Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That's fine, but it's not a research study.

The NRA is known for misrepresenting findings and incredible bias in how they report things. I stopped at the title of the report: "Gun ownership at all time high...." No, it's not. There are more guns in the U.S. than ever, but according to many surveys, fewer and fewer households own guns---it's just that a small proportion of gun-owners are buying more and more guns. (And from the sounds of it that includes many of the CD forum gun-owners. There was one guy stating he owned over 300 guns---that is very atypical.) And yes, there is at least one survey showing that household gun ownership has risen slightly in the last year or two, but in general there has been a decline, a very clear decline from levels of the 1970s for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Feel free to pick up the book More guns, less crime by John Lott

Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:

And it is as much of a research study as the link your posting. The NRA could pay some university and have this study posted on their website.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

And it is as much of a research study as the link your posting.
I don't agree. He is a very biased researcher, with questionable data collection practices.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
A very recent article, NOT from a think tank for either the left or the right says "States' crime rates show scant linkage to gun laws"

States' crime rates show scant linkage to gun laws - Washington Times

Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I don't agree. He is a very biased researcher, with questionable data collection practices.
So now John Lott or anything from the NRA is biased but something from the Center for American Progress isn't? Didn't realize this was the comedy section and your just proving my point.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Perhaps our few resident gun nuts are still fondling their "guns" this AM.
One of the most informed and intelligent posts you've made here all year.

I mean, I especially loved your reference to morning masturbation....subtle!

I cannot wait to hear your luminary insights as to the appropriate statistical handling of the data and resultant conclusions.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Again, you are just cherry-picking datas... let me guess... don't tell me: you are an NRA member, are you?
Are you going to tell me that there aren't low-crime areas in gun control states?

Hawaii?
Rhode Island?
Massachussets?
San Diego?
San Jose?
Manhattan?

Nice try.

it isnt cherry picking. you pick what you want, and I pick the kind of area I am familier with. I pick small town USA. I have been living in my area almost 20 years and no murders have happened in that time.

so if you want to cherry pick your data, so can I.

of course there will be lower crime in some gun control cities, but on average the crime is higher in gun control states. after all, who in their right mind wants to take a chance on getting shot in a gun friendly state. that is why there are less murders by guns in states like Wyoming and Montana than illinois or NY.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
A new study released yesterday by The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence reported "a clear link between high levels of gun violence and weak state gun laws."
I looked over your study.

1. Note that none of the people that completed the study have any sort of educational references or things like PHD statistics behind their names? This should be your first warning sign.

2. They made a host of inherent simpleton assumptions like not adjusting for poverty rates. To put it in laymans terms, it would be like looking at inner city schools, nothing their low test scores and then assigning the blame to their skin color while ignoring other factors like poverty. Yes, that is the methodology that is being used here.

Pretty much it's a steaming pile of crap put out by a biased research group.

There may be some truth to thier claim, but without doing proper multivariate analysis we will never know.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
The truth is that opposed to the idea that tighter gun control laws will have no effect, just about anything you do to address violence helps to some degree. It only makes sense.

Just about any measure you take to chip away at a problem is going to have some effect. It's unfortuante that so many people seem to see it as a black & white issue. Gun control = "they're comin' for all your guns!"---which is simply not true. Or, "criminals don't obey laws." Well, no, but if we made murder legal, would that solve anything? The threat of punishment and prison stops an awful lot of people from committing crimes. Tighter gun control laws work, not 100 %, because nothing works 100% of the time, but they do have an effect.
Believe it or not (you probably don't) I think most gun owners want sensible laws to keep guns away from those that shouldn't have them. Straw sales should be outlawed but more importantly enforced. Background checks? Strengthen them.

Register existing guns? No. And that's because most gun owners do not trust our government officials. No matter what Obama or Feinstein says to the contrary, gun owners believe registration makes them targets for further legal action.

You advocate very different positions. You want weapons and magazines banned. You have said so many times here. Yet there is nearly zero evidence that banning "assault weapons" has any effect on crime. Banning large capacity magazines? Same thing. Adam Lanza, a deranged human being, would have killed just as many 1st graders in a class room with handguns.

Yet you argue as many do - that "it makes sense" because you ignore how things actually will play out (and have already).

NYC's police programs, begun over twenty years ago, serve as a great example of how to reduce crime. Its success had nothing to do with gun laws.

Wash DC, a city with its own boundaries like NYC, has the highest murder rate of a "state" in the US. And it has highly restrictive gun laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies