the media give them permission to be upset and to rally around a cause.

Sure so such injustices can continue to be swept under the rug because some whites feel uncomfortable with confronting racism or better yet the truth as it happens to others?

Again I never said that blacks should not focus on racial discrimination, I said the problem is that it's the WRONG KIND of discrimination that is focused on. The wrong kind because there are far more severe situations to focus on. It's a papercut compared to an open gun shot wound by comparison.

There is no such thing as "the wrong kind of racism". Racism period is wrong and should be addressed whenever it happens.

The true discrimination to focus on is the type of garbage processed food that is put in black communities. The Planned Parenthood facilities in black communities. The garbage for entertainment that casts blacks in damaging stereotypical roles whether if it's movies, tv sitcoms, or commercial rap.

I concur, this is why I teach my sons how to respect women, family and others. I also teach them how to respect their community and to know their history. In order for the junk in the media not to have a negative affect on your children is to teach them yourself and to explain why the stuff that they are bombarded with is wrong

You have the problem that many people have. It's too much pride. Not pride in terms of I'm proud of myself. Pride in terms of the kind that comes before the fall.

Maybe so, but "If you don't stand for anything, you will fall for everything". You cannot even rathom what the lost of a religion, culture and language has on group of people. This is something that no other ethnic group can relate to but American Blacks.

You want to project all the shortcomings on some external threat. Again some people do this for America as a whole. They are too prideful to admit how corrupt our nature has become and how it's falling due to treason from within. So they feel comfortable blaming the Al Qaeda boogeyman and illegal immigrants for all our problems

....Or not facing the real probelms which requires to look inward.

I see the same for individuals who spend so much time focusing on police brutality and discrimination in the job market when in reality those areas are no longer anywhere close to the greatest dangers facing the black community

If you are arresting the head of the house for no reason in record numbers and he cannot provide for his family because their is not work, please explain what is a greater danger than poverty?

In the 1950s and 1960s the greatest threat to black America was racist terrorism. In the 21st century the greatest threat are traitors within the black community. Preachers, Teachers, Radio Personalities, Musicians, Drug Dealers, etc

And introverted institutionize racism. The physical threat is all but gone, but it is still there. I will not disagree about what you said but they can only survive as long as there is an outside threat as well.

And his money was green

That might be true, through and through but It was not the coke planes that the blackman flew,
the money was green and the amount made is obscene, but no one said a word when the Kennedy's flip this country the bird making millions of dollars undeterred.

Well meaning whites who really have no fight say things that they rarely understand, trying to explain the wrongs that were done to the otherman. You get some who take to the nod when brother claims that he can't get a job and then turn around and writes that he is just a lazy slob.

So if you really do care don't just sit back a stare, don't get online and try to reason it out, talk to a brother and find out what its really all about. Don't sit and complain about how the race card is played and at the same time wondering who got the Kardisians laid. Take a sister to lunch and keep an open mind you will be suprise on what you might find. In this country everything is not done in black or white, because the key to happiness is doing what is right

Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Carrick is predominantly white and I don't know what Johnny Gammage has to do with this, but is it makes you happy, I also believe Gammage was murdered. I cannot answer when the last time a Pgh cop was disciplined, but many have been fired and the department sued many times. Funny, because a black cop was just fired for the things you speak of.

You are the one who mentioned that blacks consisted of the majority of people arrested, it's funny because I can remember the majority whites being arrested in Uptown for soliciting prostitution and heroin. So lets leave the racial background out of it ok?
Let me answer the question because you apparently don't know. NEVER! As of this date a white police officer has never been fired from beating or killing a blackman in Pittsburgh. It is just ironic that the first cop fired was black. If you are talking about the chief of police, he was fired because of corruption and nothing that he did while on patrol.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 AM

252 posts, read 258,289 times
Don't worry. Delusional white guilt is increasing

Old 04-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Don't worry. Delusional white guilt is increasing

I never understood it when some whites accuse others of having "white guilt" can you explain that to me?

The way that I look at it is the only way that you should feel guilty only if you did something that you did but should not have.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
I never understood it when some whites accuse others of having "white guilt" can you explain that to me?

The way that I look at it is the only way that you should feel guilty only if you did something that you did but should not have.
All white people are supposed to feel guilty because people born long before we ever were enslaved black people.

Never mind that we didn't personally do this - we are guilty just because of our skin color.

Also, never mind that black people enslaved each other, and in fact it was black people who often brought slaves to the traders in return for a healthy profit.

You never hear about "black guilt" however.

I wonder why not.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:

And his money was green

This will never happen, but you are spot on, Kudos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies