Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
rotflmao. A liberal site said what?

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

Here is the correct info.
The data used in the study originated from the CDC, the FBI, and the ATF. It's public data, and the data from the FBI is the same data used by law enforcement. Even if you don't like the findings of the study, the data is not from a questionable source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Who did?

Here's the flow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
I've never posted stats. At least when I do post them concerning something I am willing to defend them and not ignore questions about them.

Quote:
What questions?
I was answering that one.

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
The data used in the study originated from the CDC, the FBI, and the ATF. It's public data, and the data from the FBI is the same data used by law enforcement. Even if you don't like the findings of the study, the data is not from a questionable source.

so if what you say about states having weak gun laws and the murders in those states. per capita, then Wyoming, Montana and Idaho should all have higher murder rates than illinois has, right?

when you compare states you are very correct, but when you compare cities, you are very wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
maybe it is because we have the right to bear arms, vs those countries governments in europe and other places that dont want their private citizens to own firearms.

murders happen, the firearm is just a tool, nothing more. if no firearms were on the planet earth, then murders would still happen.
If a firearm was not a particularly lethal tool, then neither you nor anyone else would have reason to own one.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
so if what you say about states having weak gun laws and the murders in those states. per capita, then Wyoming, Montana and Idaho should all have higher murder rates than illinois has, right?
It's not what I say, it's what the study reports.

I don't know. You tell me, do those states have weak gun laws? Do they have high murder rates? And remember, the study looked at 10 different measures of gun violence, not just homicide.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
It's not what I say, it's what the study reports.

I don't know. You tell me, do those states have weak gun laws? Do they have high murder rates? And remember, the study looked at 10 different measures of gun violence, not just homicide.

per capita I am agreeing with you, when it goes by state. but when you compare cities, you are wrong. cities such as NYC and chicago have a much higher murder rates per capita vs cities than have few to no gun control laws.

I would rather live in the country vs living in a hell hole called chicaaago.

also remember that no cop ever has to respond to any 911 call. it doesnt mean they wont, it just means that they dont have to.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
That list is incredibly flawed because it was designed from the beginning to identify a link between so-called gun laws and deaths by firearms. This data was not gathered to explain violence, nor violence due to guns.

I do not accept that suicide belongs in these rankings at all. Death to ones self, by any means, is not violence inflicted on someone else. A suicide is no threat to anyone.

Alaska's murder rate is actually well below the median of the US. Alaska, however leads the US in suicide.

Why is Texas gun death rate lower than California? California scores highest on the Brady ranking of gun laws. Texas is near the bottom. The two largest states in the US have similar homicide rates, similar death by gun rates, yet radically different gun laws. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE AT WORK HERE.

What about Utah? Brady rates Utah's gun laws as 0 (zero). Most lax in the country. Yet murder by guns is astonishingly low. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE AT WORK HERE.

Median household income is just as good a predictor of violent death rates as this arbitrary gun law ranking.

What about New Hampshire, practically a neighbor to Connecticut? New Hampshire's strength of gun laws are ranked 6 (very low) vs. CT's 58 (high, even before the new laws). Yet NH's gun murder rate is less than one fifth that of CT. There were only 5 gun murders in NH last year.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
rotflmao. A liberal site said what?

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

Here is the correct info.
Great, the most violent states- with the exception of Illinois - are states with weak gun laws :-)
Your link confirms ellemint's statements.

Louisiana 11.2

Mississippi 8.0

New Mexico 7.5

Maryland 6.8

South Carolina 6.8

Alabama 6.3

Michigan 6.2

Arizona 6.2

Missouri 6.1

Tennessee 5.8

Illinois 5.6

Georgia 5.6

Oklahoma 5.5

Arkansas 5.5

North Carolina 5.3

Nevada 5.2

Florida 5.2

Pennsylvania 5.0 5

Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,041 times
Quote:
maybe it is because we have the right to bear arms, vs those countries governments in europe and other places that dont want their private citizens to own firearms.
Sorry, I don't want to be rude, but could I ask where do you get your info?
From Fox News?
Because you're actually writing a lot of BS: I want to inform you that gun ownership rate is STILL LEGAL in Europe.
What a big surprise, isn't it?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What about New Hampshire, practically a neighbor to Connecticut? New Hampshire's strength of gun laws are ranked 6 (very low) vs. CT's 58 (high, even before the new laws). Yet NH's gun murder rate is less than one fifth that of CT. There were only 5 gun murders in NH last year.
Large parts of NH are mountainous and lightly populated. CT is so densely populated in many areas, you can't tell it from New York City. We have major cities like Hartford and Bridgeport, NH doesn't have anything close.

Urban crime is taken into account in that study. So your point is moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies