Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'll try again beause I'm curious.

This is what Rachel told Bernie in her interview about the yelling voice ---

"It could be Trayvon. Like I said, I don't know but it could be. The dude sounded kind of like Trayvon. Trayvon do got that soft voice and that baby voice sometimes. So, it could be, I don't know."

At trial she said It was Trayvon.
-------------------
I'm trying to understand why those statements are so different to me. Is it because I don't know Little Haiti or live in Miami or spend time with teenagers ? Would other people, say Rachel's or tm's friends, or their school classmates or teachers, or Sybrina, or crump, or Miami urban youth, interpret what she told Bernie as 'It was Trayvon'. Or is it you wanting the words to mean 'It was Trayvon.'

[btw, the screaming voice didn't sound like a soft, baby voice to me.]
Yes, I think people familiar who live in Miami, or who have lived in Miami, who are familiar with Little Haiti and all the other many little enclaves in Miami, Miami urban youth, etc., would interpret what she said the same as I did. IMO, people who live in Miami understand that culture influences how people communicate and what they are trying to say.

Most people in this country simply do not "get" how different Miami is from the rest of our big cities. For example, Spanish is ALMOST the dominant language there. It is a real international city. In the criminal court house you hear Spanish far more than English, and I'm talking about court personnel too, not just "outsiders" coming to the court house to conduct business. A very LARGE number of attorneys in Miami speak Spanish, otherwise they would have problems earning much of a living because so many clients speak Spanish. No, Rachel did not appear to be a Spanish speaker, however, in Little Haiti you've got the Haitian Creole French. Communication is affected by culture.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:50 AM

370 posts, read 247,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
OMG...the outrage over a teen calling a creepy guy following him a "creepy ass cracker".
What is the proper etiquette when referring to the creepy stranger following you without good reason or introducing himself? "The dapper gentlemen"?
hahaha. keep dodging..that's not what the "outrage" is about.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
You were not there just as none of us were there and yet you profile and stereotype a teen that was spooked and creeped out because he was being followed by the guy whose lies throughout this process you are totally excusing. Why are you so quck to dismiss the lies of Zimmerman while demonizing a teen for taking defensive action while creeped out? Not a rhetorical question.

EXPOSING The Many LIES Of George Zimmerman!!

EXPOSING The Many LIES Of George Zimmerman!! - YouTube
Yep, he lied so much that the investigating cop believed him. You know, the guys we're supposed to back away and leave our lives in their hands? Yeah, those cops.

You can't have it both ways. An experienced cop investigated the shooting, right after it occurred no less and determined (as testified to) that he believed G.Z. was telling the truth about what happened.

So, you and others constantly state that G.Z. should have left all this up to the police but when it comes back different than what YOU want to believe it's all of a sudden wrong?

That detective would have ended the whole thing had it not been for the race issue that's being milked for all it's worth by race who*es (media et al).

Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
This thread is becoming a mess. Later today, this thread will be closed and a new one will be posted for the resumption of the trial.

IswearIneedtosleeplesstokeepupwiththisthread
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
"Creepy" was the operative word there or don't you realize that. I addresed this days ago. Sorry, but "Cracker" never offended me, but maybe that is because I'm not a southerner and have no Confederate roots...thankfully.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
I know, sorry! The outrage is that this black kid was walking around at night, huh?

1,458 posts, read 1,398,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
This thread is becoming a mess. Later today, this thread will be closed and a new one will be posted for the resumption of the trial.

IswearIneedtosleeplesstokeepupwiththisthread
LOL

One of the problems with the threads is that there have been so many closed and new ones started. It then becomes literally impossible to go back and follow basic evidence that was posted. Of course, when evidence is not really responded to, the threads become a real mess.

Maybe you're right though. You need your sleep

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
Me as well. But as cases like this point out, it's not the media's fault at all, they are merely feeding the appetite society has for biased and racially charged stories. By way of example, the pictures of the two parties showed how today's "media" fights it out for readers. We had GZ in the orange prison garb, and the young TM. People are still hung up on this, and they started to put up fake pictures of TM. By then, many had already taken their respective "sides" in this case. Unfortunately, most cared little for actually happened, they were too caught up in divisive stories by then.

Much has been written about this case, and there exists a tremendous amount of real evidence, videos, interviews, crime scene reports, autopsy reports, written narrative by the defendant, etc... Some have tried to discuss these items, and try to understand what really happened here. The fact that there is so much in the way of evidence and witnesses makes this an ongoing discussion, or so I thought.

Much of the evidence in this case comes from George Zimmerman himself. We had eyewitness testimony that while not perfect, at least it depicted what was happening at the correct crime scene. TM on top of GZ. What exactly was happening at that moment is still not clear. You must retrace the steps from the statements and interviews from GZ. If you do that, you'd be asking how did this encounter that started at the Tee move down to where it ultimately ended? That is still an unanswered question. Anyone that has read the various statements, and watched the re-enactment video would wonder what the answer is to that question. At least those that are intellectually curious about this case, not necessarily those that took a side, which appears to be the majority.

One very important positive for Zimmerman was the setup by police. During the interview, Zimmerman was told that the entire incident was taped. Zimmerman's reaction was "thank God". Now skeptical folks would say GZ is simply a pathological liar and simply so good the police can't fool him. That's possible too. But since it's all we have, it's part of the story. We don't know why the autopsy showed no signs of injuries to TM's knuckles or hands. We know there was a small cut on the left finger, but that's all. Those of us that actually read the autopsy report that is. Some continue to report otherwise.

I've been up in the air on this case for some time now. While it's quite obvious to anyone with an open mind that Zimmerman's story doesn't jive with the crime scene, and lots of his statements don't match up with what we know to be true, it still doesn't make him guilty of murder 2. That's all this case is about. George Zimmerman could be the guiltiest man alive, but you still have to prove it. Do I have doubts? You bet.

But I don't have to take nasty statements off web sites, and make up things that simply are not true to follow this case. I think this case shows how nasty society is today, and is a much larger indictment of some people in general than it is on either Trayvon or George. What it's shown me is that a large percentage of folks have a Need for the reinforcement of their own thinking and ideology. That ideology demonstrated by both "sides", has continually shown me that it's not the media that's at fault, it's the ones they cater to. After all, when people continually quote erroneous stories time after time, is it fair to blame the media that produces real information for being the problem?
I have checked around on-line and still believe the media drives the narrative. I went to Greta Van Susteren's site to see what she possibly put out and she even had the 12 year old image of TM up. Thinking that Fox was fair and balanced. lol Of course, I certainly don't believe that. There is a lot of bias in the media, and some of it is very hard to decipher.

You can hunt around, but overall, the misconceptions are more prevalent than the truth.

And I still believe that people are influenced by what they see and hear. Case in point, when I would read stories to my children while they were growing up, they wanted to be every character - pirate, police officer, doctor, etc.

I also watched, on our local news, 6 high school girls being interviewed. They were all pregnant. The reporter asked them to share their stories. ALL of them said that the "movies" they watched made them feel that was "real" life. That was their perception.

So, I still contend that what we see and hear influences us greatly. That point can also be proved in a book I read a number of years ago, Spin Sisters: How the Women of the Media Sell Unhappiness --- and Liberalsim --- to the Women of America. The author is the former editor-in-chief of Ladies Home Journal.

Someone mentioned whether or not I have listened to the music our young people are listening to today. Sure I have. I can then see how TM writes in a Tweet - "Plzz shoot da #mf dat lied 2 u!"

Media feeding the appetite of the people? I think it is influencing the way people think, and in turn feeding the beast as well.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM

370 posts, read 247,168 times
Quote:
"Creepy" was the operative word there or don't you realize that. I addresed this days ago. Sorry, but "Cracker" never offended me, but maybe that is because I'm not a southerner and have no Confederate roots...thankfully.

It doesn't matter what does or doesn't offend you personally...Nevertheless, to negroes you're just another "cracker"...and it is a derogatory term to describe white people.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
IF 'cracker' is a slur in that culture, then its use is offensive and conveys an attitude on the part of the individual using it.

"Creepy" is insignificant and not race specific; a person of any race can be described as creepy. Only whites, as I understand it are called 'crackers' by blacks. That makes the term racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies